2001 MS 390 salon ceiling leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vulcanbike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jaw Breaker II
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
2001 390 salon ceiling leak.

Looking to confirm what I think was the source of my leak. I had water dripping from the salon bulkhead light mounted in the fiberglass above the steps going below. The light on the centerline of the interior bulkhead. We did have a rainy night last evening.

This area seems to be the highest point of the ceiling, so I assumed the source of the rainwater was somewhat directly above this light area. I pulled the fixture. Seems as though the water was following a group of wires and dripping down on to the light

I went to the flybridge and checked under the helm station. There was water on the shelf that the large conduit tube protrudes from. The was no caulking around the tube where it comes through from below. I cleaned and dried that area and caulked around the tube.

I do not have flybridge side curtains just individual covers for the instrument panel and upholstery.

Going to watch to see if that solves the problem at the next rains going forward. I know tracing leaks are a pain in the arse.

Anyone else experience this leak? What did you find as the cause?

Thanks,
Barry

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
2001 Mainship 390

The rain must be coming through the helm hinge and running down the wires and shift cables into the ceiling cavity. The screws holding the windshield on can loosen and leak through there. I would definitely consider a bridge canvas cover. their is no waterproofing that hole the cables come through.

I had the bridge compass crack and leak oil into the ceiling cavity once. It ended up in the round fluorescent light fixture in the salon.

Thanks David O. I believe that is the case. The only different condition present was I had the compass sun shield flipped facing forward. The water was around the conduit pipe. Wires going down pipe were dry.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
2001 Mainship 390

Back
Top Bottom