1979 Mainship II restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Radar wants to be front and center all the time too.

What flooring did you use and if the laminate strips how many sq. feet did you need?
And what did you use for the trim around the hatches ? That's on my project list too. Looking good !!

What flooring did you use and if the laminate strips how many sq. feet did you need?
And what did you use for the trim around the hatches ? That's on my project list too. Looking good !!

It is a vinyl flooring rated as 100% water proof. We used approx 125 square feet (5 boxes) with a few planks to spare. The trim is 1” angle 1/16” thick aluminum.

So we got some good old used furniture for the back deck. Of course after some cleaning the paint and off. A few coats of Krylon did the trick!

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Working on some boat projects, you all know how they stack up!

Built a new set of stairs for the dock (wife is short). Wife is painting them as I type.

IMG_0578.jpg

Replaced the old anchor windlass switch

Adjustments.jpg

New switch

IMG_0576.jpg

Making a high water bulge pump/installing high water alarm

IMG_0579.jpg

I just replaced both of my bilge pumps. What a PITA working way down in the bilge. Didn’t do my back any good but had to be done.

I just replaced both of my bilge pumps. What a PITA working way down in the bilge. Didn’t do my back any good but had to be done.

They are not fun to get to! Fortunately the 3700 is installed in the FWD bilge access hatch. The hope is that it is never needed. If water reaches that float switch the high bilge water alarm also sounds.

Getting a few more things taken care of this weekend. Took the dog for a walk and watched the sun come up.

IMG_0626.jpg

Time for a cup of coffee and get to work!

Got the couch structure complete and ready to paint.

IMG_0632.jpg

Of course it is hard to get things done when it is so nice out. Went for a little trip on the neighbor’s Trojan F36. What a beautiful boat.

IMG_0638.jpg

The UPS guy dropped off the next project.

IMG_0648.jpg

Time to build a propane locker!

Have you researched exactly what is required in a proper propane locker? There are quite a few requirements.

Have you researched exactly what is required in a proper propane locker? There are quite a few requirements.

Sure have, that was enough to make me follow in the footsteps of Ranger Tugs and put them on the swim platform in a nice fiberglass enclosure. That is why I went with 11 pound tanks, too keep the box short and narrow.

Sounds good. I have seen so many DIY propane lockers that were just downright dangerous. Glad you researched it.

Since the COVID-19 has closed our marina, we have been working from home on what we can get done. The Mrs. Made new decals for the boat.

Adjustments.jpg

While I gave the tender a tune up.

60825526203__6C4C98F9-89FF-4149-8140-2F47992D41C9.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

60825835149__C097653A-19E3-42FC-BFF3-F8033C8C82C7.jpg

New timing belt, water pump, oil and filter, gear case oil and spark plugs.

I forgot to post the water pump impeller pics, or should I say what was left of it.

IMG_0746.jpg

A little dry rotted

IMG_0745.jpg

Wonder where this will go?

IMG_0748.jpg

i saw a washer added to stbr side forward of the head/v-berth after shaving some of the berth.The install looked clean and the single guy living on MK1 was thrilled to scratch laundromat visits .Looking forward to your photos ,I'm certain you and your wife will find a spot.So where's it going?

If you spend much time on the boat you will love the washer/dryer as long as it is the vented model.

check out stone coat countertops on you tube. I did them for my son .Very easy easy to do and great results.

As the days go by that we can’t go to the boat because of the COVID-19, we just keep gettin getting parts in the mail. Today’s surprise was the switch I had been waiting for. Now if we could just get to the boat to build the new power panel.

IMG_0775.JPG

Our boat is in a barn about a mile from our house. We can go work on it whenever we want to. The last week we have been power washing our deck and then staining it. Today we stained about 1500 square feet so we are about halfway done. Tomorrow we will work on the boat since winds are going to be in the 25 mph range. We have 5 fairly minor jobs to do on the boat then we could launch if the marina could launch us. Probably 1 or 15 May they may be able to start working again.

Well we got lucky toady, we went to the marina by appointment to check on our boat. We were only suppose to there for 30 minutes. However they let us stay the rest of the day, so we took the boat out!

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

For our first real run besides switching dock slips at the marina, it was an absolute blast to take her out. We only went out for just over an hour, and she ran great the whole time with zero issues. Can’t wait for business as usual!

Back
Top Bottom