390 Davit mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm looking for information about mounting davits to the upper deck of my 390. Specifically for mounting photos. I haven't found any detailed photos online. If you have this type of setup, I would love to see your mounting system.

I'm using Martek 600 davits.

Thanks for your time.
Ron

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170222-212922.jpg
    Screenshot_20170222-212922.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 306
Interesting idea.

My first thought is toward weight distribution and stability. Add a motor... And rainwater.

My second thought is toward dynamic loading; it's one thing to mount the davits on the hull where you could hope to rest assured that things are heavily-built. It's quite another to follow the loads down through a structure that is relatively lightly-built.

My third thought is to go back to the manufacturer, even though a 390 is an older model, and there were several versions of that boat over the years, and the ownership of the mfr has changed (I recall).

And last, I Googled 'Mainship 390' images and note that there appears to be a variety of arrangements of metal support posts under the flybridge overhang, from none to two of various appearances of heftyness and location. (Your pictured boat has three.) Adding posts of the correct heft and connection to hull below and through the flybridge to the davit is probably the key bit of engineering, presuming the stability is not an issue.

Interesting idea.
My first thought is toward weight distribution and stability. Add a motor... And rainwater.

That just looks scary. The weight isn't any higher than if the boat was sitting on the boat deck, but still.... There is a lot more motion up that high than down below, putting a lot more stress on the davits and the supporting structure.

The other question I have is how would you clear the swim step when lowering the dinghy?

That's actually a pretty common davit arrangement found on lots of 390's. I don't recall any conversation about any issues, and if I has a 390 that's the davit system I would want

:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom