Old 03-10-2023, 05:59 AM   #1

City: Williamsburg, VA
Vessel Name: Bay Retriever
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
2004 Mainship 400 Fresh water flush cap Q.

Has anyone installed a fresh water flush cap on top of or inline with the raw water filter on a 2004 Mainship 400? I will be taking a picture of my filter later today and will post it here. Hopefully, the brain trust will confirm which one to order online. I read the other threads on this topic which I believe were for a MS 390. Started this thread because my setup is a single Caterpillar 3126B.
Bay Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #2

Here are the pics.

Attachment 136996
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3818.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	136997
Old 03-10-2023, 01:56 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Grocco makes an engine flush kit. I've used this on A/C sea strainers for both winterization and priming.

https://defender.com/en_us/groco-ssc...gine-flush-kit
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What is the diameter of the opening on top? I used to use a SeaFlush to winterize our last boat. It can also be used to flush the engines with freshwater.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:06 PM   #5

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Tom, I bought this flush cap for the A/C strainer and the threads didn't match so it didn't fit the Marine Hardware strainer. I can't get the SeaFlush to fit in the strainer because it's too close to the bulkhead, but if you are trying to flush the main engine strainer the SeaFlush works pretty well. For the A/C strainer I bought a "duct plug" which someone on YouTube was using. As you tighten it up the rubber plug expands and seals the opening. You might be able to find one that fits the main strainer, mine is meant for the A/C strainer for my next winterization. Before you buy the flush cap you might want to try and see if the threads are the same. The 1-1/2" one I bought only went in a thread or two and didn't work for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-03-10 225056.jpg   Duct Plug.jpg  

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:54 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Another approach might be to add a pipe T to either the inlet or discharge side if the strainer. And use the "extra" port as the connection point for flushing.
I did exactly this on my A/C strainer for winterizing. The A/C pump won't self prime so I winterize my raw water wash down system first and use a short hose to connect to my A/C strainer with pick up closed and feed pink throughout the A/C system. Also helps in spring if A/C system won't prime.
If done frequently you could plumb dockside water to the strainer w a valve to activate.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
I just took my existing caps and drilled and tapped in 3/4NPT threads, then silver soldered in bronze nipples.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
I just took my existing caps and drilled and tapped in 3/4NPT threads, then silver soldered in bronze nipples.

another problem. The cap to my 200 Marine Hardware raw water strainer is stuck. Tried unscrewing by straddling and turning the tabs on the cap with a thick/xl screw driver layed sideways. Wouldn’t budge even after lubricating with WD-40 like silicone spray. Will try channel locks tomorrow. Please reply if any other advice.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Retriever View Post
another problem. The cap to my 200 Marine Hardware raw water strainer is stuck. Tried unscrewing by straddling and turning the tabs on the cap with a thick/xl screw driver layed sideways. Wouldn’t budge even after lubricating with WD-40 like silicone spray. Will try channel locks tomorrow. Please reply if any other advice.
You will get better responses with your own new thread along with a photo or two of the strainer in question.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:35 PM   #10

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Maybe a long pipe wrench. Luckily mine come off relatively easily. The Marine Hardware strainer lids have the two ears that stick up which look like they might break if torqued too hard. It also has a square drive that looks like it would accept either a square insert or a monkey wrench/pipe wrench. I would try to work it loose using the square drive rather than the ears.

It's bit tricky to get a purchase on the drive because the ears are in the way. Maybe you can find a socket that fits inside the square and use a breaker bar or something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-03-12 233049.jpg   Crank Handle.jpg  

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
You might be able to use a chain jaw stuffing box adjuster spanner(aka chain wrench) to grip around the screw top fitting. Bought mine on ebay.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Any square bar across the ears should work. I have used a large open end or adjustable wrench. Tapping with a hammer / mallet may help.
I'd replace the original and apply some water resistant grease before reassembling. It doesn't take much torque to seal a good oring.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Mine frequently gets stuck, maybe I over tighten them? Anyway, when I can’t break them loose with leverage, I tap them with a hammer. Works every time.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:07 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Mine frequently gets stuck, maybe I over tighten them? Anyway, when I can’t break them loose with leverage, I tap them with a hammer. Works every time.
You don’t have to hit them hard, something about the shock pops them loose, like tapping a jar lid with a butter knife handle.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #15

Ended up having to replace the sea strainer. Purchased a Grocco ARG 2000S. Also purchased the fresh water flush cap so I can periodically run fresh water through the Heat Exchanger and barnacle buster too.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: New Bedford
+1 on the waterproof grease. I'm an over-tightener by nature, but am much better about not going nuts on the strainer lids (just a bit more than hand-tight). That and the grease has been a big help. I did break the ears off the one of the lids using a very big and long screw driver to loosen a stuck one, but in general that works well. The sea-flush works fine on all my strainers including AC on my 2005 40T. It must be mounted a little further from the bulkhead compared to the earlier mentions about it not fitting. I was never successful using a socket/driver on the square 'hole' in the lid - it wasn't an exact fit and deformed.
ssurabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, carry a can of silicone grease and keep them lubed and then don’t tighten them to Godzilla torque.