May not be MT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailcwl

Hi All
I bought a 1973 40ft Marine Trader but was told by someone that it is not a MT because the hull number is incorrect. The hull number starts with PAS40 and I am wondering who made this boat. The other odd thing is this boat has twin engines which was uncomman for 40ft MT in the early 70s as I was told. Thanks in advance for any help
Chris

Greetings,
Mr.s. From the anecdotal stories I've heard I think the early 70's was a "get the product on the market" type of deal with neighboring yards swapping hulls, buying excess hulls and finishing the vessels in any way or anywhere. Demand was just starting to ramp up and everybody and their brother was building Taiwanese boats. Heady times.
At one point I compared 2 MT's side by side and the differences were astounding even down to different hulls. Yup, more or less the same boat/layout but enough differences to cause one to scratch one's head. Bottom line is: What's in a name? The "Marine Trader" company in Tom's River NJ was getting boats from wherever it could, rebadge-ing them as MT's and selling as many as they could get.

Do a search for HIN numbers on the web. There is a site that will give the manufacturer based on the first three letters of the HIN.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom