replacemant wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captal

Vessel Name
Captains Lady
Vessel Make
79 Marine Trader MT50
I have a 79 Marine Trader that I have to replace some decking on and have found some of the beams have some rot. Anyone have recommendations on types of wood and sources in the southeast. I was thinking oak or maybe cypris but not sure where to get it.
Thanks Al.

captal wrote:
I have a 79 Marine Trader that I have to replace some decking on and have found some of the beams have some rot. Anyone have recommendations on types of wood and sources in the southeast. I was thinking oak or maybe cypris but not sure where to get it.
Thanks Al.

Hey Al,
Welcome aboard! We have a customer in Ponchatoula Louisiana named Acadian Hardwoods. You can google them and see they have a location in Texas and the gulf side of Florida. They carry tons of cypress and probobly have white oak too (a good choice I'm told). They also carry plenty of Burmese teak in planks that can be milled.

Thanks Steve, I looked them up and they have a location in Chipley Fl. that is close to me. Right now my boat is on Lake Eufaula in Alabama. I'll call these folks monday. Thanks again Al.

Not to be a non tradionalist, but I would use pressure treated pine. Cheap,easy to get strong,easy to work with,will out last you.BB

captal wrote:
I have a 79 Marine Trader that I have to replace some decking on and have found some of the beams have some rot. Anyone have recommendations on types of wood and sources in the southeast. I was thinking oak or maybe cypris but not sure where to get it. Thanks Al.
*Depending on how much rot you are talking about, my first inclination would be to rebuild what you have with epoxy. * The windows in our home are Marvins and we bought them right at the time that they were switching from preservative that works to an eco-friendly type that doesn't work at all. *The result is that I have had to rebuild about a dozen of these that experienced rot. *Digging it out, saturating with epoxy thinned with MEK and then reforming with epoxy and wood filler produces a result that is hard to tell from the original and is certainly stronger. *Have you considered this? *Might be a whole lot less work and expense.

Thanks for the replies. The wood I need to*relace*are structural beams that support the deck between the cabin and*gunwals and needs to be pretty solid.

-- Edited by captal on Monday 2nd of January 2012 08:22:23 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom