Marine Trader 34dc Flybridge Canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch9900

Veteran Member
I am in northern Ohio on Lake Erie. I have been calling canvas shops and not having any luck so far with someone to make camper canvas for my 34dc. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone they know or could refer me to? Anyone I have been able to speak with is looking at 2023 before they can do anything, or they are over $10k :ermm:

It is a tough market for having canvas work done. I used to do all of our canvas work but arthritis is slowing me down. We just contacted with the best fabricator in our area to make all ne canvas and reupholster all the seating in the cockpit, and there is a bunch of vinyl there. They will do it over the winter. They are booked now for the winter. Not cheap but they do excellent work. $21K for the canvas and upholstery. They will be using Stamoid Top, Sunbrella Horizon vinyl and Tenara thread with Sunbrella zippers.

Our boat canvas was originally done by a canvas business in Baldwinsville, New York. Still have their labels on some pieces. I asked them last year if they could replace a couple panels - I'd pay all shipping both ways, I'll send them the old pieces as a template, etc. Nope, they weren't interested. We have one canvas shop here in Sioux Falls. They do good work but last September I dropped off one panel and didn't get it back until the following April. Then I got a referral on this forum for Goia sails with shops in FL and New Jersey. Tried to contact them repeatedly in both locations, never got a response. I'm no seamstress but I give up - I'm buying a Sailrite sewing machine this winter and I'll try it myself, like almost all the other maintenance work I have to do myself too lately. Have nothing to lose except the cost of the machine and some ruined Sunbrella.

Last edited:
We have been looking at sailrite videos and trying to determine if we have the skill and patience for doing our own work. For only covering a 7x8.5ft space we may just want to give it a shot.

I was unable to find a canvas shop interested in replacing my flybridge canvas in the Port Clinton area (Lake Erie). I was told to expect to pay more than $10k if someone was willing to do the work. I bought a used juki sewing machine and learned how to sew. I spent approximately $3k for sunbrella and quality window material It was a lot of work. Look at some videos on sailrite webpage if you want to know what’s involved.

I have a Sailrite machine. It paid for itself the first job I did. We have now done 4 complete boats and tons of miscellaneous stuff. It isn’t rocket science but take your time and it will work. I only use Tenara thread. It will last forever. It is aa bit slippery but once you have the machine set up it isn’t any more difficult to use, just never have to restitch the work.

Our NP34 is dimensionally similar, but not a perfect match, to the MT34 in the slip next to us.

We have a blue sunbrella FB enclosure that we have never used since buying the boat three
years ago. We had a new Bimini cover made on the existing frame. The old (2006) enclosure is rolled with protective layers between the windows and stored in a canvas bag. If you would like to try to fit/modify it for your boat, you can have it for the cost of shipping from 98250.

Our NP34 is dimensionally similar, but not a perfect match, to the MT34 in the slip next to us.

We have a blue sunbrella FB enclosure that we have never used since buying the boat three
years ago. We had a new Bimini cover made on the existing frame. The old (2006) enclosure is rolled with protective layers between the windows and stored in a canvas bag. If you would like to try to fit/modify it for your boat, you can have it for the cost of shipping from 98250.

Wow, Crossroads that is SO nice of you. I would be very happy to give that a try! Let me know the cost and I can venmo or PayPal the money.

If anyone has an inkling to give DIY canvas work a try here is a "thread" (sorry... couldn't resist) you might be interested in.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22037
As others have mentioned it really isn't rocket science.
I wouldn't start with a new flybridge enclosure but with a few smaller projects to get the feel that is very doable.
Rockford supply usually has some 2nd / close out materials that are attractively priced to learn & experiment with. As you can tell by reading the above link there are several others here on TF that are experienced and willing to assist.
Don't be afraid would be my advice.

Great Lakes Canvas who is near Anchor Pointe is still in business. Steve’s Mobile Marine Canvas has given up. I’m not sure what happened to Absolutions Canvas. The shops in Toledo charge crazy prices as they mostly do work for the Toledo Beach crowd.

Not too many Trawlers around here, we should start a club.

I am in northern Ohio on Lake Erie. I have been calling canvas shops and not having any luck so far with someone to make camper canvas for my 34dc. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone they know or could refer me to? Anyone I have been able to speak with is looking at 2023 before they can do anything, or they are over $10k :ermm:

I just got my 77 32ft mt trawler.. I need to do the same tiing

Back
Top Bottom