30 Pilot II fuel return mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
My Pilot came to me with fuel return for the main engine solely to the port tank. I have talked with another owner who said his was solely to stbd. In either case, I consider this feature a deficiency. For instance, if my port tank were to develop plugged supply line, the 11-gallon per hour return when "on plane" at 2900 RPM (Yanmar 315-HP burning 7.8 GPH) would continue going to the port tank and thence over the side through the vent once the tank filled, unless the almost 20 GPH throughput drained the stbd tank stopping the engine. If my port tank developed a leak, I would never be able to keep fuel out of it pending repair. Another issue I have is that when I fill one tank (which I often do at my pier), the fuel never fully equalizes from side to side. With the ability to direct the return to the low-fuel side, I can pretty quickly rsolve the imbalance - I made a previous mod to allow me to check both tanks at my helm console tank gauge.

So today with 20-plus feet of 3/8" fuel hose and a few brass fittings I plumbed the return fuel line coming out of my Floscan sensor to both tanks with a selector valve arrangement allowing return to either or both tanks. My plan is to leave return fuel going to both tanks but send to one tank only whenever I should need to do so.

Back
Top Bottom