I feel so much better about EVERYTHING now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boats to me are kind of like cars are to me. I have two classic cars, one I put together and the other was mostly like it is when I bought it. Just like this boat, you can buy one “done” cheaper than you can rebuild one. And some people don’t care as much what their cars or boats look like as long as they are functional. I can attest to that because we’ve been boat shopping about 4 months and there is a LOT of crap out there that the owners think are pretty nice. My point being this boat isn’t for everyone because some wouldn’t appreciate all the work that’s been done. So many boats I’ve looked at in the $85k range could easily have another $100k put into them and still wouldn't be as good as this one.

Different strokes for different folks.

That just isn’t the fact about Lehmans. They can easily run to the 10K to 15 K hours.

I have not made a secret how I feel about ford Lehman. I know that is sacrilege to some however show me a Ford Lehman with 10,000 hours on it I want proof in fact show me one that has over 5000 hours on it .I want proof I hear all this talk about Lehman I don’t believe much of it .I have owned owned probably 20 of them never bought one with 4000 hours on it .I want proof not hearsay proof and then maybe I’ll believe you . I don’t pay much attention to hours ,start the engine cold on a 40° day if it starts with a the turn of the key it’s probably a good engine .hours can mean very little the best indicator of where is how much fuel the engine has burned which is impossible to know on those dinosaurs . The reason they’re still around is a lot of builders used them because they were cheap .most of the boats Set around their entire life ,as you know most people barely use their dock queens this boat is a real good example of that

I have not made a secret how I feel about ford Lehman. I know that is sacrilege to some however show me a Ford Lehman with 10,000 hours on it I want proof in fact show me one that has over 5000 hours on it .I want proof I hear all this talk about Lehman I don’t believe much of it .I have owned owned probably 20 of them never bought one with 4000 hours on it .I want proof not hearsay proof and then maybe I’ll believe you . I don’t pay much attention to hours ,start the engine cold on a 40° day if it starts with a the turn of the key it’s probably a good engine .hours can mean very little the best indicator of where is how much fuel the engine has burned which is impossible to know on those dinosaurs . The reason they’re still around is a lot of builders used them because they were cheap .most of the boats Set around their entire life ,as you know most people barely use their dock queens this boat is a real good example of that

Personally, I don’t care about what you think and I certainly don’t need to proove anything to you.

Personally, I don’t care about what you think and I certainly don’t need to proove anything to you.

Exactly or to anyone else I guess you are not to be questioned maybe somebody else can you show me I doubt it

Personally, I don’t care about what you think and I certainly don’t need to prove anything to you.
True but must he be quoted,showing his "posts" otherwise avoided.

I sold a boat in 2015 with a FL 120 with well over 5000 hours on it. I owned the boat for 29 years, the hours were "real." I once asked the owner of Admiralty Marine in San Diego (where I had to have the other FL120 in that boat overhauled because of a ridiculously high-mounted iron muffler which allowed seawater into the engine when the muffler rotted) what the largest number of hours he had seen on one. He said around 10K hours, and it was just in for an oil change. You may accept this as "proof," or not - your choice.

I sold a boat in 2015 with a FL 120 with well over 5000 hours on it. I owned the boat for 29 years, the hours were "real." I once asked the owner of Admiralty Marine in San Diego (where I had to have the other FL120 in that boat overhauled because of a ridiculously high-mounted iron muffler which allowed seawater into the engine when the muffler rotted) what the largest number of hours he had seen on one. He said around 10K hours, and it was just in for an oil change. You may accept this as "proof," or not - your choice.

OK I’m sure it is possible, I’m sure a handful of lehmans out there that way 5000+ hours. For the one that made it ,there are many that didn’t make it that far for lack of use or whatever .I had a gas generator in a bucket truck that had more than 5000 hrs on it.I’m not a fan of the Ford Lehman ,Very noisy rattling vibrating the whole boat .I don’t know what the love affair with those motors are.You should be able to get 5000+ hours out of any diesel but it’s not all that common with the fords . there is a landscape business down the road from me that rents an excavator it has a four-cylinder Kabota engine with 38,000 hours I know because I rented it and I know the owner I’m glad your lehmans worked out for you and I hope they work out for Others as well .I just wouldn’t spend any money on one. I would yard it out and put a Kabota in .you would be hard-pressed to find many lehmans in something besides a boat ,you find Perkins in just about everything .The only thing with much success we’re boats primarily because they didn’t get used

OK I’m sure it is possible, I’m sure a handful of lehmans out there that way 5000+ hours. For the one that made it ,there are many that didn’t make it that far for lack of use or whatever .I had a gas generator in a bucket truck that had more than 5000 hrs on it.I’m not a fan of the Ford Lehman ,Very noisy rattling vibrating the whole boat .I don’t know what the love affair with those motors are.You should be able to get 5000+ hours out of any diesel but it’s not all that common with the fords . there is a landscape business down the road from me that rents an excavator it has a four-cylinder Kabota engine with 38,000 hours I know because I rented it and I know the owner I’m glad your lehmans worked out for you and I hope they work out for Others as well .I just wouldn’t spend any money on one. I would yard it out and put a Kabota in .you would be hard-pressed to find many lehmans in something besides a boat ,you find Perkins in just about everything .The only thing with much success we’re boats primarily because they didn’t get used

I understand the FL120 was originally used in lorries and was not universally admired in that role, but as a boat engine they excelled. Having followed the comments and stories here and on Boatdiesel.com and other places on the web since 1998, along with my experience and others whose FL120s I performed maintenance on, I find your opinion to be a very far afield outlier and would not want anybody reading this thread to get the opinion the engine is not a fine boat engine. I would by a boat so equipped in a New York minute.

CatalinaJack, I yield to your experience.
My N46 had a Deere, ran for over 9,000 hours then the owner repowered with, I think, a Volvo.

Now that is just plain wrong... swap a Deere for a Volvo.. sacrilegious!

When the new Volvo starts needing parts the old Deere will start to look really good.

Currently have a Volvo... wish is was a JD

HOLLYWOOD

Exactly or to anyone else I guess you are not to be questioned maybe somebody else can you show me I doubt it

Ok, here's one example Scooby. When I bought our '75 vintage CHB34, the Lehman's engine hours on the tacho read 5000 odd. Can't remember how many over 5000 they were now. The hour meter broke down shortly after we bought her - maybe even some time before - can't be sure. But, here's the relevant bit. Because the tacho was still working fine, I didn't bother to replace it. We ran that boat for another 16 years, with just an oil change each season, and the engine was still running as sweet when I sold her as when we bought her, with just one new water pump impeller, one replaced exhaust knuckle and heat exchanger, and one new (fibreglass this time) muffler, and that was it. Hour meter still showing 5000+ hours, but had probably done another 2000 at least in 16 years.

Always started first plonk. Until our last outing, that is, when she died as we entered an anchorage and nothing I could do would correct it although I knew it was a fuel feed issue. Costly tow home. The mechanic found the fault so quickly he didn't have the heart to charge us. The brass knurled nut joint where the fuel line met the on-engine filters, which had never been disturbed in the whole 16 years, decided right then to develop just enough air leak to cause stalling when the revs dropped. One nip with a spanner fixed it..! I was not amused and rather sad it spoiled our last outing in her. But the guts of it is, that engine was the most reliable thing in the boat.

Now that is just plain wrong... swap a Deere for a Volvo.. sacrilegious!

When the new Volvo starts needing parts the old Deere will start to look really good.

Currently have a Volvo... wish is was a JD

HOLLYWOOD

Agree 100%. I won’t even look at a boat with them in it. Had them in one previous boat.

Guilty as charged....lol Well it's obviously not a done deal but we've agreed on a price subject to me flying in to climb around the boat and look at it in person and a survey of course. Some might think the negotiated price is still too high but I'm not interested in buying something that the owner hasn't taken care of and I'm finding that's about 90%+ of the boats for sale up and down the East Coast...at least what I consider "taking good care of a boat".

Thanks to the OP for putting this up or I'd have never seen it. We were looking for a GB 36 Motor Yacht which is a pretty rare boat to try and find and when you do, they want the same kind of money here only with out any of the upgrades. And I know people will go on and on about GB's versus CHB's but I've owned two GB's and while very nice boats, trust me...they're plagued with as many problems as any boat.

I'll just say this...there is way more to this boat, the listing (it was really a FSBO) and the seller than was in the ad. A very experienced boat and car guy did the work to be his own boat and really has applied some unique ideas that you just don't see on the average boat. Not to get in the weeds but epoxy bottom, Alwgrip hull and cabin, new window frames and glass and west system decks and custom shower and no varnish used. Boat was custom ordered by original (previous) owner as a 36 Motor Yacht. As far as I know, CHB never made any other 36's in the Motor Yacht model/design. If someone has one, I'd love to see photos! Personal changes have altered his ability to use the boat as planned.

If the deal goes thru, we'll be keeping her in our 40" covered slip.

I couldn't find more recent lab work but here you go. :) Look at the date and hours (8,000 plus hours in 6/2015).

Attachments

• scan.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Lab Lehman.jpg
    Lab Lehman.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Guilty as charged....lol

Congrats!!! You'll have the nicest CHB on the planet probably! Looking forward to hearing more & seeing your pics. Good luck!

I couldn't find more recent lab work but here you go. :) Look at the date and hours (8,000 plus hours in 6/2015).

Where is the boat now anyways it looks like you use your boat and it didn’t sit quite as much I didn’t say it’s not possible I just said show me I’m still waiting for the 10,000 hour boat but I appreciate it doesn’t change my opinion about the motor much. I don’t like them you guys do we don’t agree ,I’m not allowed to disagree geez because I don’t agree means a catastrophe . It makes me a horrible guy because I have strong opinions whatever .I have a 38-year-old Perkins in my boat not quite 2000 hours another dock queen ,I’m looking for any excuse the yard it out and put a Kabota in

Having strong opinions is not the same as opinions stated strongly. Disagreeing isn't the same as being disagreeable.

Where is the boat now anyways it looks like you use your boat and it didn’t sit quite as much I didn’t say it’s not possible I just said show me I’m still waiting for the 10,000 hour boat but I appreciate it doesn’t change my opinion about the motor much. I don’t like them you guys do we don’t agree ,I’m not allowed to disagree geez because I don’t agree means a catastrophe . It makes me a horrible guy because I have strong opinions whatever .I have a 38-year-old Perkins in my boat not quite 2000 hours another dock queen ,I’m looking for any excuse the yard it out and put a Kabota in
Incomprehensible word salad.

No TBN number so no way to know whether the oil is still good to use. What is "insolubles"? Is that soot?

Ok, here's one example Scooby. When I bought our '75 vintage CHB34, the Lehman's engine hours on the tacho read 5000 odd. Can't remember how many over 5000 they were now. The hour meter broke down shortly after we bought her - maybe even some time before - can't be sure. But, here's the relevant bit. Because the tacho was still working fine, I didn't bother to replace it. We ran that boat for another 16 years, with just an oil change each season, and the engine was still running as sweet when I sold her as when we bought her, with just one new water pump impeller, one replaced exhaust knuckle and heat exchanger, and one new (fibreglass this time) muffler, and that was it. Hour meter still showing 5000+ hours, but had probably done another 2000 at least in 16 years.

Always started first plonk. Until our last outing, that is, when she died as we entered an anchorage and nothing I could do would correct it although I knew it was a fuel feed issue. Costly tow home. The mechanic found the fault so quickly he didn't have the heart to charge us. The brass knurled nut joint where the fuel line met the on-engine filters, which had never been disturbed in the whole 16 years, decided right then to develop just enough air leak to cause stalling when the revs dropped. One nip with a spanner fixed it..! I was not amused and rather sad it spoiled our last outing in her. But the guts of it is, that engine was the most reliable thing in the boat.
Great post. New to Diesels and I am getting to know mine intimately. I love the simplicity of it and it's the little details of trouble-shooting I enjoy reading and stuffing into the memory-bank. :)

My Lehman 120s have 6,700 hours on them and they run just fine with stellar oil analysis reports. Last I knew 6,700 was more than 5,000.

Open your wallet and you can have your Kubota.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike the Lehman (it certainly wouldn't be my first pick for an engine), but durability isn't one of them. Realistically, most pleasure boats just don't get used enough to actually wear out an engine unless it's a sport fish run hard with short lived engines.

And many don't get great maintenance, so plenty of engines get killed by a failed part long before they're worn out. Heck, my own boat is an example of that. One engine with 1800 hours, one with 300 (killed by a failed oil cooler line before I got the boat). Mind you, plenty of people are shocked that the 2 engines run equally well and the higher hours one still checks out perfectly healthy (they're gassers, so many would expect to see them tired by 1000 hours).

Then do it and quit being disagreeable with everyone. Instead how about being nice to others?

Last edited:
Open your wallet and you can have your Kubota.
How did you work out what you thought he was saying? It`s a bold move to interpret his "posts", if I may grace them with that term. Near meaningless imo. I read that one because someone quoted it,now there `s 30 seconds lost forever.

Congrats!!! You'll have the nicest CHB on the planet probably! Looking forward to hearing more & seeing your pics. Good luck!

We actually didn't come together on it. While it's a beautiful boat and I'd have loved to have it as my "last boat" in my boating life, it didn't work. Growing up and boating a good portion of my adult life in the PNW area and then moving to VA and boating on the Chesapeake Bay, I found I was pretty ignorant about how boating works up north. I had no idea boats went on the hard come Sept, got put in heated warehouses and so on. Nor did I realize that they don't even start splashing boats in the Great Lakes until late May or that the Erie Canal closed and doesn't re-open until late May at best and sometimes it can be mid summer. Bottom line was it was looking like we couldn't realistically get the boat home until late July and since boating season here in SE Virginia stats about April, the voice of reason (or my bride) brought me to my senses and said let's look a little closer to home.

We actually didn't come together on it. While it's a beautiful boat and I'd have loved to have it as my "last boat" in my boating life, it didn't work. Growing up and boating a good portion of my adult life in the PNW area and then moving to VA and boating on the Chesapeake Bay, I found I was pretty ignorant about how boating works up north. I had no idea boats went on the hard come Sept, got put in heated warehouses and so on. Nor did I realize that they don't even start splashing boats in the Great Lakes until late May or that the Erie Canal closed and doesn't re-open until late May at best and sometimes it can be mid summer. Bottom line was it was looking like we couldn't realistically get the boat home until late July and since boating season here in SE Virginia stats about April, the voice of reason (or my bride) brought me to my senses and said let's look a little closer to home.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. The timing of the Erie Canal (mid to late May opening most years) can be a pain. But the rest of the season up north isn't quite as short as you were led to believe. This past year we launched on April 6th, hauled October 26th (Lake Ontario). We were a fairly early launch, but only a moderately late haul. There are plenty that boat mid-May to mid-September at most, but that's far from the limit.

Back
Top Bottom