Old 10-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #21

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Very good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I'm always surprised how these threads focus on livability features vs design attributes. Exhauated cruisers I've met didn't give up because they were underwhelmed by their accommodations, but rather they were overwhelmed by the expense, effort, and time it takes to keep a boat in cruising form

Ergo, my list emphasizes practical aspects of design and outfitting:

Protected prop(s)

No exterior wood of any kind

Covered/outdoor seating space

Comfortable forward berth with good ventilation for anchor-out comfort

Water tight ports/windows

Comfortable seating to read and hangout.

Decent Dinghy storage and launch capabilities.

Oversized and manageable ground tackle

Accessible and understandable systems (pumps, etc.)

No superfluous gadgetry
Let me take it a little further ,I started buying Taiwanese trawlers in 1986 the first one I bought I shouldíve kept that was by far my favorite Boat I have ever owned ,Out of the many 34 foot sedan CHb or the like,I would buy one keep it for a year , clean it up sell it and move onto the next one I rarely kept one longer than a year ,you do the math on how many, sometimes two or three in a year,I love Taiwanese trawlers ,but everything comes to an end ,and My obsession has ended , with these boats for the most part ,thereís exceptions to every rule ,they have gotten too old ,40 year old engines ,water heaters ,plumbing ,gears ,propeller ,coring in the fiberglass decks ,goes on and on,Can you find a nice one ,maybe 40 year old engines fuel tanks wiring very very few have had good Refits, 15 years ago I quit buying twin engines double the trouble you know, now Iíve quit buying them all together, you canít believe what you read about these boats ,you will read a Ford Lehman is the greatest engine ever made ,wrong ,be very very very very careful when you look at these boats,Do not trust Surveyors, learn and judge for yourself ,or get somebody that doesnít have any skin in the game and lots of experience hard to find ,Also be very honest with yourself, if you canít afford it you canít afford it ,do not convinced yourself that you can ,otherwise youíll be thousands and thousands down the road and very disappointed,Engines and fuel tanks are not cheap just a name a couple, Can you bring the boat back from the brink ,yes is it worth it ,These boats are getting awful old ,Iím doing a refit on a baby Nordic 1984, as we speak this will be positively the last one ,I would never buy another Taiwanese trawler ,it would have to be exceptional ,I have never seen one that has had a proper refit thereís always something that wasnít done ,if youíre handy it can be done ,donít kid yourself ,sorry to be so negative thatís just the way it is , I have a great love for these boats ,it is a shame theyíre not being saved in the numbers I would like to see, whatís coming up behind them isnít much better ,with a high horsepower turbo charged piece of junk theyíre putting in them ,just one opinion ,I hope I didnít bum you out too bad
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #22

Oh just for the doubters out there ,find a boat in my area that is turnkey , I will go look at it and send you pictures of all the many many many things that need to be done, dollars to donuts you won’t find one ,Even close ,I wish I was wrong I love these old Boats
Old 10-14-2021, 12:11 AM   #23

City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
If your boat has a cockpit, the best thing I ever had done to mine was to have a side door cut in and finished. Itís really nice for dinghy access when at anchor, and really convenient for docking!

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:42 AM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Turnkey and immediately cruiseworthy mean different things to different people.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #25

Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Turnkey and immediately cruiseworthy mean different things to different people.
The point is I was trying to make ,Is everything comes to an end at some point unless you want to throw a lot of money at something .it saddens me that these 40-year-old trawlers are coming to the end.Unless you are willing to invest real money you usually are disappointed and end up with a money pit That you just have to walk away from and somebody else gets left with a mess you have to be realistic
Old 10-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
The point is I was trying to make ,Is everything comes to an end at some point unless you want to throw a lot of money at something .it saddens me that these 40-year-old trawlers are coming to the end.Unless you are willing to invest real money you usually are disappointed and end up with a money pit That you just have to walk away from and somebody else gets left with a mess you have to be realistic

I bought a throwaway, lived/cruised on a throwaway, slowly replaced things that needed it, upgrading where it was for my pleasure. Now will be getting rid of a cruise ready vessel with virtually everything inside being about 10 or less years old so way better off than where I started for way less money.

Got my moneys worth out of it and so will the next owner.

So there are cruise ready boats out there that aren't necessarily money pits unless one thinks boating is a free or low cost hobby....and can accept cruising in a vessel in less than Bristol condition

When you buy and start to fix...one just has to look ahead at the cost outcome as if you might have to spend $10,000 or more to rent a big dumpster or donate it if you need/can get the tax savings.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote