120 volt outlets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
MS 350 1997. Does anyone have a 120v outlet inside their engine room?

MS 350 1997. Does anyone have a 120v outlet inside their engine room?
I do and believe it was factory on my 2008 MS 34HT.
PO had an engine rm heater installed that uses the outlet. Handy for portable fans when working in ER.

No on our 2004 400.

Yes. I have two engine bays (catamaran) with a double outlet in each one. I've only used it for engine room heaters. But thought it could be handy for transfer pumps as well.

I have a few of them. Enclosures are for "liquid tite" applications just because I am anal about corrosion. We have diesels so no fear of flammability ratings.
Mostly used for winter use with dehumidifier and engine room heaters.

There are no outlets in the engine compartment of our 1999 Mainship 350 either. If I needed a fan, I would run it off of the outlet in the solon, 3 feet away. OR the galley, 4 feet away.

Outlets are pretty common in larger vessels with diesel propulsion and gensets.

Hopefully they are either GFI or GFI protected.

Running extension cords is an alternative, but why when you don't have to?

If manufacturer installed...post 2000 year build, probably OK, if not check it out. If installing, just follow ABYC guidelines and you will probably never have an issue.

My 400 does not have one, but I installed on, GFI, in my Lazz, which I use for our rainman watermaker, among other things. I used one of the plastic boxes that are made for installing an outlet in an exterior setting.

It was pretty easy and I'm glad I did it.

Ours came with a double outlet in the ER. It has come in quite handy over the years. However, I should change it over to a GFCI.

Just wondering. Does ABYC recommend GFCI outlets in the engine room? If not, why bother?
Ours came with a double outlet in the ER. It has come in quite handy over the years. However, I should change it over to a GFCI.

Just wondering. Does ABYC recommend GFCI outlets in the engine room? If not, why bother?
GFI generally recommended for wet locations. Most engine rooms have potential of being a "wet" location. Probably not a bad idea, regardless of what ABYC recommends. you don't have any "upgrades" for safety reasons that are not recommended by ABYC?
I consider most codes, whether building or ABYC as minimum acceptable practice, not the point to stop going better. Just my humble opinion.

I read through the entire thread. The focus, however, was on gas-powered vessels. I see little risk in having an outlet in a diesel engine room. Water? My three outlets are four feet above the level of the bilge. Yes, I suppose a burst hose might spray water or coolant into an outlet but that is something that, in itself, is highly unlikely multiplied by the off-chance that the spray would find its way to an outlet. And, even if that happened wouldn't the result be just a tripped breaker? Interestingly, I just ordered a new Isotemp water heater. It comes standard with a plug. I could cut off the plug, butt-splice wire, and hard-wire the water heater. But then, according to ABYC, I would be required to place those butt-spliced wires in an enclosure. Installing GFCis is not on my to-do list. I did pose the question for accession of general knowledge.
There was some lengthy discussion on this topic in a different thread not long ago. Perhaps it will be of use, if you haven't already seen it, jclays:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/outlets-engine-room-54261.html

I read through the entire thread. The focus, however, was on gas-powered vessels. I see little risk in having an outlet in a diesel engine room. Water? My three outlets are four feet above the level of the bilge. Yes, I suppose a burst hose might spray water or coolant into an outlet but that is something that, in itself, is highly unlikely multiplied by the off-chance that the spray would find its way to an outlet. And, even if that happened wouldn't the result be just a tripped breaker? Interestingly, I just ordered a new Isotemp water heater. It comes standard with a plug. I could cut off the plug, butt-splice wire, and hard-wire the water heater. But then, according to ABYC, I would be required to place those butt-spliced wires in an enclosure. Installing GFCis is not on my to-do list. I did pose the question for accession of general knowledge.

Apologies, CatalinaJack. My response was for jclays, not you.

GFIs arent for wet areas because of getting the outlet wet ....thats what weather protective cover are for.

They are to protect humans from shock due to the potentially higher risk in wet areas and grounded plumbing fixtures or appliances.

Last edited:
My question if you will read it is for owners of Mainship 350"s. I was asking if they had an electrical outlet 120v in their engine room because mine did not have one.
I was not asking if it outlets were allowed in engine rooms.

Because of the way you structured your question (i.e. were you simply stating you had a Mainship or were you making your inquiry for ONLY Mainship owners), I could read it multiple ways.
Apologies for my contribution.

GFI generally recommended for wet locations. Most engine rooms have potential of being a "wet" location. Probably not a bad idea, regardless of what ABYC recommends. you don't have any "upgrades" for safety reasons that are not recommended by ABYC?
I consider most codes, whether building or ABYC as minimum acceptable practice, not the point to stop going better. Just my humble opinion.

Yep!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom