Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

salon doors

I*have a 1979 Her shine 37, Can somebody please*tell me how to remove the doors to replace the rollers and where I would find the parts? Thanks Steve
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: salon doors

It's usually a matter of lifting the door off the bottom track, on our boat you have to slide the door to a certain spot where there are holes in the upper track that then align with blocks attached to the top of the door.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow. I don't know if it is rust or flat spots on the rollers but the doors are driving crazy with the sticking.
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

You might find that you have to unscrew the bronze runner under the door, to get it out - I had to do that with my pilot door, though the rear door lifted out as described. You can get at the screws by moving the door to its furthest point to get at one lot of screws thus exposed, then back to the other end to get the other lot out. Some have reported an excellent fix, if the rollers in the bottom of the door are totally stuffed, is to replace them by a strip/strips of appropriately wide silicone plastic, like kitchen cutting boards are made of, (by pirating one of those and cutting it into strips), and screwing this in in place of the warn out rollers. I did not need to do that, but I believe it works well.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

You might find that you have to unscrew the bronze runner under the door, to get it out - I had to do that with my pilot door, though the rear door lifted out as described. You can get at the screws by moving the door to its furthest point to get at one lot of screws thus exposed, then back to the other end to get the other lot out. Some have reported an excellent fix, if the rollers in the bottom of the door are totally stuffed, is to replace them by a strip/strips of appropriately wide silicone plastic, like kitchen cutting boards are made of, (by pirating one of those and cutting it into strips), and screwing this in in place of the warn out rollers. I did not need to do that, but I believe it works well.
Same with my '86 Senator.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Intrinsic
Vessel Model: Willard Voyager 30
An easy, short term fix for worn out rollers on those teak sliding doors is to use sections of nylon or UHMW furniture sliders that you find at home depot. These sliders come in various sizes. The one I selected was about 2" long X 3/4" wide. Light grey in color.

First step is to clean the accumulated gunk out of the groove in the door bottom using a screwdriver or 1/4" wood chisel, then Flushwith hot water water.

Clamp the slider down and cut the slider length-wise (careful! Use a straight edge or vice) with a utility knife to match the groove width in the door bottom and voila. Lift the door at each side and push a strip into the groove at each side of the door with the slippery side down.The door will slide on the brass insert almost as easily as rollers.

Did this two years ago until I got around to proper roller replacement... They never pushed out and just last month I replaced them again.

A lazy fix that works!
Vagabond1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
yo
Veteran Member

thanks for the tip, I.ll try it.
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I bought a roll of UHMW tape and stuck it on the bottom of both doors (removed rollers) a year and a half ago. I see no reason to replace the rollers now, the doors slide great on the tape.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #9

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
I bought a roll of UHMW tape and stuck it on the bottom of both doors (removed rollers) a year and a half ago. I see no reason to replace the rollers now, the doors slide great on the tape.
Pineapple girls doors are the smoothest doors I have ever seen on a boat!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I am presuming UHMW stands for ultra high molecular weight...right...? Never heard of it in a tape before - sounds interesting...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I am presuming UHMW stands for ultra high molecular weight...right...? Never heard of it in a tape before - sounds interesting...
I think that is what UHMW stands for and I THINK that is what the tape was (maybe some other four letters that start with a U )... I have the receipt at home and I will double check tonight and post where I got it. I ordered it online.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C
Funny, got up this morning and went out to the Miss, couldnt hardly slide my door open, guess Its another project. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Trivial trivia
UHMW is short for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. It is a polythylene. It has been available in tape form for many years. Just nowhere near the retail market, always industrial uses. However, like many good things other uses are found and it works it way to the retail market.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a .060" x 1.000" x 25ft roll of Slick Strip UHMW PS adhesive tape from Ridout Plastics in San Diego. Not sure how much it was, only have a packing slip.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #15

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Very impressive bit of cocktail trivia right there
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #16

City: Gulf Shores, AL
Brand new member....Has anyone ever replaced the panels in the doors (either salon or pilot) and if so how. We have alot of TLC to give our '79 Californian but replacing or repairing the pilot door is the first order of business since it is warped. Slides well but the bottom panel is in terrible shape!
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler
I just replaced the four rollers on my CT 35, 2 on each door. I found exact type at ACE Hardware but they where the wrong size. The ACE store in St. Augustine went on the computer and found a larger size 1-11/16" that is normally used for commercial applications. They ordered me 2 sets, 2 per set and they arrive 4 days later. The cost for the rollers where $8. per set, $16. in total, no shipping charge. Installed all 4 in less than 2 hours, perfect fit.
Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond1209 View Post
An easy, short term fix for worn out rollers on those teak sliding doors is to use sections of nylon or UHMW furniture sliders that you find at home depot. These sliders come in various sizes. The one I selected was about 2" long X 3/4" wide. Light grey in color.

First step is to clean the accumulated gunk out of the groove in the door bottom using a screwdriver or 1/4" wood chisel, then Flushwith hot water water.

Clamp the slider down and cut the slider length-wise (careful! Use a straight edge or vice) with a utility knife to match the groove width in the door bottom and voila. Lift the door at each side and push a strip into the groove at each side of the door with the slippery side down.The door will slide on the brass insert almost as easily as rollers.

Did this two years ago until I got around to proper roller replacement... They never pushed out and just last month I replaced them again.

A lazy fix that works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Thanks for the great ideas! As our problem is a worn out section of the lower track where the lead door roller tends to settle, I think the combination of the above 2 solutions may just solve our problem.

The alternative is (1) a custom lower track at about $500, or (2) a new complete door assembly at about $2500.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatsflyer View Post
I just replaced the four rollers on my CT 35, 2 on each door. I found exact type at ACE Hardware but they where the wrong size. The ACE store in St. Augustine went on the computer and found a larger size 1-11/16" that is normally used for commercial applications. They ordered me 2 sets, 2 per set and they arrive 4 days later. The cost for the rollers where $8. per set, $16. in total, no shipping charge. Installed all 4 in less than 2 hours, perfect fit.
Please tell me what brand or company ACE Hardware ordered from. Do you have photos? I really need to replace the rollers on my doors. Thanks.
akflyrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler
Salon Doors

I don't have the information but the rollers where for sliding screen patio doors. We found them at Ace, wrong size. The Ace people went online and found the same brand, they came in several sizes the store did not carry. The order them and they were delivered to the store within a few days. I've since sold the boat, she is now owned by another (Winmillxxx) forum member, he may have the information in all the literature that I gave him with the boat.
Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote