Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

City: baltimore MD
May not be MT?

Hi All
I bought a 1973 40ft Marine Trader but was told by someone that it is not a MT because the hull number is incorrect. The hull number starts with PAS40 and I am wondering who made this boat. The other odd thing is this boat has twin engines which was uncomman for 40ft MT in the early 70s as I was told. Thanks in advance for any help
Chris
sailcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr.s. From the anecdotal stories I've heard I think the early 70's was a "get the product on the market" type of deal with neighboring yards swapping hulls, buying excess hulls and finishing the vessels in any way or anywhere. Demand was just starting to ramp up and everybody and their brother was building Taiwanese boats. Heady times.
At one point I compared 2 MT's side by side and the differences were astounding even down to different hulls. Yup, more or less the same boat/layout but enough differences to cause one to scratch one's head. Bottom line is: What's in a name? The "Marine Trader" company in Tom's River NJ was getting boats from wherever it could, rebadge-ing them as MT's and selling as many as they could get.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Do a search for HIN numbers on the web. There is a site that will give the manufacturer based on the first three letters of the HIN.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Here
PAS is the MIC of Passport Yachts.

You can check the HIN/MIC here.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote