Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Western Suburbs of Chicago
Vessel Name: Kimberly Dawn
Vessel Model: 1984 Marine Trader 40 Sundeck Trawlet
President 37 Sundeck Double Cabin

Does anyone know anything about the history or reputation of the President 37 Sundeck Double Cabin Trawler? I'm assuming it is another in the long list of CHB/Chung Hwa/Chien Hwa/Fu Hwa Taiwanese-built trawlers, and just wondered whether any TF members have had any specific knowledge of, and/or experience with, the President brand trawlers, particularly the 37 Sundeck DC (they also made a 37 Sedan Bridge model and a 370 "Sportfish" model as well, and other 38', 39' and 40' models). Thanks!
Boilermaker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a 41DC President. We have had it about 3.5 years now. We have done a lot of work repairing PO neglect and various upgrades. So far we have been very satisfied with the boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

City: Cape Coral, FL
Vessel Name: Exit Strategy
Vessel Model: President 37 Sundeck DC
We purchased our President 37 SunDeck DC in October. So far, so good but we're still getting intimate with the boat. Happy to try and answer and specific questions you might have. Ours surveyed well, and the fiberglass/gelcoat are in very good condition considering the age (1989). -Tim
timhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To Comodave and timhas: thank you both for your replies. If I fly down to see this 1986 boat in Florida, I'm sure I'll have lots more specific questions to ask.

But for starters, can either of you think of an obvious reason (i.e., source of water leakage) for a "soft" deck immediately in front of the rear entrance door to the main salon, off the aft sundeck? Should I be (a) not terribly concerned about that; (b) somewhat concerned; or (c) very concerned?

Peace and blessings,

Larry
Old 01-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The reason for a soft deck would be water intrusion. Depending on what type of deck it is the repairs can be fairly straightforward (fiberglass deck) or much more involved (teak deck). The repair would involve removing the top of the deck and replacing the core and then reinstalling the top of the deck. Not too difficult but the hard part is hiding the repair when you are done. Pretty easy with fiberglass, more difficult with teak. I am in the process of recaulking my sundeck teak deck. The old caulk was starting to crack so it would be leaking soon. Removing the old caulk is a real PITA. Lots of time on my knees which is getting old.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

City: Gwynn's Island, Va.
Vessel Model: 1986 37' President
Have a 86 37' aft cabin. Absolutely love the vessel. Perfect size for me and the wife and dog, plus room for guests. Been easy and straight forward to work on,though wife gets sent in on some of the tight spots. Had soft deck under long cabin Windows which leaked five years ago when we bought the boat. Easy repair, no visible sign of repair. Lots of luck with yours!
Terry on board the SuSeaQ.
SuseaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
We purchased a 1981 President 41 DC 5 yrs ago and love it.
As mentioned some repairs are easy, some are not. Soft surfaces are not a cause for walking away, they just need attention. Check under the windows along the walkways.
Overall construction is very good. Marine rated lumber and plywood throughout. Even the subflooring, in lockers and stringers are solid.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Comodave, thanks for your clarification regarding repairing a deck that water intrusion has softened the core under. The good news (I guess) is that the boat I'm looking at has an all fiberglass (no teak) deck, so it sounds like I won't have to spend as much time on my knees as you have with your teak deck repair. Peace and blessings, s/ Larry
Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

TJM, thanks for your response; you're the first one to comment on the overall construction quality of the President, and I really appreciate your feedback/input.
Peace and blessings, s/ Larry
Old 05-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #10

City: Hamilton
Vessel Model: President Yachts
Newbie President 37 Question

We have an offer on a 1988 and have seen the boat and love what it has to offer. Does anyone have or know of a source for an online User Manual? Does anyone have a PDF they can get me? Thanks in advance, and looking forward to being involved in the forum.

Happy Boating!
Anthony
Tony Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #11

City: Hamilton
Vessel Model: President Yachts
Proud 1988 President 37 Sundeck owner, join the facebook group

I did end up purchasing the 1988 President 37, and 4 weeks in and we love it.

Seeing that the smaller President Yachts are not that common I thought I would start a Facebook Group for us to share information on. It is called the President Yachts Sundeck Group. Feel free to join and share your President knowledge and experience!
Tony Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Canuck View Post

Seeing that the smaller President Yachts are not that common I thought I would start a Facebook Group for us to share information on. It is called the President Yachts Sundeck Group. Feel free to join and share your President knowledge and experience!
I don’t do Facebook...
Old 07-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
We purchased a 1981 President 41 DC 5 yrs ago and love it.
As mentioned some repairs are easy, some are not. Soft surfaces are not a cause for walking away, they just need attention. Check under the windows along the walkways.
Overall construction is very good. Marine rated lumber and plywood throughout. Even the subflooring, in lockers and stringers are solid.
The side windows on the trunk cabin were designed to leak. They put a straight aluminum window onto a curved fiberglass cabin side. Ours had been leaking obviously for some time. I removed the windows and glassed them closed. We added 3 10x10 hatches for light and ventilation. Much better now. I used a plywood called wiggle wood because it only has grain running in one direction so it is easy to bend. I made a form to layup the glass that had a curve equal to the cabin side and then put a piece of the wiggle wood cut to fit the opening in the cabin side. Then I took thickened epoxy and set the piece into the old opening in the cabin. I used clamps to hold the piece of fiberglass in the window openings until the epoxy went off. After everything with the windows was done I sanded all the nonskid off the decks and painted the decks with Kiwigrip.
Attached Thumbnails
642A60DF-0D4C-47FE-842A-DBF24D04AE12.jpg   A6CF7E10-3AEC-4446-BEEF-105261CDABB3.jpg   6BFBB07A-56B9-4D29-B73C-90D702D35FA1.jpg   A184359D-D4CC-4E40-9BCF-DB10C5BB98F4.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I just went out and took a photo of where the side windows were.
Attached Thumbnails
8A9249F0-2001-4290-859B-26E8D9317247.jpg  
Old 04-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #15

City: Malabar
I bought a 1987 President 37 Sundeck last week. It is located on the hard at Green Turtle Cay, by Abaco Island in the Bahamas. It sat in the yard since before Hurricane Doria two years ago. During the storm it sustained a small amount of damage when the adjacent boat fell against the starboard side. The salon windows were broken out, the stainless railing below them was bent, there is minor fiberglass damage to the base of the radar arch, and both arch base hinges are bent. I was unable to crank the engines and test any electrical components, as all batteries need replacing. I will need to return to the island with tools to prepare the boat for the trip to home at Palm Bay, FL. It has two Lehman SP225 diesels and an 8KW Westerbeke generator. Can anyone confirm the size of wrenches I need to buy for the engines? I believe the Ford engines are SAE and Westerbeke is metric.
dieseldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Here is Bob Smith’s recommended tool list for Lehmans. He was the guru on them.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #17

City: Malabar
Lehman Tools List

Thanks for the list, Comodave. It will be a very handy addition to our new boat
dieseldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
Thanks for the list, Comodave. It will be a very handy addition to our new boat
More than welcome. I was privileged enough to take Bob Smith’s last Lehman seminar before he passed away. The guy was phenomenal in his Lehman knowledge.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #19

City: Gatineau
Quote:
We have an offer on a 1988 and have seen the boat and love what it has to offer. Does anyone have or know of a source for an online User Manual? Does anyone have a PDF they can get me? Thanks in advance, and looking forward to being involved in the forum.

Happy Boating!
Anthony
Did you find one ? We just purchased one and we are looking for a manual.
Mont-Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #20

City: Gatineau
Quote:

I can't find it, do you have a link ?
Mont-Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
president 37, sundeck