2009 Mainship bow compartment access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panhead56

Veteran Member
I’m trying to gain access to the bow compartment area. Apparently our A/C raw water discharge hose may have a kink. I can see where the hose disappears from the air conditioning thru a wood wall between the forward A/C area (under the state room bed) and the bow compartment.
I tried to remove the bed headboard, but after removing the two screws the headboard will not budge.
I was hoping that someone might have knowledge on gaining access to this area.

Thanks,

I've been into that area several times on our '08 34 HT.
Mine just had the 2-3 screws towards the bottom. Mine had no sealant / adhesive but that could be a possibility. My screws were sort of buried in the fabric.., any chance there are more?
If not I'd try prying near an edge to see if there is any give and where its attached.
That area has AC & anchor locker drain and is where I added a through hull fog and ran a new larger straighter holding tank vent to eliminate an odor problem.

On my 2006 MS 34 FB access is thru the head board opening. Head board is only attached with velcro

Thank you for the advice on how to remove the headboard. There were a total of four screws, 2 on the bottom and 2 on the sides near the top hidden in the fabric. I attached a photo of what I found. The raw water white discharge hose was attached to the elbow thru hull fitting from the top? After many years with no support the hose eventually kinked.
Because of this loop connection, when the A/C pump shuts down the raw water will sit in the hose with no way to drain.
I would like to turn the thru hull fitting so that the hose can connect in such a way, raw water will drain.
I was wondering if you remember how your discharge hose was connected to your thru hull fitting?
Thanks

Hopefully the photo attached now.

Attachments

• C99633B6-AB2A-4E3D-8C9A-1C16D0C8CD0B.jpeg
    C99633B6-AB2A-4E3D-8C9A-1C16D0C8CD0B.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 110
Apparently there was only 1 hose clamp, and the clamp was not properly clamped around the hose. Looks like it was leaking for a long time.

Attachments

• AEDE4DEF-6A56-45E1-BAE2-F7B632777899.jpg
    AEDE4DEF-6A56-45E1-BAE2-F7B632777899.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 27
I'd guess PO has messed with the hose / clamp maybe shortened it?
If there isn't enough slack to pull more hose up and form a good loop and support it with wire ties to the anchor drain I'd consider replacing it with a longer hose. Access under the bed shouldn't be too bad and it's not that long of a run.
I think you want to keep the raw water line full as the pump will not self prime if it looses the head.
If you don't want to leave raw water in the system a better way would be to hook up a flushing T & valve near the AC sea cock to flush the whole system with FW.
I'm getting ready to do essentially that so I can use my raw water pump to pump pink AF through my AC system at the same time I winterize my raw water. (I'm in fresh water so not concerned with salt in raw water. The same could be done from the fresh water pump & piping.

I supported the existing hose with wire ties. There was enough hose to properly support. Good point about the pump not being able to prime.
A while back I purchased a flushing cap for my Groco strainer, and will continue flushing with fresh water when checking/cleaning the basket.

You had mentioned about installing a larger vent hose for the holding tank. We have a slight odor periodically. I’m getting ready to flush out the existing holding tank vent soon, hopefully that may work.
If not can you tell me what size vent did you use. I guess you installed a new outlet in your existing holding tank? Did you leave the existing vent connected?
The big question, by adding the larger vent did that resolve the odor issue?
Thank you

I used my existing tank vent fitting and installed the largest barb & hose I could. My vent fitting was on the front of the tank and easily accessible thru fwd cabin hatch in the sole. Dire t access under the bed was an easy snake to the fwd area you are into behind the headboard. I installed a straight mushroom thru hull in the same are as the other thru hull drains. My previous vent was next to useless and I could not access it to change / enlarge it so I just abandoned it. If you need or want to add a fitting to the tank Headmistress has recommended a fitting to do it easy... I just forget the name but search her posts and it should pop up.
Re smell... I had pretty much eliminated my strong odor problem by adding a tank bubbler and switching to Nobles/ sodium percarbonate before I found the new vent alternative. I did the vent upgrade as a belt & suspenders as it wasn't all that difficult nor expensive.
If / when my 5 yr old bubbler quits ill likely try the vent alone to see if I need to replace the bubbler.
Even if the tank turns smelly I'd much rather it be at the bow, away from the dock or aft deck where we spend a lot of time.

I used my existing tank vent fitting and installed the largest barb & hose I could. My vent fitting was on the front of the tank and easily accessible thru fwd cabin hatch in the sole. Dire t access under the bed was an easy snake to the fwd area you are into behind the headboard. I installed a straight mushroom thru hull in the same are as the other thru hull drains. My previous vent was next to useless and I could not access it to change / enlarge it so I just abandoned it. If you need or want to add a fitting to the tank Headmistress has recommended a fitting to do it easy... I just forget the name but search her posts and it should pop up.
Re smell... I had pretty much eliminated my strong odor problem by adding a tank bubbler and switching to Nobles/ sodium percarbonate before I found the new vent alternative. I did the vent upgrade as a belt & suspenders as it wasn't all that difficult nor expensive.
If / when my 5 yr old bubbler quits ill likely try the vent alone to see if I need to replace the bubbler.
Even if the tank turns smelly I'd much rather it be at the bow, away from the dock or aft deck where we spend a lot of time.

Great information. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom