Still working on the Tung Hwa Senator refurb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...upper helm panel is finished and operations (mostly). I am headed down in just a few minutes to change out to the new senders and hook up the tack signal and the rudder indicator. I am pretty happy with the outcome.

changed out the old Internally regulated Delco 62 amp alternator that was on its way out for an externally regulated Balmar 75 amp. The regulator is their newer MC-618 and will have a remote monitor and bluetooth.

I really wanted to do the Wakespeed regulator and may still in the future. Probably in a year or two when the Lithium battery upgrade is done.

Finally done with the lower and upper helm overhaul. Along the way I made new panels out of Starboard, used new Faria gauges, took a round about way to figuring out a tach system that would be accurate for the Perkins Diesel, added a Balmar Alternator and External regulator with monitor and bluetooth module and several other improvements. Also fixed an intermittent voltage issue to the helm. Glad to report everything is working out great. I also made a recessed hatch system for the upper helm to keep the gauges out of the sun and weather.

Here is a video covering the Garmin items purchased over the last year or so. I will begin installing these over the coming weeks and months and documenting it on video. There does not seem to be much info out there regarding a complete DIY install of a complete system. So I will attempt to detail it. I have done a ton of work to the boat both mechanical and electrical upgrades but Marine Electronics is something I have only moderate experience with. All feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

Here is a video covering the Garmin items purchased over the last year or so. I will begin installing these over the coming weeks and months and documenting it on video. There does not seem to be much info out there regarding a complete DIY install of a complete system. So I will attempt to detail it. I have done a ton of work to the boat both mechanical and electrical upgrades but Marine Electronics is something I have only moderate experience with. All feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

WOW! Your credit card company must really LOVE you!:D

More credit card love. I recently bought nearly $4000 worth of Victron equipment used from Facebook Marketplace for $1200. It was nearly everything I would have purchased had I selected a system. Could not believe my luck. Buying used electronic equipment is always risky so I immediately put it on the bench and hooked it up using one of the Dakota Lithiums from the golf cart. This was my first experience with Victron. It is quite amazing in its design and makes implementing a lithium battery set up a breeze. Especially the Lynx parts. I made a video covering the equipment and then hooking it up and operating it as well as connecting to grid and then pulling the plug and other operations. I plan to purchase the Epoch Batteries to use with this system.

Supply problem solved.

Thanks!

I saw another thread on here last fall for flybridge instrument hatch and thought it would be a good thing to add to my boat. The other thread just showed the end result but no info on the hatch. I looked around at the time but I was unable to find a suitable hatch.

Now you hand it to me. Thanks! :) :)
Just ordered it.
FYI .com was $37USD, and the .ca site was $41. Good enough for me!:blush:

Oh yeah! I know what fun this is going to be. I had to redo my dash from scratch. The one that it had when purchased was a crap-pile. And the electrical set-up was disgraceful. I made a lot of improvements in the first year. I was planning on fabbing a new dash this winter. Will be watching for your updates :)

And fixed a longstanding issue inside the fuel tank. Had to cut an access panel in the tank and install a Sea Built panel. Nice product.

Boat is finally operational. Not done by any means, but atleast we can enjoy it this summer. Need to do Garmin autopilot, radar, Lifepo batts with Victron inverter as well as exterior teak and paint.

Congratulations on the relaunch!
And thanks for the effort it takes to make all your information available.

Congratulations on the relaunch!
And thanks for the effort it takes to make all your information available.

Thanks a bunch. I enjoy the work much more than the video documentation. :lol: But I do love the Trawler community so I try to contribute.

Been a while since I made any updates. Lots of road blocks and obligations over the last few months as well as a minor surgery. But this is the lates project for those interested.

Our Trawler had no access on top of the fuel tank. There is only about 4 inches from the top of the tank to the cabin floor so adding fuel gauges from the top was out of the question. I racked my brain for a while how to add fuel gauges. There are of course many modern solutions but many are expensive or still require certain types of access to the tanks. So this is what I came up with. I had sight tubes on the tanks but the location of the valves made reading them difficult. I made cylindrical remote tanks, pressure tested them and added fuel gauge/sender package that cost about $40 a side. I did pressure test the remote tanks to 20 psi. I had to since my welds were so ugly..lol. I really need a TIG machine. Anyways we plumbed in the tanks and mounted the gauges and happy to report all works well. My cost was around $200. Granted I did everything myself but you could have similar tanks made up at a weld shop for very little. Especially if you sourced the materials and cut everything ahead of time. This cant be implemented on all tanks and many dont need anything like this. But if you have a similar set up this could be an easy option. Its also easy to change the sender should it fail. In addition the gauge needle does not slosh in waves since the sender is in a narrow tube.

WOW, that’s way over the standard stand pipe pressure of 3 or so PSI. If they held up to 20 PSI it’s a miracle!

WOW, that’s way over the standard stand pipe pressure of 3 or so PSI. If they held up to 20 PSI it’s a miracle!

Lol..not a miracle. These are just small cylinders made from 6061T6 with 3 inch diameter and .125 wall. The reason I went to 20 psi is because I used a spool gun the weld them which is not ideal for small work. Especially the bungs. Its amazing how porous bad welds can be. So I just wanted to be sure. Im sure they could take 5 times that pressure. That high of pressure on standard tanks with long unsupported flat walls would of course just deform the tanks.

Well done. Very nice. Knowing how things looked when you first took her over, you've done wonders. :thumb:
Now make sure to take some time to go out and actually enjoy the fruits of your labours a s a p..! :flowers:

Thanks Peter. That is the plan. I am now on a work schedule with 3 days off a week so some multiday trips will be upcoming without having to burn vacation days.

I just ordered materials to make the V berth cushions as well.

Sorry for slacking on the posting. I have been very busy figuring out the house bank/inverter system on my bench for the last 5 weeks now. Here are two videos regarding that system as well as a short cruising video of our day out last Friday. Next up will be V berth cushion making. I just used some Scrim cloth to pattern the V berth cushions. The V berth cushions might be harder than the Epoch Victron set up..lol.

Cool, I'll need to follow your cushion making. I don't need cushions but need some reference on making some sheets/covers for the v berth.

Cool, I'll need to follow your cushion making. I don't need cushions but need some reference on making some sheets/covers for the v berth.

Good lord I dont know if you should be following me on anything regarding sewing.:lol:

But, I will try my best to cover how I did it. Ill have to make some sheets too. Just tryi g to do the scrim cloth patterning was a near disaster. I unfurled a sheet of scrim cloth that was twice as big as the v berth and was nearly trapped in a ball of plastic. I should have used the general dimension I had and cut a rough sheet 1 foot longer on all edges and then took that to the v berth for marking.

Attachments

• 20231214_152235.jpg
    20231214_152235.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
Check out the Sailrite videos on YouTube on "30 minute cushions." The Sailrite site has a pattern making app that simplifies things. One of the directions to really follow is the use of basting tape. It is double-sided tape that when sold as basting tape is expensive. When sold as "1/4 inch double-sided craft tape" is one-tenth the cost. You will need several rolls for the V berth. A walking foot sewing machine is still better, but basting tape goes a long way in helping keep the upper and lower fabric even. The pattern is 1/2 inch smaller than the foam, so besure and tack stitch all stress areas (like the zipper ends). Fitting the foam in the finished cover takes almost as long as the sewing.

Check out the Sailrite videos on YouTube on "30 minute cushions." The Sailrite site has a pattern making app that simplifies things. One of the directions to really follow is the use of basting tape. It is double-sided tape that when sold as basting tape is expensive. When sold as "1/4 inch double-sided craft tape" is one-tenth the cost. You will need several rolls for the V berth. A walking foot sewing machine is still better, but basting tape goes a long way in helping keep the upper and lower fabric even. The pattern is 1/2 inch smaller than the foam, so besure and tack stitch all stress areas (like the zipper ends). Fitting the foam in the finished cover takes almost as long as the sewing.

Yes, I made all my box cushions for the interior watching the video everytime :D Thats also where I learned about the basting tape. It works great but occasionally gums up the needle if you get into it while sewing.

I started with a Singer Heavy duty home model. Then had a Sailrite LS1Z and now have the Seiko walking foot with clutch motor. Now if I could just get my skill level up a notch or two.:lol:

Going through this excercise will help.

V berth cushions in work. Took them to the boat a bit ago for test fit and very happy. putting the hull angle in added a ton of space. 108 inches at the widest point. 6 inch foam. It was very comfy. Now to select some fabric.

Attachments

• V berth cushions.jpg
    V berth cushions.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
Last testing done on the Lifepo4 Epoch 960AH batteries before taking everything apart and clearing the bench. Next up is making the V berth Keyhole wood pieces. They are already cut and coating with wood penetrating epoxy. I will put several layers of fiberglass on them to make them more stiff and then paint white.

The fabric for them showed up today so I am very much looking forward to sewing again.

Here is a boring long video of testing the Epoch batteries with a decent load (150 amps) all the way to 0% SOC and then all the way to battery shut down. I just wanted to test this on the bench just to observe the behavior, see what warnings, see what shuts down in the Victron side and see how the batteries shut down. Very happy with the way things worked out. And I now have more confidence in the entire system. I also know what to expect if I find myself in this situation.

Side tracked a bit from the V berth and Lithium/house rewire to make a nice improvement to my DIY dry bilge. Sometimes DIY is great but other times there is a product that cost a bit but you just cant beat it.

Just got some kind of blurb today showing me some Wirefy "Solder Seal" connectors. No need to crimp and you end up with a waterproof shrink solder connection. And a video showed that one can shrink/solder using just a Bic lighter. Dang. Gotta get me some.

So what do you think is underneath the fiberglass layer in the bottom of our bilges? Too much volume in the keel for filing with resin and fiberglass. Cement? Lead shot? My prior owner screwed into it 3/8" when mounting the bilge pump and that seems to be okay, but I'd still like to know what's in there.

Back
Top Bottom