30 Pilot II mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I just had the upper half of the 6-inch thick, folding bed mattress in my Pilot rebuilt with 2 inches of memory foam underlain with 4 inches of medium foam base. I do not know what mattress types may be on other Mainship vessels or even on other Pilots, but before this we have had to add a mattress topper to the bed on our boat in order to get even a modicum of comfort when sleeping aboard. When sleeping on this folding affair, our hips and above rest on the upper half of the bed. Because the lower half of the mattress folds under, that half of the mattress is fastened to the under-folding plywood base, and I elected to leave that portion of the mattress alone.

Until I got a look at the innards of the disassembled original mattress at the upholsterer's shop, I had not realized that it was an inner spring type. There was the thinnest layer of generic foam between us and the springs. No wonder I was ready to head home due to pressure point pains shortly after we climbed into bed the first night we spent aboard.

The admiral and I have been testing the new mattress half here in the den lying crosswise on it, and it seems quite comfy.

Back
Top Bottom