1979 Mainship II restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is beautiful work you're doing. You're saving yourself so many $$ as opposed to hiring out the labor and getting exactly what you envisioned. What do you estimate the new appliance and lower helm cabinet weighs? Did you find it caused a starboard list or was it not enough to worry about? I know our 34 is surprisingly forgiving with uneven weight distribution but I to try to make a conscious effort when adding and removing heavier stuff like we've done. So far we're keeping an even keel!

That is beautiful work you're doing. You're saving yourself so many $$ as opposed to hiring out the labor and getting exactly what you envisioned. What do you estimate the new appliance and lower helm cabinet weighs? Did you find it caused a starboard list or was it not enough to worry about? I know our 34 is surprisingly forgiving with uneven weight distribution but I to try to make a conscious effort when adding and removing heavier stuff like we've done. So far we're keeping an even keel!

Thanks! All together with the washing machine it added about 225 pounds to that side. The starboard list was caused from the starboard fuel tank being full and the port was at 1/4 full. To offset the new washer/helm I moved the water tank from the center to the starboard side where the water heater was, and the water heater under the counter in the kitchen. Then the aft A/C unit moved from the starboard side to the port side under the couch. Once all the fuel and water tanks are full I will adjust level with the battery locations. In the end the goal is to get her level, but that is always a thought when installing things.

Baloo

Got a lot of use out of the boat this weekend! Back to work this week!

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Filled up the fuel tanks too.

You're making me look bad. Had my boat for 3 years and haven't done 1/4 as much.

Seriously great work and wish I had your sewing skills.

You're making me look bad. Had my boat for 3 years and haven't done 1/4 as much.

Seriously great work and wish I had your sewing skills.

Yes, he is something else getting all this work done so fast. Amazing.

Yes, he is something else getting all this work done so fast. Amazing.

My wife and I have put some serious time in to get so much done. The boat is an hour from our home, so we plan and research everything. Every weekend and several nights a week have really helped make progress. I appreciate all the comments, it keeps us going!

So I broke the back door!

IMG_1148.jpg

I had finished sanding the doors on the washer/dryer cabinet and when I disconnected the air hose from the compressor it popped back and hit the window. What a day!

The log cabin look

IMG_1149.jpg

New glass! 1/4” tempered and tinted

IMG_1185.JPG

Rebuilt the door with new seals, rollers and lock

61316167133__AD1FFC6C-8F03-44D9-B719-CB287123AC83.JPG

All better

IMG_1187.jpg

Don’t you hate it when you take a step forward and then take 2 backwards? Oh well it is just time and money. But it looks good now.

Making a mount for the search light

IMG_1182.jpg

Lots of sanding

IMG_1197.jpg

Added some Cetol

IMG_1206.jpg

Time for the searchlight!

IMG_1132.jpg

Got some work done in the kitchen this weekend.

In counter waste bin

61525677251__D724D1AA-2670-4FE8-BE48-5F47E13F5E34.jpg

Cover

IMG_1428.jpg

First two layers of epoxy, 1 more to go

IMG_1441.jpg

Still have to sand the sink and waste bin edges, but pretty happy with the outcome.

Installed some replacement LED navigation lights. Oh boy are they bright!

IMG_1450.jpg

Not much work getting done with the good weather, mostly just using the boat. Winter is coming and the work will start again!

IMG_3024.jpg

Just read through this thread. Wow, nice!

The washer/dryer is really slick. I had figured "no way" on the size range of boats I'm looking at, but now I'm giving them a more critical eye...

Can I ask how your pup gets up and down from the flybridge? I really prefer a sedan layout with a cockpit, such as you have; but had considered aft cabin layouts mostly just so that there was not a ladder to the flybridge. Pretty sure my guy would not be too happy stuck below while I cruise along on the flybridge. My pup is 35# so I can't just toss him up there... He is agile, but a ladder might be asking too much?

Just read through this thread. Wow, nice!

Can I ask how your pup gets up and down from the flybridge? I really prefer a sedan layout with a cockpit, such as you have; but had considered aft cabin layouts mostly just so that there was not a ladder to the flybridge. Pretty sure my guy would not be too happy stuck below while I cruise along on the flybridge. My pup is 35# so I can't just toss him up there... He is agile, but a ladder might be asking too much?

Thanks, glad you like what we have done. As far as the pupper goes. He is not a big dog (Okay, he thinks he is) so I put him over my shoulder and head up the ladder. He loves riding on the fly bridge, mostly just sleeps on my feet. We have friends with a Mainship aft cabin, and I personally am not a fan of having to go up and down between all the areas of the boat. There is no way my dog could ever get in and out on his own.

Baloo

Thanks, Baloo,

I may have to get a bigger shoulder :D

I did "try" to get a smaller dog (previous dog was 45#). Was planning on 15-20#. But then this pup was at the shelter and charmed me. Was actually listed as 22# but looked a bit bigger than that to me, but then it had been years since I'd had a dog so maybe my mind's eye was off. Nope, scale said 35# the next day.

At least I'm down 10# from the last one :rolleyes:

Long overdue update…

New sofa
IMG_5592.jpg
Went from 2 HVAC units to one big one ducted through the whole boat.

IMG_5285.jpg
IMG_5282.jpg
IMG_5283.jpg
IMG_5284.jpg
IMG_5280.jpg
IMG_5296.jpg
IMG_5297.jpg

Added a dish washer

IMG_2846.jpg

Replaced all the sewage lines and moved the Pursan tablet holder out of the way.

IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_5418.jpg

Built shelves in the closets

IMG_5397.jpg
IMG_4981.jpg

Winter at the marina

IMG_5527.jpg
IMG_5528.jpg
IMG_5516.jpg

Nice and warm in the boat, making dinner

IMG_4641.jpg

Last edited:
My goodness, Baloo! Nice! It's good of you to take the time to post. Very interesting to see what you've done. You must own an Ace Hardware ,Lowes or similar!

Amazing! I drove the 20 minutes to the boat yesterday. Added a cheep clamp on mirror on the flybridge. (So I don't have to turn my head around underway) Drank some beer with a buddy. Went back home and took a nap. I need to get my act together. Baloo Rocks!

Any progress is good progress. We are 3 miles away from our boat storage for the winter. Some days I get only an hour of work done and some days I get 3 or 4 hours. But I take what I can get.

Getting ready for the ice…

IMG_5694.jpg

The de-icer makes a huge difference! We are still using marine reverse cycle heat to stay warm. L

My neighbors boat IMG_5698.jpg

My boat with the de-icer on

IMG_5699.jpg

Looks like it is really working well. That is quite a difference in temperatures. Our river is frozen and snow mobiles are running on it.

IMG_9582.jpg
Lighting up the stairs

We decided to add a drink fridge by the door for easy cool drinks.

IMG_9198.jpg

Took the boat on a 50 mile trip up to Green Turtle Bay with some buddy boats.

IMG_0135.jpg

Back
Top Bottom