Old 06-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

City: Cranston RI
Vessel Name: AnnaDee
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
2006 Mainship list to port

Just bought my first boat ! MS400. It lists to port. I'm sure it's the house bank of batteries. 4 golf cart bats. So to compensate I want to just fill the starboard h20 tank. When I fill it now it equalizes to the port tank. Any thoughts ?
AnnaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Tom, I had a similar issue last year as one fuel tank was hiring more than other. Turns out I had a clogged fuel filter which I replaced and problem went away. Are your fuel levels even? Was there any aftermarket add one?

Btw we are based in Warwick.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynee View Post
Just bought my first boat ! MS400. It lists to port. I'm sure it's the house bank of batteries. 4 golf cart bats. So to compensate I want to just fill the starboard h20 tank. When I fill it now it equalizes to the port tank. Any thoughts ?
If 4 golf cart batteries (= one 240lb. guy) on one side of a 40' boat produces a noticeable list, I'd suspect there is more weight somewhere.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Guru

Are there any additions that may cause this? Full size fridge, generator?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I use 25# bags of reclaimed lead shot-gun shell lead to occasionally re-balance the boat. I place them in out-of-the-way cubbies where they cannot shift in any seaway. The fuel and water tanks must be full to ensure ballast accuracy. Or, one must be certain that their levels are both very close.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Old Lyme
Vessel Name: Outlander
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
Congratulations on the new boat. The water tanks are connected so they should equalize. I have 2 8D batts on each side for house, engine and inverter.
Capt Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

Hey Lollygag. I think you're on to something. The more we cruise the worst it seems to be getting. I'll check those fuel filters. We're up in Pawtuxet cove. 1st year with a boat. Just dropped the hook at Godard. Narraganset bay is awesome.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #9

Looks like it might be just one of the fuel tanks being used. I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #10

Thanks Mike. While I have you. Is the port side outside cutesy light not working even though the bulbs are good ?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Guru

Ha, I live at the other end of Pawtucxet cove. PM me we can set up a meet at O'rourkes for some Irish nacho's. Narragansett Bay is fun to explore, lot of good anchorages and places to hang.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

The only add on is the aft bow thruster. It is on the listing side. I think it's the fuel tank. I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Guru

Fuel transfer valve may also be closed/blocked on one tank. Check the fuel levels which should be a good indicator. This is how we diagnosed and fixed the problem
Old 06-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #14

City: Wilton, CT
I had the same problem with my 2006 MS400 single engine with a stern thruster. The thruster motor prevented the port water tank discharge line to have a straight line to the T fitting coming off of the starboard tank. This caused the port tank to maintain a higher water level. Solution was to install a inline shutoff valve in the port tank discharge line allowing me to isolate the tank allowing more weight on the starboard side.
rawlitwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #15

Thanks Rawlitwn

I'll take another look this weekend. When filling H2O in the starboard side the two tanks do equalize. I think I might add that shut off valve just to have the capability to equalize. I'll post after I take a look to see if the issue is the fuel tanks.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Old Lyme
Vessel Name: Outlander
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
I found the curtesy light circuit to be configuration a bit strange. You have to turn on the breaker on the DC panel and the third switch down next to the refrigerator for the curtesy lights. Also the switch near the stairs leading to the staterooms controls the curtesy lights for the interior stairs only if the breaker and the switch near the refrigerator are closed. Hope that all makes sense.
Capt Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Hello,

We have noticed our 2007 40 is now starting to list to port as well. We have a single Yanmar and both tank feed lines go to a Tee fitting and from there through the primary Racor and then on to the engine....

There is only one fuel quantity gauge.. so I am not sure if there is a way to isolate to determine if the fuel is not balancing or could it be water tanks??..(unless I do a direct ohm reading at the fuel quantity sensor?)

all suggestions and comments welcome....
Attached Thumbnails
fuel system layout.jpg  
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #18
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Sometimes you need to take a look with a fresh eye to your boat.

Besides batteries there are some other things which weigh quite a bit. Where is your toolbox, how about the dinghy motor, the chain locker, is your genny centered? Where are your spare props, where is the waste tank, air conditioner compressor, refrigerator/freezer, spare cooler?

One problem with self leveling tanks is that once you have a tilt to one side all the fluid will end up on that side and compound the problem.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #19

Hi jefndeb

My 2006 does the same. I,ve ruled out the air release hoses and water tanks. I think Pete might be right.. if there is a slight list to begin with then when the full tanks deplete it will favor the listing side. I think it’s a design flaw. If the boat is level when both tanks are filled. It should stay level as they deplete even though the engine pulls from port and returns to port. It’s annoying. At this point I,m just keeping the tanks as full as possible.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #20
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
As I have explained before about my initial frustration with my single engine Mainship's inflexible (dopey?) fuel system, you do not have to accept this ridiculous setup. One of the easier DIY projects on a diesel powered boat is messing about with the fuel system. Add a second Racor if you only have one; route return fuel to both tanks via a wye valve; and you will likely find, as I did, an unconnected fuel sender in the tank not being monitored by the console gauge which can be connected to that gauge using a selector switch. No reason after those corrections to a crap system to have a list due to uneven fuel distribution.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainship