Old 02-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

City: Cooper City
1999 Mainship 350 SidePower Bow Thruster battery location

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate any information pertaining to the location of the battery for the SidePower bow thruster on my 1999 350 and also the location of the circuit breaker/fuse. The thruster quit working, there is no power to the switches (flybridge or lower helm).

Thanks
tomdlacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Have you checked all the fuses or circuit breakers?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't believe Mainship ever put in a separate battery for the thruster on 350/390 models. It draws off bank 1 or 2, or both, depending on the battery switch position.
tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyon View Post
I don't believe Mainship ever put in a separate battery for the thruster on 350/390 models. It draws off bank 1 or 2, or both, depending on the battery switch position.
We used to charter a 350 of that vintage, single Cat and thruster, and that's my recollection as well; the boat was fairly new then (chartered in '01, '02) so it was an OEM installation.

The big unknown to me here is what may have been done in the last 21 years since new, and if this may have been an aftermarket install by a PO. So start at the thruster and trace the cables back.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #5

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdlacy View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate any information pertaining to the location of the battery for the SidePower bow thruster on my 1999 350 and also the location of the circuit breaker/fuse. The thruster quit working, there is no power to the switches (flybridge or lower helm).

Thanks
It uses the starter Batteries, there is a breaker Under the Mattress in the forward stateroom. Remove mattress and you will see a hatch that opens from the bow aft inside is the thruster while in there check the fluid there is a reservoir in there and it probably has not been looked at it Takes EP 90 Oil
Attached Thumbnails
20190420_140110.jpg  
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have the same year. It uses the starter battery. Certainly check the breaker, however you more than likely need new brushes. I had mine redone 2 years ago.

Can you hear the solenoid click??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: Agape
Vessel Model: Californian 45
I thought mine was going. What was going were the switches. I replaced one up top and drilled a hole in the lower. Put a direct toggle switch. New switches are stupid expensive.
As mentioned above, can you hear anything when switch is activated? A click? Something? Maybe pull the switch and try to bypass it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(6).jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	115176
Pmcsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #8

City: Harriman, TN
Vessel Name: Anchors Away
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Our 2000 390T has a similar Sidepower 12V electric bow thruster. There is no breaker on the DC panel for it, so I had the same concern. The thruster is wired directly into our house batteries and is interlocked so it will only operate if the main engine is running. Sounds like Cartouche has a hydraulic thruster due to the reservoir being mentioned; however may be wired similarly. Turns out the breaker/reset/thermal overload is in a panel in the cockpit lazerette on the forward bulkhead next to the house battery disconnect/selector. Discovered that out of necessity after I overcooked the thruster as a nube with a too long 5-10 second burst when docking against a stiff wind. Don't know how long it took the thermal overload condition to clear; best guess prob a minute. We didn't figure it out until we were docked and troubleshooting. Push the button, it resets, then you're back in business.
Bullnuke675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:31 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
It uses the starter Batteries, there is a breaker Under the Mattress in the forward stateroom. Remove mattress and you will see a hatch that opens from the bow aft inside is the thruster while in there check the fluid there is a reservoir in there and it probably has not been looked at it Takes EP 90 Oil
Side Power recommends changing the gearbox oil every couple years. To do that the boat has to be out of the water as the drain plug in in the tunnel. There is an drain plug seal thats best to replace at that time. Also no need to completely drain the reservoir shown just drain the lube in the lower gear unit and it will refill from the reservoir. My lube was pretty dark but cleared quickly as the fresh lube replaced it. Top off the reservoir. Done.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnuke675 View Post
Our 2000 390T has a similar Sidepower 12V electric bow thruster. There is no breaker on the DC panel for it, so I had the same concern. The thruster is wired directly into our house batteries and is interlocked so it will only operate if the main engine is running. Sounds like Cartouche has a hydraulic thruster due to the reservoir being mentioned; however may be wired similarly. Turns out the breaker/reset/thermal overload is in a panel in the cockpit lazerette on the forward bulkhead next to the house battery disconnect/selector. Discovered that out of necessity after I overcooked the thruster as a nube with a too long 5-10 second burst when docking against a stiff wind. Don't know how long it took the thermal overload condition to clear; best guess prob a minute. We didn't figure it out until we were docked and troubleshooting. Push the button, it resets, then you're back in business.
No you are incorrect mine is 12 volt the breaker is where I said and it is hooked up to starting batteries EP 90 is a gear oil you obviously have not checked your reservoir I suggest you do, as it provides lubrication to the gear head
Old 03-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Side Power recommends changing the gearbox oil every couple years. To do that the boat has to be out of the water as the drain plug in in the tunnel. There is an drain plug seal thats best to replace at that time. Also no need to completely drain the reservoir shown just drain the lube in the lower gear unit and it will refill from the reservoir. My lube was pretty dark but cleared quickly as the fresh lube replaced it. Top off the reservoir. Done.
Thanks Don for the confirmation, I am upgrading to the 5 blade this spring and will be changing fluids, any problems taking the old blades off the thruster, Boat is in fresh water i was going to spray anti seize on zinc to hopefully make removal easy any input on what i might expect would be appreciated
Old 03-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Thanks Don for the confirmation, I am upgrading to the 5 blade this spring and will be changing fluids, any problems taking the old blades off the thruster, Boat is in fresh water i was going to spray anti seize on zinc to hopefully make removal easy any input on what i might expect would be appreciated
I've had mine off a couple times w/o too much trouble.
I used a wood block to hold the prop. Anode didn't have much erosion and was fairly clean. Im in fresh water also. Have some water resistant grease handy and lube the shear pin & prop shaft to aid removal in the future.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
I used a wood block to hold the prop. Anode didn't have much erosion and was fairly clean. Im in fresh water also. Have some water resistant grease handy and lube the shear pin & prop shaft to aid removal in the future.
Thanks Don
Old 03-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
1999 Mainship 350 SidePower Bow Thruster battery location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdlacy View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks

There is a fuse in the electric panel right next to the battery on/off/both switch. It’s in the back of the panel so you need to remove the top screws and flip the panel down (it’s hinged)
This is a really heavy duty fuse. It’s a large piece of brass held down with two bolts. I think if the blew you would not only hear it but you would smell it.
I think it’s more likely that one or both of your switch’s went bad. My boat was three years old when I bought it and the upper switch had already been replaced.
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Don sorry to be a bother have the old 4 blade off is there a left and right for the new 5 blade or is it that they only go on one way, many thanks
Old 03-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Ed
No problem.
Going from my memory as we are away "cruising" with the land yacht.
I think the 5 blade design & mounting is the similar to the 4 blades - identical props and only mount one way
The 5 blade props have an adapter that mounts to the shaft and engages the shear pin. The props have sort of splines that engage the adapters. Anodes are the same.
Hope that answers your question.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Ed
No problem.
Going from my memory as we are away "cruising" with the land yacht.
I think the 5 blade design & mounting is the similar to the 4 blades - identical props and only mount one way
The 5 blade props have an adapter that mounts to the shaft and engages the shear pin. The props have sort of splines that engage the adapters. Anodes are the same.
Hope that answers your question.
Thanks Don it most definatley does answer my question, after about 1/2 an hour I figured out putting the adapter on first (should have asked before I started) to line up the shear pin. I am now a certified Bow thruster Blade replacement technician. Thanks for your help
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #18

City: Norfolk, VA
Anyone know the make and model number for the original bowthruster on a 2005 MS 34? Sidethruster?
Capt Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #19

Thruster nake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Carl View Post
Anyone know the make and model number for the original bowthruster on a 2005 MS 34? Sidethruster?
on the 390 it is a sidepower 95 and when the 5 blade upgrade is done it is then the same as the new 100.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Side PowerBow Thruster.pdf (908.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Regarding wiring, my MS is newer but both thrusters are wired to the start bank and each has it's own battery switch in the engine room. I'm sure there are fuses or breakers too, but I haven't had to look for them yet. The thing that surprises me, is that I assumed when the 2 main battery switches near the helm are off and the ignition is off that the thrusters would also be powered off. But since they go through different battery switches they still have power. With everything else turned off, I can still turn on the joystick power and run the thrusters. This bothers me for 2 reasons. A faulty connection could turn on a thurster when I am away from the boat (not very likely). Or when using a thruster, it may not turn off (I've had this happen) due to corrosion or a frozen relay, and you then have to open engine hatches to reach the battery switches as your thruster continues to run and maybe cause a collision of some kind. Luckily, mine turned off when I hit "off" on the joystick panel, but that wouldn't help if a relay got stuck. Anyone else in this situation that you are aware of?