Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

City: Stillwater, MN
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40 Europa Sedan
Marine Trader - Shoot through hull transducer

Has anyone epoxied in a transducer to the inside of the hull on a Marine Trader? I've done it on smaller boats with good results, but those hulls were probably a lot thinner.

The boat is still on the hard for the winter, so I could put an actual through hull in, but there really isn't any place on the hull that is close to horizontal.

1979 Marine Trader Europa
"Knot so Fast"
AdaminMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Airmar has through hull mountings that don't require epoxy only a pool of glycerine (I think that's what they use?)
You can experiment w a temp set up. And the mounting accommodates varioys dead rise angles.

Also those mounted through the hull can accommodate angles as well.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
yo
Veteran Member

yes Ive done it. you can make a dam out of clay inside the engine room on top of the hull, add water in dam and place transducer in water turn the unit on. just a way to check to see if it will work in your boat. if everything works use the epoxy . good luck
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: west olive mi.
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Transducer

Can't remember where I read it, I think here but anyway, I used a toilet wax ring. Just warm up the wax[in your hands] stick in bilge where you want transducer mounted, and stick transducer in the wax. Has worked very well for last 3 years. Only problem is not a very accurate water temp. reading.
swboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have done this several times. Use a piece of ABS sewer pipe, cut to the desired angle and epoxy it to the hull. Insert T-Ducer.
The temp reading is accurate. It just reflects the temp of the oil (I use Telus 10 hydraulic oil, just because I have lots) in which the T-Ducer sits. If you are moving through the water, the temp is very close to the outside water temp. If you are sitting still, it is influenced b the ER temp.
I get good depth readings to 600 ft from a very cheap Humminbird sounder and closer to 1000 from a better Garmin.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
You can get or make up a block to mount the transducer horizontal thru hull.
But, not wanting another hole in the boat and with no transducer pocket,I set up a normally transom mounted transducer, they often come included with a fishfinder/sounder, in a section of plastic drainpipe cut at the bottom with an angle to produce a flat top surface which(RTF stop reading now) I filled it with silicone sealant. Using a small level I got the transducer sitting level.
It shoots through the solid 3/4-1" hull, takes a minute at start up finding the bottom, then it`s all good.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

City: Washington, NC
Vessel Name: Hidden Costs II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
As far as I know fiberglass and water are basically the same for the transducer. Or they are close enough in density that it doesn't affect reading, but I like the wax ring idea to check.
fastinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
why not just use an Airmat ducer that has its own dam (pink antifreeze is the liguid suggested) and is adjustable to 22 degrees (I think) dead rise?

tjey are inexpensive and can be moved if you just caulk it down instead of using epoxy or 5200.
Attached Images

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
why not just use an Airmat ducer that has its own dam (pink antifreeze is the liguid suggested) and is adjustable to 22 degrees (I think) dead rise?

tjey are inexpensive and can be moved if you just caulk it down instead of using epoxy or 5200.
I know, right? All of the aforementioned methods (well most of them at least) work, but were devised as a method of shooting through the hull before the P79 transducer was marketed. Quick & easy plus they look professional & work great.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #11

On my center console I bunched up some butyl rubber tape, and placed it between the xducer and the hull. Squished the xducer into it and it worked great. Did this at the beginning of last season and it worked out well all last season. This was meant to be a trial set up but I will probably just leave it that way.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:

I have installed several of these with no issue and 1 less hole
Old 04-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:

I have one of these on my Monk. P79 NMEA 0183 version hooked to my Garmin chartplotter. It works fine for depth work. There is also a NMEA 2000 version. Now if I were fishing, I would want more sensitivity of a standard thru-hull where the sonic element is outside the hull.
Uses pink water system antifreeze so if it leaks, no big mess.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Marine Trader/CHBs have solid glass hulls, at least below the waterline, so it works well, just as long as you avoid the centre part of the hull above the deep skeg/keel.

I have mounted several Lowrance sonars this way by just squishing them into a nice big blob of Sikaflex, and fixing in the vertical position somehow until the Sikaflex sets. Works perfectly. Less holes in hull for sure.