Trader Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoomie

Hello folks,

88 Tradwinds 43 - Could someone please school me on the power system? Particularly shore power. I drained the batteries yesterday on my "new to me vessel" while I had shore power selected? Obviously I do not have the proper shore power cable. Should it be 120v 30amp?

Thanks in advance!

zoomie

Tall order for people who have no idea if boat is still all original or modified...maybe even factory options or substitutions.

Best to have a knowledgeable local walk you through your systems, take a few pics of critical systems, operator interaction areas and post for second opinions.

Some things done improperly or ignored can get expensive fast. Hire someone if necessary.

There are some books out there that can get you started if you have the time. An author named Nigel Calder has written a few and gives a reasonable overview of systems.

Depends on how big your 120 volt draw is. But whatever it is, if you are plugged in and your battery charger is turned on, there should be no chance of the batteries going flat. Remember, all your lights, instruments (all the 12 volt stuff except probably the refrigerator), will still run off 12 volts even when plugged into shore power, hence the need for a good charger.

Examine the boat.

There could be (2) 120v shore power connections on deck.

This is done so 240V (really its (2) 120V circuits) can be brought aboard.

Frequently one will run all the housey stuff , the other runs a second air cond.

Perhaps you are plugged into the Air cond circuit , not the house circuit.

There may be a 120V switch for the battery charger , as there ALSO may be a 12V switch in the 12V panel.

Good hunting ,

but I would grab a neighbor with a same sized boat and have him come aboard for a quick look.

Hello folks,

88 Tradwinds 43 - Could someone please school me on the power system? Particularly shore power. I drained the batteries yesterday on my "new to me vessel" while I had shore power selected? Obviously I do not have the proper shore power cable. Should it be 120v 30amp?

Thanks in advance!

zoomie

Sounds more like your battery charger either was turned off or not working correctly. Or your batteries are old.

When you were plugged in did your 120v stuff like lights and fridge work?

I'd get somebody out there with you who knows the boat (or their way around boats) and have them explain it to you. Write everything down so you can refer to it later as you continue to learn about your boat. It's a steep learning curve at first, but it shallows out as you learn more.

Take copious notes of every detail...including specs, quantities, maintenance requirements, etc. Document everything you do so next time you do it, it'll refresh your memory.

What type of anchor do you have?....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Tall order for people who have no idea if boat is still all original or modified...maybe even factory options or substitutions.

Best to have a knowledgeable local walk you through your systems, take a few pics of critical systems, operator interaction areas and post for second opinions.

Some things done improperly or ignored can get expensive fast. Hire someone if necessary.

There are some books out there that can get you started if you have the time. An author named Nigel Calder has written a few and gives a reasonable overview of systems.
Great...Thank you all for your responses.

Here is the net result:
Onboard charger was not working - Replaced

Generator battery was tied in with the main battery bank (very poor setup as mains drained then pulled the gen battery down with)

Replaced gen battery and isolated from mains.

I think I am in good shape now! (will know for sure after a couple of nights on "the hook"!

Thanks again
Zoom

I have heard the plow is almost sufficient as a doorstop. Can't remember where now

"Replaced gen battery and isolated from mains."

And it gets its charge ?

Back
Top Bottom