Leaking Head Holding Tank Oceania 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hestia
Vessel Make
Oceania 30
We have a terrible feeling our head tank is leaking.
Has anyone any idea how to access it and remove
Thanks

I need a lot more information: Let's start with the answers to these questions:
Do you know where the tank is located in the boat? Whether it's plastic or metal? Why do you think it's leaking--odor? If so, is it confined to a particular area of the boat? How old is the boat? Are the toilet and hoses original?

--Peggie

The tank is located in the companionway before the v berth .
We replace the head and hoses. It is metal.
We shopvaced some strange smelling liquid out of the bilge.
The boat was built in 1984 (36years old) Have a feeling never repaired.
I will post pictures of the area.

Good info! If it's a metal tank, I agree that it should be replaced even if it's not leaking...yet. 'Cuz it definitely will, and I'm guessing from what you've said, you keep your bilge dry, so the "strange smelling liquid" wasn't just mixed with dirty bilge water.

How did you access the tank to replace hose from the toilet to the tank and the pumpout hoses? 'Cuz that's where you'll start to create the access needed to remove the tank. But before you do anything else, pump out and THOROUGHLY rinse out the tank. Don't use the head again unless you want to deal with cleaning a really nasty smelly bilge. And once you've accessed it to start removing it, put plastic waste basket liners under each hose connection to catch any spills when you remove the hoses from it.

As for how to gain enough access to the tank to remove it and replace it with a new one, I'll let others who are more familiar with your boat advise you about that.

Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for the new tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with. Their current catalog is here Ronco Plastics marine Tanks Because so many people have told 'em that their previous catalog is so much easier to search, they've left it up too Ronco Plastics old marine catalog

I'm always glad to answer questions here or privately and sure others will have plenty of advice too.

--Peggie

thanks so much for the link.....
I have your book and have been following to a tea..
Cheers

Definitely post pictures. On my 1985 Tung Hwa Senator the head holding tank is located in the head up under the counter, outboard of the sink. If I open the door under the sink and stick my head in and look up and to the port side thats where it is.

In the area you describe on my boat is located the shower sump tank. On mine the head holding tank is stainless and the shower sump tank is fiberglass with a wooden upper access door.

Of course yours may be different especially depending on what kind of toilet system you have. I think I have the original macerator style. I also think all tanks are original.

Last edited:
+1 on the photos. Maybe post some measurements of the existing tank.

My Tung Hwa 30 (similar if not identical) also has the holding tank under the floor in the companion way leading to the V berth. When a prior owner installed the tank (15 gallons), the forward bulkhead in the engine room was cut out down to the level of the engine room floor board. This allowed for sliding the tank forward so that the connections are basically in line with the toilet. Unfortunately, the forward end of my tank is raised, so the usable volume is less than 15 gallons.

Two problems with the location. Noise from the engine room now goes under the companionway floor which has no soundproofing. Also, the tank that was used is not very form fitting. A 30 gallon holding tank (assuming bigger is better) would likely have fit into that area.

If you have room under the floorboard in front of your engine, you might look at a tank like the Ronco B478 or B405, 30+ gallon keel shaped tanks. I think I would have to move my forward bilge pump a foot and either tank would fit. That would allow using the Ronco custom installation kit which has an "inspection port" that could be mounted on the top of the tank. Hope to God I would never have to inspect, but the tank would be well placed should that happen.

Mark

A 15 gallon holding tank deserves to be replaced. I would fit the largest tank possible into the area. With 15 gallons we would be pumping out every other day.

We have a terrible feeling our head tank is leaking.
Has anyone any idea how to access it and remove
Thanks

Actually, yes to all above. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and walk you through it if you are still interested... Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190217_175516.jpg
    20190217_175516.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190119 New holding tank.jpg
    20190119 New holding tank.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 9
Absolutely.....this has been a big concern for us as we want to travel next year.Right now we have a small portpoti installed.

Absolutely.....this has been a big concern for us as we want to travel next year.Right now we have a small portpoti installed.

The first thing I did was to get into the engine room as far forward as you can, and check out the space along the keel. Just forward of that bulkhead, you will find the holding tank. I had to cut an opening to be able to take the hoses off and pull it out through the engine room. It wasn't that difficult to do.

I also took all the hoses out as they were original and not made for sanitation. I treated myself to a new electric head while I was doing this work. You may want to consider this because:
1) An electric head has a mascerator that grinds the waste which can much easier push liquid waste to the holding tank or discharge liquefied waste overboard.
2) The pump can push the liquid to a larger holding tank that you may want to consider, given the waterway regulations. A larger holding tank could go elsewhere too; not just the same location!

After removing everything, I painted in there.

So, from the factory, you have the head sending waste to a "Y" valve that goes overboard through a thru-hull or when turned in the other direction, sends waste to the holding tank.

First thing you should do is get the old tank in your sights and see what kind of bulkhead cutting (if any) you need to get the tank out. Next, remove the old hose from the "Y" valve to the holding tank. Take everything out through the engine room, wrapping the old parts in garbage bags.
Clean and paint it with cheap Tremclad Rust Paint, not expensive bilge paint or cheap house paint from Home Depot. Just good old Tremclad oil based rust-o-lium paint. Get a gallon of light grey (or pink if you want to be different).
With everything painted, the sewage smell will be gone and you can now feel compelled to paint the rest of the engine room. Some day... not now.

Ok, the other reason to paint is... now you can see what you have. If you can find a teenager, get them to crawl into the hatch under your V-berth bunk. That is a second location you could now use to put a much larger holding tank.

I sail on the open ocean and we do not have holding tank pump out stations along the coast. Really weird, but true. Therefore I just found a polypropylene tank that would fit back in the space where the original metal holding tank lived. It is about the same size, but you are not restricted to using the same as the original.

Let's stop here. It is late and my pictures of the holding tank to the deck pumpout fitting are not great. For now, your homework is to decide if you want to stay original OR get a bigger holding tank in the large wasted space under the V-berth so you aren't pumping too frequently. Remember, your new electric head has a macerator that can push liquefied waste that far!

Next, I'll send pictures and explain how you have a second factory-installed macerator pump on the holding tank that can empty the holding tank (in legal areas) overboard or have a pump-out site suck the waste out of the holding tank.

Good luck. We also have Zoom or cell phones for questions or concerns. I feel badly that you have waited so long to get this resolved. Don't be scared, you can't do anything too wrong that can't be easily corrected. I certainly hook things up backwards more often than not! At least someone earlier warned you to empty the tank first. Yea, don't ask me. Of course I was smart enough to do that. Sure. Sure I was. :ermm: The smell will be gone soon! I promise.

Attachments

• 20210831_152638.jpg
    20210831_152638.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks very much for the details.
It looks like you went through the lower bottom of the froward bulkhead in the engine room.
Wow I am going to look at that area again and see if we can access the holding tank. I have a feeling we have a sump tank in front of our head holding tank which could be a problem.
The one picture of your painted area is difficult to understand what I am looking at. is that the area you installed your new tank.

Last edited:
21788-albums927-picture7039.jpg

This is companion way....with access to tank under floor board.

Thanks very much for the details.
It looks like you went through the lower bottom of the froward bulkhead in the engine room.
Wow I am going to look at that area again and see if we can access the holding tank. I have a feeling we have a sump tank in front of our head holding tank which could be a problem.
The one picture of your painted area is difficult to understand what I am looking at. is that the area you installed your new tank.

Here is a picture of what the area looked like after I removed the steel tank and painted the area. The next picture shows the poly tank installed today. Note that I installed it on a piece of plywood to support it. The plywood has a bit of fiberglass to hold it into position.

Does your boat have a head that is similar to my Oceania 30?
You may have to turn your screen sideways to view... sorry about that

Attachments

• 20190217_175516.jpg
    20190217_175516.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210831_152638.jpg
    20210831_152638.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210901_103017.jpg
    20210901_103017.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
21788-albums927-picture7039.jpg

This is companion way....with access to tank under floor board.

Ok, so we have the same boat. I have the same layout with the same small hatch at the bottom of the stairs.

My original steel holding tank was there.

Very interesting that you have a sliding door into your V-berth!

Attachments

• 20210901_103235.jpg
    20210901_103235.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210901_103218.jpg
    20210901_103218.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2
21788-albums927-picture7040.jpg
[/IMG]
Really not sure why images are being loaded wrong forum is not user friendly
Our head is just like your.
Like that toilet very clean.

Where do you think your steel holding tank is? Can you take a picture of the space under the small hatch at the bottom of the stairs?

Your head is the same layout as Cape Fear.

Yes it is very strange about that sliding door..it rattles like something...may have to remove not sure.
As far as the opening goes there is not much room. I will take photos this weekend.
We do have the same boat.
Ours came from Port Credit way back in the 1984. They were importing them and a broker was selling then.
We bought this boat from a fellow who reallyy did noting to it. Had to replacece head gasket but must say the Lehman works great.

Yes it is very strange about that sliding door..it rattles like something...may have to remove not sure.
As far as the opening goes there is not much room. I will take photos this weekend.
We do have the same boat.
Our came from Port Credit way back in the 1984. They were importing them and a broker was selling then.

That is where the original owner bought mine. He had it until 1997. I never got to meet him, so I picked it up without a transfer of any information. I don't think the boat was happy about going to the cold salt water on the Atlantic. At least she is out of the water from November to June (sometimes July). The hull has no water blisters and is quite heavily built.

Great..... sure nice to chat with someone who has the same boat.
We love it but with covid have not done much off the docks sadly.
Next year we want to do more and thus the need to get this problem sorted,
I installed a temp head portpotti that is working for now but only hold 5 litres of gold only...never any paper or solid matter. We have access at the club to pump out which helps.

21788-albums927-picture7043.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Not to worry. I'll help you as much as I can. It isn't difficult. The hardest part is just starting. An option would be to find a flexible, strong eager under employed individual to meet you on a Saturday morning to dismantle the existing holding tank. Once it is out and painted, you can take your time measuring and deciding where to put the new tank if it is going to be larger than the one I put in.

I'll then show you how to hook up the other side of the equation (emptying the tank) I better get back to work! Send pics when you can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom