2005 Mainship 34 Trawler prop shaft strut bracket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceolson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TIMIKA
Vessel Make
1989 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Hi - I have a 2005 Mainship Trawler. I found the prop shaft strut bracket (the bracket goes from the keel to prop shaft strut) bolts to be loose. One of the two bolts that attach the the front part of the bracket to the keel seems to be stripped. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Thanks

I assume that you mean the bolts that bolt up through the bottom of the hull at the prop pocket.

I suspect that the bolts were cross threaded at the factory which stripped the threads and let it loosen. Replace with new bronze bolts.

David

David - Thanks for the reply. The bolt that appears to be stripped is one of the two that attach the bracket to the keel in front of the prop pocket. I haven't removed the bracket yet. I was wondering what these bolts thread into? Is there a helicoil type of metal thread that is secured into the fiberglass or wood stringer ?

Unfortunately I have no idea what those bolts tap into.

I can tell you that mine were loose when I got the boat 5 years ago. I tightened them up and check them yearly. They've stayed tight over that time.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of that bracket?

Just a update for anybody that has this setup. The front two bolts of the bracket screw into brass inserts which are set about a inch into the keel. Mine were partially stripped because the bolts that Mainship used were a tad too short. I just retapped the threads and screwed in longer bolts. All is well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom