Old 08-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #41

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonW28 View Post
I think this is exactly the way mine is currently configured. The 2d group 27 is for the stern thruster the PO added. I really need to get a bit smarter about this stuff before trying Bahamas trips. The 14 days down to Key West was a learning experience for me as our previous long trip was only 7 days and less than 200 miles. I've been offshore boating and diving my entire life but not living on the things. Very different experience that returning to port every night.

Don
Don,
I compliment you. Most people, including me, when they start to cruise donít figure this stuff out until the first time they anchor for days at a time and THEN it dawns on them that battery consumption and recharging must be understood and managed differently than when under power every day. I think you are almost there with understanding configuration. Just need to overlay charger(s), alternator, and any combiners. Take them one at a time.
Jeff
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Tampa
Vessel Name: Happy Wife
Vessel Model: Hatteras 53 MY
Here is the site for the water maker. Good stuff on you tube also for them.

https://seawaterpro.com/
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #43

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Interesting to follow this thread. Many different points of view, all experience based and all valid. It does, however, highlight the diverse cruising styles ranging from 100% marinas every night to extended time at anchor in remote areas. Obviously, dc power and water consumption and management, as well as dinghy/outboard differ depending on style. For a new cruiser, difficult to know where you will fall until you go try it. Do strongly believe though that if you think you will lean toward anchoring, need to prepare for it.
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc180 View Post
Interesting to follow this thread. Many different points of view, all experience based and all valid. It does, however, highlight the diverse cruising styles ranging from 100% marinas every night to extended time at anchor in remote areas. Obviously, dc power and water consumption and management, as well as dinghy/outboard differ depending on style. For a new cruiser, difficult to know where you will fall until you go try it. Do strongly believe though that if you think you will lean toward anchoring, need to prepare for it.
Wifey B: When it comes to the watermaker, I suspect a lot of those posting have little to no hair. I have long hair. Most of our traveling companions have long hair. Hubby even has rather long hair. Makes a huge difference. We shower daily and they are not short showers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote