2006 Mainship 400 Lewmar Achor Type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
I need to remove the motor of the windlass and the instruction manual says Lewmar Concept/Ocean/Capstan 1, 2 & 3....I really cant tell which one I have installed....but my guess is its a Concept 3 version

I need to understand how to remove it but would like to also verify which one I have as well....

I know there are 4 nuts there on the underside but I also see some sort of ring pin that I am trying to understand if I have one...item numbers 2, 3 and 4 in the diagram is what I concerned about dropping...:eek::eek:

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4141.JPG
    4141.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 39
this is just a guess but i would say that item 2 is a snap ring that fits in the groove in the shaft just above the key (item 5). there are 2 types of snap rings. one uses a pair of snap ring pliers to remove. The ring will have 2 eyes that the pliers fits. spread the eyes apart and slide the ring down until it clears the shaft. the other type of snap ring (retainer ring) is a spiral. use a screw driver to pull one end out of the groove then with the screw driver continue sliding it out of the groove and slide it down the shaft.
John

I need to remove the motor of the windlass and the instruction manual says Lewmar Concept/Ocean/Capstan 1, 2 & 3....I really cant tell which one I have installed....but my guess is its a Concept 3 version

I need to understand how to remove it but would like to also verify which one I have as well....

I know there are 4 nuts there on the underside but I also see some sort of ring pin that I am trying to understand if I have one...item numbers 2, 3 and 4 in the diagram is what I concerned about dropping...:eek::eek:

Thanks.
Concept number is mounted on the gypsy, it corresponds to the chain size

I just went through the process of replacing the motor and rebuilding the gearbox on the windlass of my 2005 400. There is a thread on it if you search for it.

The motor on mine is a lewmar 60000189, there was a label on my motor that showed the part number. I thought my windlass was a concept, but the motor is for a V2. I called lewmar tech support and they said it didn't matter that the motor would work and it did. I'm still not sure which windlass I have, in some ways it looks like a V2, in others a concept.

Here is a link to the motor: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--12v-motor-for-windlass-v2--14047609

The gearbox and motor will drop off when you take out the four bolts that go through the deck and deck unit. The motor is attached to the gear box with four long bolts that you will see when you take the cover off of the back of the motor. There was no snap ring or anything on mine. But be careful when you take the motor off, it's kind of tricky to put it back together, the brushes get in the way.

I had a local shop rebuild and refinish my gearbox. I took the new motor to them when I picked up the gearbox and he put it together for me. It's not that hard, but they were happy to do it and I was happy to let them.

The gearbox bolts back through the deck and onto the deck unit. I'm really happy with how mine turned out.

Here's a link to thread on mine.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/sandblast-windlass-gearbox-46542.html

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does, thanks, this is my project this upcoming weekend...

Back
Top Bottom