Old 10-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

City: Harriman, TN
Vessel Name: Anchors Away
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Unhappy 2000 Mainship 390 No Serial Number on Cat Engine

Surveyed, hauled and sea trialed 2000 Mainship 390 with (according to the listing) 3126 in it. Engine had been removed to install new pan and gasket. When it was out, the current owner had it soda blasted and repainted. All stickers with serial number, specs, etc. were removed before painting. Current owner doesn´t know serial number, or have any invoices with number on it; he did have the survey when he bought the boat which says it is a 3116. My diesel surveyor couldn't find one, but swears it is a 3126. My broker swears it is a 3116. Is the serial number etched or stamped on the engine somewhere such that it can be seen? Already gotten input on location from Boat Diesel. Or can I somehow cross the Hull ID # with the engine that was installed new by Mainship? This has been a cluster since 10/26/20 when surveys were done. Suggestions? Thanks.
Bullnuke675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Sorry can’t help with a Cat. What else did the survey show? Good luck with the purchase.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Ouch! I can’t say enough about how important that serial number is. If seller can not come up with it then I would renegotiate the price or walk. CAT tracks all their engines. It’s possible that they might be able to give you the serial numbers for engines sold to main ship in that year. I’m sure there would be a fee involved and they won’t know what boat it went into.

Also, who worked on the engine? They might have the serial number recorded in their records. I have the serial number recorded in my logs and written down in my parts catalog.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Hull was dry. Bottom paint good. Lower helm door to stbd stuck shut/inoperable. Engine freshwater leak; had to add 2.5 gallons water and coolant before sea trials. Many maintenance items not critical to safety. Just gotta get onboard and get to work. Need that engine serial number to know history and get correct repair parts.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

Thanks tiltrider1. Yup, kind've a big deal. Broker and I are headed to boat to find the number. Should be etched or stamped stbd side aft on horizontal ledge above the starter. Otherwise, confident boat has been well taken care of with expected age-related issues.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
The question is.... how the heck could the PO maintain the engine without the SN???
Old 10-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I don't know but I meticulously maintain my Lehman 120s and never have had to know the serial number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
The question is.... how the heck could the PO maintain the engine without the SN???
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:30 PM   #8

Just back from boat. Found etched on top of a horizontal rib about 6 inches forward of the starter on the stbd side aft. Under layer of primer and paint. *4KG#####* = 3116. Asterisks before and after serial number. Mystery solved. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I don't know but I meticulously maintain my Lehman 120s and never have had to know the serial number.
CAT motors are designed for many different applications. This means the oil pan could be one of 3 sizes or the oil filter can be located in 3 different places or the starter motor can be located in two different places. There are different exhaust headers and the list goes on. CAT tracks all this info by serial number. They can even tell you if your engine was sold as a matched pair for OEM or sold to a dealer as a replacement engine. When you give a Cat dealer your serial number they can send you the exact replacement part for your engine, assuming you didn’t repurpose the engine from one application to a different application.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #10

Thanks for that info, tiltrider1. Good clarification.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: MACH IV
Vessel Model: Mainship390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnuke675 View Post
Surveyed, hauled and sea trialed 2000 Mainship 390 with (according to the listing) 3126 in it. Engine had been removed to install new pan and gasket. When it was out, the current owner had it soda blasted and repainted. All stickers with serial number, specs, etc. were removed before painting. Current owner doesn´t know serial number, or have any invoices with number on it; he did have the survey when he bought the boat which says it is a 3116. My diesel surveyor couldn't find one, but swears it is a 3126. My broker swears it is a 3116. Is the serial number etched or stamped on the engine somewhere such that it can be seen? Already gotten input on location from Boat Diesel. Or can I somehow cross the Hull ID # with the engine that was installed new by Mainship? This has been a cluster since 10/26/20 when surveys were done. Suggestions? Thanks.
Hi.. Easy One.. Look at the engine.. The 3116 is a 6.9 liter block & the 3126 is a 7.2 Liter block.. What serial # is the hull. The change, for emission reasons, changed in very early 2000. Is your hull # below 200? ..................Ken, Tampa
Ken Ongemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #12

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ongemach View Post
Hi.. Easy One.. Look at the engine.. The 3116 is a 6.9 liter block & the 3126 is a 7.2 Liter block.. What serial # is the hull. The change, for emission reasons, changed in very early 2000. Is your hull # below 200? ..................Ken, Tampa
Hey Ken did you just come over from the yahoo forum? I seem to recognize your name. If so, welcome to TF
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #13

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: MACH IV
Vessel Model: Mainship390
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
Hey Ken did you just come over from the yahoo forum? I seem to recognize your name. If so, welcome to TF
Hi Kevin... Thanks, figured I'd jump over & bring all my info, manuals, & support info along.... Ken
Ken Ongemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Not so easy to tell just by looking at engine. Can't tell block size by looking. With no stickers, gotta find the engraved serial number. However, believe 3116s have coolant cooled aftercooler, which this engine has. Believe 3126s have raw water cooled AC. Not sure if hull number is below 200. How do you tell?
Old 11-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #15

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
Before you purchase, run the serial number by Caterpillar. The 3116 was the Caterpillar that had issues with the block. I did not buy a 1997 MS350 with a 3116 after I ran the number thru Caterpillar. The sequence of serial numbers for that year fell in to the sequence that had trouble with the block. After about 800hrs one or both of the front cylinders would develop a crack. The engine would start to smoke and loose power.
Just a heads up.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Hi Kevin... Thanks, figured I'd jump over & bring all my info, manuals, & support info along.... Ken
Good to hear from you Ken it's been a very long time.

Mainship changed from 3116 to 3126 at around hull number 197/198.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote