4LHA-Stp 1,000 hour service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Just posting this as an informational thread for those who may be reaching this same point with their motors.

2005 Mainship 400, twin Yanmar 4LHA-Stp, 997 hours.

Labor: $2,000 flat fee.

Services:

Replace both raw water pumps, Depco pump. $1,303.72 total for both. I could have had the old ones rebuilt for around $725.00, total, but Depco advised me that the fixed cams were heavily grooved, that the rebuild would not last long and that they would not be rebuildable again. I was anticipating the cost of a rebuild, so this was a bit of a setback, but it seemed like a rebuild was throwing good money after bad, so I replaced them. Kept the old pumps as spares.

Ultrasonic cleaning/rebuilding/servicing Heat exchangers, oil coolers, and aftercoolers. Payton Marine services. $1,624.

Coolant flush and replacement. $50

Transmission inspection and fluid change. $20

Exhaust elbow and mixing elbow inspection. They are in good shape. I replaced my OEM elbows and mixers 5 years ago with cast stainless aftermarket elbows. They have held up really well, better than the Yanmar elbows would have, according to my mechanic.

Turbo inspection. Looked good.

Install serpentine belt kit on port side. Electromax, $450.00. I will likely do the starboard side as well in the future but for now I am testing the kit on the port side. We put it there because it is the tougher side to adjust.

Adjust idle both engines. Included in labor.

Adjust valves, both engines. Included in labor.

All new zincs. $75.00

Painting. Included in labor.

Various hose and clamp replacement as needed. Most looked good (I have been replacing them piece meal as I work on the motors over the years, so no surprise there.

Not due for oil change or fuel filter changes, so we skipped that.

A little more $ than I expected, like always, but I feel good about it overall.

Wow, over 5 grand. I'm glad I can still do all that myself, at least for a few more years.

That certainly is a cadillac approach. Next time we debate which has the lowest maintenance costs, diesel or gas, let's remember these numbers.

This is a reminder of a principle we talk about here all of the time. The core of a diesel engine will last a long time, but the marine stuff is just as vulnerable for diesels as gassers and is what usually takes them both down.

So, if you don't keep up with the things Dougcole just did, a diesel isn't likely to last much longer than a gasser.

David

Last edited:
Most of it is within my skills as well, except the aftercoolers. I just wanted it done more quickly and i have a great mechanic who I really trust. We are spending two to three months in the Bahamas this summer and I wanted him to go over everything.

Even if I had pulled the components myself I would have taken them to the same place to have them rebuilt and sonic blasted, so mo savings there. Only $2k of it was labor. Personally, for all he did I think that is a darn good deal. He normally charges me $70 an hour if I assist him but he did all of this work alone.

You got a good deal. I paid that for single engine 1k service last yr. Approx 2800 in labor alone

That certainly is a cadillac approach. Next time we debate which has the lowest maintenance costs, diesel or gas, let's remember these numbers.

This is a reminder of a principle we talk about here all of the time. The core of a diesel engine will last a long time, but the marine stuff is just as vulnerable for diesels as gassers and is what usually takes them both down.

So, if you don't keep up with the things Dougcole just did, a diesel isn't likely to last much longer than a gasser.

David

David, do you think replacing the pumps instead of a rebuild was the right move?

Probably money well spent - based on the headaches alone. I can’t speak for the 400, but on my Mainship 390, working around those twin motors was a PITA! Especially anything on the outboard sides next to the fuel tanks. I cursed the Mainship design/engineers many times on mine. There was zero forethought in regards to future repairs or replacement on any systems throughout that boat. :facepalm:

Sure - it’s all doable DIY. But i decided years ago that sometime the money spent was worth it. Let someone else curse and sweat and come out of the engine space with bleeding knuckles. I’ll curse once as I write the check with a drink in the other hand! ;)

David, do you think replacing the pumps instead of a rebuild was the right move?

The pumps on the Yanmars 4LHA are throw aways meaning the cam is built into the pump and cannot be changed. Yes a costly item BUT would you be willing to risk an engine overheat due to poor pump performance? Most likely, if the engine had low hours like yours, the pump is probably fine unless sand and debris is is routinely sucked into the pump. I have 2 of the same engines and I work in the business.

Probably money well spent - based on the headaches alone. I can’t speak for the 400, but on my Mainship 390, working around those twin motors was a PITA! Especially anything on the outboard sides next to the fuel tanks. I cursed the Mainship design/engineers many times on mine. There was zero forethought in regards to future repairs or replacement on any systems throughout that boat. :facepalm:

Sure - it’s all doable DIY. But i decided years ago that sometime the money spent was worth it. Let someone else curse and sweat and come out of the engine space with bleeding knuckles. I’ll curse once as I write the check with a drink in the other hand! ;)

Yeah, I get your point for sure. I do A LOT of DIY, enjoy most of it, and like saving money. I was pretty surprised a few months back in a thread on synthetic teak flooring where posters were not balking at spending $5k to $10k in labor for the install, a job that anyone with basic DIY skills can do in a couple of weekends. But sometimes it is just nice to let someone else get dirty.

As far as ER access on the 400, the aftercooler on the starboard side is tough to get to, that's the worst part. The port side heat exchanger is a little challenging but not terrible, same for the oil cooler. I can pull the port side RW pump (I do it all the time for impeller changes) in about 15 minutes and remount it in 10 to 40 minutes, depending on how well the shaft lines up. I haven't spent much time in the ER of a 390, but based on your post it sounds worse than the 400. There is about 8" more ER headroom in the 400, not sure about the other specs.

I am at the point where I need to think about the 1000 hour service too. I am a bit over 1100 hours but I can't seem to find a Yanmar guy/gal closer than about 50 miles from my home port. I had someone lined up to adjust the valves over the winter who was walking distance away but he backed out after I asked him for a written estimate.

I may have to arrange a trip somewhere just to have someone to do the work.

Doug, how many hours or days did it take to do this work. I'm mainly interested in how long it took for the valve adjustment and inspections of the turbos, aftercoolers, heat exchangers etc. and not including sending stuff out for testing or cleaning.

Gary

I am at the point where I need to think about the 1000 hour service too. I am a bit over 1100 hours but I can't seem to find a Yanmar guy/gal closer than about 50 miles from my home port. I had someone lined up to adjust the valves over the winter who was walking distance away but he backed out after I asked him for a written estimate.

I may have to arrange a trip somewhere just to have someone to do the work.

Doug, how many hours or days did it take to do this work. I'm mainly interested in how long it took for the valve adjustment and inspections of the turbos, aftercoolers, heat exchangers etc. and not including sending stuff out for testing or cleaning.

Gary

Not 100% sure how many hours he put in it. The guy I work with is a tech for the local Yanmar dealer and he does work for me after hours/on the side. I'm not sure how I got so lucky. He quoted me a flat fee for labor and that is what I paid him. We never put anything in writing or have any sort of formal estimate.

The valve adjustment is a pretty quick job on it's own, maybe two hours of work, max. Inspecting the mixers, elbows and turbos is pretty straight forward but to really get a good idea on the condition of the coolers, especially the aftercooler (the most important one IMO) you need to pull them. And after you have pulled them you might as well do the rebuild.

Anyway, it took him three weeks to complete the job, including sown time for the coolers to be redone and the pumps to come in. And like I said, he was working in his spare time.

If you have not done your aftercoolers and elbows at 1,100 hours I think you are overdue.

Hope that helps.

Doug

Gary, I just looked my invoice and the tech put in 28hrs. I had this done over the winter, so if you do store it off season perhaps you store it at a yard who could do the service.

Doug, just had an exhaust elbow flange separate while underway. It cannot be welded, must be replaced. I have been looking at HDI stainless for replacement,and for same price as Yanmar elbow, I can get stainless elbow and mixer. We have about 900 hrs on a 2004 Mainship 400 with twin 4LHA-STP. Do you think I should do both engines with stainless elbows now, or just one at a time? Luckily the broken one is the stbd, much easier to access.

if you have the money & plan to keep the boat, i'd do both. i replaced my (1) with HDI. great product, perfect fit on our 6lya.

Doug, just had an exhaust elbow flange separate while underway. It cannot be welded, must be replaced. I have been looking at HDI stainless for replacement,and for same price as Yanmar elbow, I can get stainless elbow and mixer. We have about 900 hrs on a 2004 Mainship 400 with twin 4LHA-STP. Do you think I should do both engines with stainless elbows now, or just one at a time? Luckily the broken one is the stbd, much easier to access.

Yes, if you can afford it, I would do both at the same time. If one went, the other is likely not far behind and it is better to replace them before they go. Also, if they are not spraying water due to corrosion you could melt an exhaust hose.

I'm not familiar with HDI, but if it is cast stainless it is a much better option, in my opinion, than the Yanmar OEM elbows, which are WAY overpriced for what they are. My stainless elbows are six years old at this point and are showing virtually no sign of wear or corrosion. The Yanmar elbows are supposed to be replaced every few years.

If your elbows are original and have 900 hours on them plus 15 or so years of "marine age" they are due for replacement. An exhaust leak is a real pain. Sounds like you may have faced that already.

Good luck.

Doug

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom