Marine Trader Double Cabin 34' Handling in Rough Waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillZe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Migration
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
Can anyone tell me how a Marine Trader 34' Double Cabin handles in rough seas? I have a Sea Ray Sundancer 290 now and am transitioning to a MT DC and was curious if anyone could give me some insight for how the boat reacts to a day out with some rougher seas.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Depends on what you consider rough. We had a MT 34' DC for 10 years. From what I recall, she did not like following seas greater than 2'. She also did not have enough speed to accomplish wave surfing so she would wallow and yaw but THAT could be MY inexperience. Not too wet in a head sea up to 3'. I might also add, I'm not terribly adept at estimating wave heights.
I have no experience with a SR 290 so I can't offer any comparison.

Thank you. My Sea Ray goes up and then "bangs" coming down. I was told that a Mainship Trawler 34' plows through and doesn't bang. I was curious if the MT DC reacted in rougher waters. I am not looking to go out in a storm or anything crazy, but it would be nice to not have to wait for the ocean to be like glass to go out in it.

i'm new to mine(it a 38 if it makes any difference) .but any sizable chop on the beam and you need every thing locked down. no bang in head seas maybe 3 feet but some spray on lower helm windows decks soaked.

I have experience with both the sea ray and marine trader. I took both to the Bahamas. I had a 24ft. Sea ray and she did exactly what you describe. It was like riding a jet ski. I currently own a 36ft. Marine trader double cabin sundeck. She was in 5-7 ft. Seas coming out of the Gulf Stream heading to the Bahamas. I was taking them starboard. Because of her long keel, she did well although not comfortable. Could not drive from the bridge, glad to drive from the cabin helm. I did not take on any water. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. She past her test. The ride home was glorious on auto pilot until Sebastian inlet, but that’s an inlet not too many would not attempt. I’ll stay clear from that one next time.

Attachments

• 684273F2-BD3B-470A-8554-49A839D02484.jpg
    684273F2-BD3B-470A-8554-49A839D02484.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 206
Thank you! That answers my question perfectly!

MT open ocean

I just brought my new to me 1982 MT Dc home to Clearwater with last leg 80nm in Gulf . we banged into a 2-4ft chop from leftover norther day before and faced 9-11 mph headwinds. Stayed on flybridge all the way and kept the 8mph speed. Boat did pretty good -then slowed to 7 mph and it did far better and stopped the surging into waves somewhat. However I would not like to go out in any rougher seas.

2-4 foot chop is a normal day for me. I prefer the ocean over the intracoastal

Apples and oranges. Semi displacement VS planning hulls. Sea ray rides on top of water, MT rides down in the water. 25k VS 7k. Fundamental difference in handling. Rolling can be uncomfortable in a unstabilized trawler but the ride is smooth more like a sailboat. Fatigue from rough ride can occur from planing hull, but power/speed helps control rolling. Opposite lifestyles really.

BTW nice shoes Donna!

2-4 foot chop is a normal day for me. I prefer the ocean over the intracoastal

Wifey B: So do we. Very much do. :D Nice day out today. Mostly swell instead of wind waves. Good day to play on the ocean. :)

I wouldn't take mine to yerp but it's fine for coastal waters.

They do not like quartering seas. Actually they don't care it's you who will get tired of correcting them.

The flared bow gives a nice dry ride - until it comes to a complete stop when it hits a huge wake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom