Old 12-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #21

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Regarding wiring, my MS is newer but both thrusters are wired to the start bank and each has it's own battery switch in the engine room. I'm sure there are fuses or breakers too, but I haven't had to look for them yet. The thing that surprises me, is that I assumed when the 2 main battery switches near the helm are off and the ignition is off that the thrusters would also be powered off. But since they go through different battery switches they still have power. With everything else turned off, I can still turn on the joystick power and run the thrusters. This bothers me for 2 reasons. A faulty connection could turn on a thurster when I am away from the boat (not very likely). Or when using a thruster, it may not turn off (I've had this happen) due to corrosion or a frozen relay, and you then have to open engine hatches to reach the battery switches as your thruster continues to run and maybe cause a collision of some kind. Luckily, mine turned off when I hit "off" on the joystick panel, but that wouldn't help if a relay got stuck. Anyone else in this situation that you are aware of?
Strange on our 390 factory Bow thruster is dead when main battery switches are off Just the bilge pumps and Co detectors are still live our stern thruster I added and it has a separate battery switch and batteries with charger, and also is off when the Battery switch is off
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #22
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Strange on our 390 factory Bow thruster is dead when main battery switches are off Just the bilge pumps and Co detectors are still live our stern thruster I added and it has a separate battery switch and batteries with charger, and also is off when the Battery switch is off
I'd be surprised that your main battery switch could handle all the normal loads plus the Thruster current. Perhaps the main switch kills the joystick power and therefore theoretically does not allow the thruster to turn on? I may look into making that wiring change in the spring. How exactly is your stern thruster off if you wired it through a separate switch to the batteries as mine is?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
tiz

City: Milford
Anyone know what the 5 blade upgrade on an sp95 sidepower bow thruster costs? Where to order the parts? What is the advantage?
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
Anyone know what the 5 blade upgrade on an sp95 sidepower bow thruster costs? Where to order the parts? What is the advantage?
Hi from Stratford. Try here:

https://www.sleipnergroup.com/thrust...s?IS_LEISURE=1
Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #25
tiz

City: Milford
Thanks. Tracked the kit down at Defender and will probably add it in the spring.

--Kevin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. Tracked the kit down at Defender and will probably add it in the spring.

--Kevin
Great, should be easy enough. I removed my bow prop and will be replacing in the spring. Broke a couple blades this season. Relatively cheap replacement. I think they are design to self-destruct if they hit something. There is a "sheer pin" but it's pretty hefty and the manual refers to it as a "drive pin". The rear thruster uses a much thinner brass true sheer pin that can be replaced from inside the boat while in the water. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #27

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:

--Kevin
Tip when you install the upgrade install the adapter & shear pin first then install the blades on the spline s of the adapter
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote