Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RoughWater

The 58 ft RoughWater was also built at the CHB yard using an existing commercial trawler, which was for commercial fishing trawlers in the area.* Less then a dozen were built, but only 5 remain. All 5 have/are going through major refit/remodeling.* The last 58 ft was sold out of Everett, and was moored two slip down from us.* The new owner, a retired commercial supply/tug captain, bought the Freedom because of its long range and capability required for the BC Canada and ***southern Alaska area.* Ed Monk Sr. was the marine engineer design the 58 ft., so the boat was designed for max* fuel efficiency and long arrange even by today standards. **The hull is heavily laid up being it is a commercial hull and during that time, 1978, were not sure about FG so the most hulls were laid up thicker/heavier at that time.* The construction is similar to the US made boats during that time, because they were being engineer and designed by US engineers for the US market. *The 58 ft come in walk around and wide body.* The Eagle is a wide body so the salon is the full width of the boat, where as the walk around salon is quite narrow.* The 58 ft RW was about 10 to 20 years before its time as even in 1995 trawlers were not well accepted.*

My feeling is most problem areas are design errors, some material quality, customer/marketing demand but no so much skill of construction.* I mean the boats were built to the design, material/technology, and US market demand of that time.* The major concerns are the teak wood decks leaking, side windows leaking, the mid steel tank, and the hours/age of the engines depending on how maintained.* If maintained/repaired properly/timely not to big of a concern but should be looked at.* I think a well maintain TT is as good if not better than many of the US made boasts of the time period.* Since the majority of big band name boats are foreign made that being a TT should not be a negative influence for todays informed buyer.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: RoughWater

Nice boat Phil
*** ** I have been smitten with the 58 ever since I saw "Freedom" on the market several years ago. Had I been able to acquire moorage I would have made the move. Thanks for all the info. Do you have any more photos you could post?
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

RoughWater

Phil I was in Norfolk Va last year and got a tour of I believe it was Peggy's 58 Roughwater. Massive is the only word I can use to describe it.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Guru

Carey, there are quite a few pictures on the RoughWater site, which is where Chuck the previous owner of the Freedom become enchanted with the Eagle.* So what kind of pictures/information are you interest in? **You should have given me a call as you might have been a pride owner.

The Freedom was trucked up from Texas in 1997, by a retired couple and moored in Poulsbo, which we visited with many time.* Nice older couple, I forget their name, he died, and the boat sat for a couple of years. I lost track of it for several years until it popped up for sale on LakeUnion in 2003 *Chuck dropped many times and I got him a slip in Everett where I work. Chuck up grade and maintained the Freedom until he died in December 2005.* The boat sat and was not maintained until his estate was settled for almost one year and during that time developed some noticeable issues.* )-;* I think the surveyors blew the concerns issue way out of proportions.* Sept 1, 2006 we moored two slips down from the Freedom, I could not believe the poor condition of the boat mainly do to lack of care and maintenance by the estate and the broker.* .I would never leave my boat in the care of a broker.*

In March 2007, Jim, a retired commercial captain, become interest in the boat, and with the Eagle moored two slips away had the Eagle to compare. *Jim and I took the surveyors report and went through the Freedom. The Eagle had most of the same problems concerns, which I had already fixed/addressed. At the time I bought the Eagle they were not a big concern to me which is another long story.* The leaks we had stopped in a week, not pretty but stopped, so at least some repair/replacements could be done. (500 bucks). The 671 was said to have 1 or 2 cylinder/holes needing rebuilt,* (12 grand) when actually was actually exhaust back pressure, which burnt the valves, wrong oil, and need a tune up which took another week. (2 grand) **Anyway by the time the boat closed ( 1 month) the majority of the concerns/issues were fixed/know which was estimated by the survey like 25 to 50 grand for less than 5 grand and 3 weeks of time labor. I just got off the phone with Jim and presently he is in LundBC the end of the road for the winter and plan to head up to Prince Rupert in the spring and want me to come with him.* He said the boat is better than he expected with no stabilization in 5+ ft seas, but he is use that. .* I think he just wants to scare the you know what out of me.* )-;

Larry, her name is Kathy Hill, the boat name is the Dorothy June. I think you are getting her mixed up with Peggy Hall.* They come out to look at the Eagle before they bought it, and send/showed me hundred of pictures that we went though.* Seeing the potential and capability was the deciding factor.* They added sails and stabilization to make her a motor sail, which I have pictures of.* They split up about a year ago and I lost track of them.* Another long interesting story. **The 58 ft are massive, but can be single/couple handled as they are true full displacement and slow to move/respond which give time to counter.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #5

RoughWater

Sorry to here about the split. I guess this calls for a boat trip to see if the boat is still at the end of the Hampton tunnel. It's he-- getting old.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Guru

Well, here are some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
eagle - open water-reduced to web size.jpg   eagle - gene.jpg   eagle on the hard - gene.jpg  
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
RoughWater

There is another RoughWater 58 called "Swan Song" owned by a Dave and Nancy (don't know the last name). Dave freuently participates in the Trawlers & Trawlering forum (T&T). I believe they are currently in Central America with the boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 AM   #8

RoughWater

WOW. 64000 lbs displacement. Sure beats my miserly 46000.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Guru

The last time we pulled we were slightly over 40 ton as a lot of weight and extras been added since new.* Most 58 fully rigged/stock/tank full comes in over 40 ton.

I lost track of Dave and Nancy, they use to post on the RoughWater site.* The installed a water flume tank stabilization were the water is timed to low back from one side to the other, which I been meaning to get more information on as the Eagle does not have any stabilization, but has been up and down the right side by previous owners.

Attached is a picture of the Dorothy June where they added stabilizers and sails to make her one bitchy ugly trawler. * ***
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: -
RoughWater

Phil---

I sent you a Private Message with contact info for Dave and Nancy on "Swan Song."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #11

RoughWater

They had pictures posted on PMM sometime back. With the sails up it looked a little busy, but they were happy with it at the time.

I don't have a mast on my boat at all and have no plans to put one on. I'm happy with the way it handles right now. When we bought her up from FL we went through some pretty strong winds and some fairly wide open sounds and had no problems, but that doesn't mean that the open ocean wouldn't be a chore for her. She's full displacement steel and feels like a tank when handling her. I don't have a bow thruster either and she goes in and out of a slip and turns on a dime, low windage is a plus also. I guess you can tell I like my ship..
Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
Guru

Here is a picture of Dorothy Anne showing her will fish stabilizers and sails.* Kathy said they could do about 1 to 3 knots, which helps to increase the range and reduce the fuel cost.* Anyway, I think she would be a very capable long range boat.* Also I hear she maybe for sale?*
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Guru

When we pulled the Eagle in September, had the hull surveyed for insurance and incase a full survey is required before we pull again in 3 years.* According to the surveyor report the Eagle was built at the CBK , Chien Hwa Boat, that builds the Krogen.* So the Eagle maybe the grandfather/inspiration for the Krogan?*
I thought the Eagle related to the CHB?* We been going to CHB yearly rendezvous, which we will continue going, but now we can also go to the Krogan rendezvous.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

City: Ft Myers Yacht Basin, Florida
Vessel Name: Swan Song
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 North Sea custom
Swan Song Roughwater 58

Hi just an update on Swan Song.....our Roughwater 58.

She's lying in Ft Myers Fl after a nice 6 mo 8000 nm run from Honolulu :-)

Haven't been on the forum for sometime...sorry lots of stories ;-)

Phil, tried to PM you but forum says I'm a newbee so can't do so.

Cheers
Dave
Capt Dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #15

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Phil last visited October of 2017........
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dav View Post
Hi just an update on Swan Song.....our Roughwater 58.

She's lying in Ft Myers Fl after a nice 6 mo 8000 nm run from Honolulu :-)

Haven't been on the forum for sometime...sorry lots of stories ;-)

Phil, tried to PM you but forum says I'm a newbee so can't do so.

Cheers
Dave

We love long cruise stories. Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Phil last visited October of 2017........

I hope Phil is OK and cruising.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote