Old 06-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
tiz

City: Milford
2001 MS 390 interior lights

My overhead interior lights were halogen. I have changed to led.

They are powered off the AC side of the panel ( port and starboard outlets breakers). I see where one of the transformers is - behind the main breaker panel.

Looking for the second transformer.

Also, is this the normal setup to power these lights on the ms390?

--Kevin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:16 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Usually, but not all, overhead lights are 12 volt. Are you sure they are 120 volt?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #3

City: Bayfield
Vessel Name: Phoenix
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Same deal on my 2001 390, some of the overheads are dc-12v, some are ac. Dumbest thing ever.

Itís on the list to correct and make all 12v.
mncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
tiz

Well they dont turn on unless i turn on the generator or shore power. So you may have answered the question
Old 06-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #5
tiz

Yes. I found one set in salon . Runs off an ac-dc transformer. Just not sure where the feed ac is exactly. Wire goes into a big mass of cables below the panel. Will keep searching.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser View Post
Same deal on my 2001 390, some of the overheads are dc-12v, some are ac. Dumbest thing ever.

Itís on the list to correct and make all 12v.
There is actually a good reason to have one be AC and the other be DC in the same room. Hatteras yachts were built like that - every room, even every head, had one of each. The reason for this is that if you donít have AC power for some reason, such as being away from the dock and the generator fails, you still have a light in each room. Likewise, if you are having battery issues and have to remove the batteries, youíll still have lights in each room while youíre getting the DC system back in working order. So, the fact that you have mixed voltages may have very well been intentional for good reason. Iím actually surprised Mainship thought to do that, assuming that was a Mainship thing as opposed to a prior ownerís doings.

I once had to disconnect all of my batteries on my Hatteras for a few days while we built new battery shelves and repainted the whole room. I was glad to have one AC light in each room so that I wasnít left in the dark.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:34 AM   #7
tiz

I don't know. Ive had sailboats for 30+ years. Never had a generator and rarely had shore power. 12v lighting worked fine especially after led's appeared.

Probably this not lived on a dock plugged in 90% of the time. I wont be doing that.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
There is actually a good reason to have one be AC and the other be DC in the same room. Hatteras yachts were built like that - every room, even every head, had one of each. The reason for this is that if you donít have AC power for some reason, such as being away from the dock and the generator fails, you still have a light in each room. Likewise, if you are having battery issues and have to remove the batteries, youíll still have lights in each room while youíre getting the DC system back in working order. So, the fact that you have mixed voltages may have very well been intentional for good reason. Iím actually surprised Mainship thought to do that, assuming that was a Mainship thing as opposed to a prior ownerís doings.

I once had to disconnect all of my batteries on my Hatteras for a few days while we built new battery shelves and repainted the whole room. I was glad to have one AC light in each room so that I wasnít left in the dark.

Iíd never thought of it that way. Interesting use case I guess. For us itís annoying, usually the lights we want to come on away from the dock are the ones wired to the AC.

I guess I need to dig into it more, wasnít aware of the AC/DC transformer thing. Might make it easier to resolve if I choose.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We have a mix of AC and DC lighting. The "bulbs" (all LEDs, now) are 24VDC at all of the fixtures. Took me a while to figure that out... what with all the burned out bulbs the PO apparently couldn't learn how to change.

-Chris
Old 06-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #10

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
My overhead interior lights were halogen. I have changed to led.

They are powered off the AC side of the panel ( port and starboard outlets breakers). I see where one of the transformers is - behind the main breaker panel.

Looking for the second transformer.

Also, is this the normal setup to power these lights on the ms390?

--Kevin
there is a 2nd transformer for the ac side in the ceiling over the lower helm. you can replace the DC & AC side to Led as a whole unit did it on ours this spring. now have new bezels and very clean, the ac use the same transormer as before. I only changed AC side for the New Bezels.
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #11
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
There is actually a good reason to have one be AC and the other be DC in the same room.
Well, possibly, but on the model succeeding the 350/390 they went to an all-12-volt scheme for lighting. So whatever their thinking was on the 350/390, they changed their mind down the road.

I personally prefer the all-12-volt setup.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
there is a 2nd transformer for the ac side in the ceiling over the lower helm. you can replace the DC & AC side to Led as a whole unit did it on ours this spring. now have new bezels and very clean, the ac use the same transormer as before. I only changed AC side for the New Bezels.

Can you be more specific as to the location? Right above the lower helm? Under one of the ceiling panels?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2022, 06:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser View Post
Can you be more specific as to the location? Right above the lower helm? Under one of the ceiling panels?

Thanks
Mine was to the right when I pulled out the light over the lower Helm. not sure why you need to access the transformer? all Lights are DC and some are converted to AC to use when on shore power and Some are DC to use when anchoring. if all were DC at anchor the draw would be Horrendous, when they were all Incandescent, I changed all the main Salon lights because the trim rings were pitted and easy to pop out in the aft cabin Forward Stateroom and Head the Lights are a lot harder to get out, so I just changed the DC lights and on the AC lights changed the trim rings only.
These are the lights.. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Well, possibly, but on the model succeeding the 350/390 they went to an all-12-volt scheme for lighting. So whatever their thinking was on the 350/390, they changed their mind down the road.

I personally prefer the all-12-volt setup.
Not on all of them. On my 1999 350 all the lights are 12V. If I'm on shore power the battery charger is putting amps back to the battery as the lights draw amperage.

The idea that you'd have non-functioning lights when you're away from AC power (shore power/generator) seems silly to me. Especially if the purpose is for the very rare occasions when you are servicing the 12/24vdc side of the system.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #15
tiz

Quote:
Mine was to the right when I pulled out the light over the lower Helm. not sure why you need to access the transformer? all Lights are DC and some are converted to AC to use when on shore power and Some are DC to use when anchoring. if all were DC at anchor the draw would be Horrendous, when they were all Incandescent, I changed all the main Salon lights because the trim rings were pitted and easy to pop out in the aft cabin Forward Stateroom and Head the Lights are a lot harder to get out, so I just changed the DC lights and on the AC lights changed the trim rings only.
These are the lights.. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With LED's I figure I could run every light in the overhead salon, head and cabins with under 4-5 amps of DC. I want them on DC so I can just turn on what is needed while on battery. I'm never at a dock. If I need all of them at a dock with shore power or on Generator they would be on charging batteries.

I'll look for that transformer over lower helm. - Thanks

--Kevin
Old 06-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
With LED's I figure I could run every light in the overhead salon, head and cabins with under 4-5 amps of DC. I want them on DC so I can just turn on what is needed while on battery. I'm never at a dock. If I need all of them at a dock with shore power or on Generator they would be on charging batteries.

I'll look for that transformer over lower helm. - Thanks

--Kevin
You are so correct The DC ones when at anchor give great light and will not draw like the old Incandescent bulbs and negate the need to run the generator.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Not on all of them. On my 1999 350 all the lights are 12V. If I'm on shore power the battery charger is putting amps back to the battery as the lights draw amperage.

The idea that you'd have non-functioning lights when you're away from AC power (shore power/generator) seems silly to me. Especially if the purpose is for the very rare occasions when you are servicing the 12/24vdc side of the system.
I doubt they are unless someone changed them all to operate off of one switch, if the 6 in the main salon are on multiple switches' then some are AC.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
I doubt they are unless someone changed them all to operate off of one switch, if the 6 in the main salon are on multiple switches' then some are AC.
1999 350 Trawler

I have 2 breakers on the 12VDC panel [Cabin Lights 1 & Cabin Lights 2]

Cabin Lights 1: 4 puck lights in Salon, 3 puck lights in Galley/helm, and the large dome light.

Cabin Lights 2: 3 pucks in Guest berth, 3 pucks in owners stateroom, 3 pucks in head.

I have no lights that run on 120VAC. There is nothing that would indicate to me that this was done outside of the factory.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1999 350 Trawler

I have 2 breakers on the 12VDC panel [Cabin Lights 1 & Cabin Lights 2]

Cabin Lights 1: 4 puck lights in Salon, 3 puck lights in Galley/helm, and the large dome light.

Cabin Lights 2: 3 pucks in Guest berth, 3 pucks in owners stateroom, 3 pucks in head.

I have no lights that run on 120VAC. There is nothing that would indicate to me that this was done outside of the factory.
Yep that is the same set up however the 4 in the main salon and corresponding 2 in aft 2 in Head and 2 in Forward cabin are connected through a transformer to the Port AC Outlet circuits Cabin Lights 1 is Main salon and Cabin Lights 2 is Forward and down
Attached Thumbnails
20180312_133131.jpg  
Old 06-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #20
tiz

I'm guessing from the variety of configurations that it was possible for owners to order the lighting layed out in various ways, or they just had a variety of ways to do each boat (never mind each model year).

I found the feed for the salon aft 6 overhead pucks to come through a transformer, switched by a switch under the breaker panel and fed from the 110v (stbd outlets breaker) next to the couch above the battery switch area. I pulled that back and connected to 12 v. cabin lights 2.

Now to find the port outlets feed and transformer. Probably from the 110v outlet in the guest cabin.

--Kevin