Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Sea Ranger 47

We currently own a Sea Ranger 47, raised pilot house trawler. *We would love to find out some of the history of this make of Taiwanese trawler and get in touch with any other owners...
Attached Thumbnails
bpicture f431.jpg   dpicture h078.jpg  
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Sea Ranger 47

Very nice boat!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks John for the compliment to "Delia Rosa".
We have only owned her for a couple of years and are still in the process of addressing some of her "flaws" (she is an older lady, built in 1985), but we have really enjoyed cruising on her. We had a wonderful trip bringing her home from New Hampshire where we purchased her.... down the Atlantic coast to New York, then up the Hudson and through the New York Canal system to Lake Ontario. We are Canadian but we keep her in Wilson New York (on Lake Ontario) during the summer.
She makes a great cruiser as well as a comfortable live aboard!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

Just wanted to mention that I have been reading through a lot of the older posts and have actually managed to find two other Sea Ranger 47's. Both appear to be out on the west coast. I have messaged both of them, so who knows, if they are still owners, they might message me back... here's hoping!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

Susan, Delia Rosa is indeed a beautiful boat. My little ship hopes to be as beautiful as yours when she grows up!

Best of luck in finding other similar trawlers. *There are bound to be some here about on this forum.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks Mike for the compliment... We were very lucky to find Delia Rosa.. I am not sure how many C & L *Sea Rangers were built, but there don't seem to be too many around - at least not on the Atlantic coast!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Maybe not. generally, the Taiwanese boats are designed and imported by somebody in the states. Depending on what coast that "Somebody" is, that is where the boats ended up. Boats like the Ponderosa....They are still CHB built boats but they were imported by whoever Poderosa is and it is difficult to find a Ponderosa on any other coast....that is just an example. The Roughwater would be another....Ed Monk designed and they landed on the West Coast.

I am not sure where the C&L Sea Rangers landed, but I am thinking they are a West Coast boat.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

I think you are right.... there certainly seem to be more on the west coast anyway... we actually almost bought one from the west coast but decided we weren't experienced enough to bring the boat down and through the Panama canal and then back up to Lake Ontario. *And shipping costs were upwards of $40,000... way too much for us. *So we kept looking and finally found our PH version in New Hampshire... the only 47 I've ever seen on the east coast. *(there was actually a 45 we found in Florida but she surveyed very badly so we let her go)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Hi John,

I have had no success in my efforts to contact any other owners of C & L Sea Rangers. I have private messaged the two owners of Sea Rangers that I found listed on Trawler Forum with no success. Do you know of any other forums that might help me find other owners of this trawler. I know that there don't seem to be too many out there, but there must be some kind of historical site that one could access. We love our trawler and it would just be great to be in touch with other owners!

regards,
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Raised pilothouses are the way to go.* What helmsman doesn't want to see ahead/around?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #11

Finally have been able to have a chance to subscribe to this seemingly wonderful forum. I am the very proud owner of a 1989 52' C&L Sea Ranger Cockpit Trawler with twin Cummins 6BTA 5.9s and a Westerbeke 8 kw. I purchased her in Annapolis MD late in 2009 and last year, when my personal plans changed, I took her (with a two man crew) from Annapolis to my home in Tennessee at the top of the TN/Tombigbee waterway (not land-locked).

Although she was a tad larger in LOA than I had originally planned for (I am a single man w/o family), I was incredibly impressed with her build quality, hardware, and of course the teak interior - most prevalent in the Taiwan makes. My boat was actually done up in the KING Yard - I have been told that in 1988, C&L changed yards - however, I do not know where the earlier models were built. I am impressed with every inch of this vessel thus far, bow to stern and mast to keel - and WOW, what a keel - she proved her worth on a night Gulf Crossing (small craft advisory) leaving Tarpon Springs and arriving 10 hours later in Applachicola after non-stop 8s and 10s on the BEAM. I can only say that I can think this boat can take a HECK of A LOT more than I CAN !!!

Another testament to this vessel is the previous owners (2 owner vessel) upkeep, open checkbook maintenance, and retaining and full documentation of EVERYTHING - a rare find to say the least. Before taking the "half loop", I loaded up on redundancies, including the normal and in addition fresh water pumps for the mains and gennie, and electronics as well.

She is a 2 stateroom (walk around queens in both), one office (converted from an upper/lower bunk stateroom)*, two full heads with walk in showers,**a massive salon and galley down with dinette, and an enormous aft deck*- I have attached pictures for all.

I hope this has helped open up further banter ragarding the C&L Sea Ranger lines (both left and right coasts) and I truly hope to be able to contribute to this board fully in any way that I can.

Regards,
dcboater (now in TN)
Attached Thumbnails
ad_pic35.jpg   ad_pic32.jpg   ad_pic38.jpg   ad_pic3.jpg  
dcboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Welcome KeithGorgeous boat. I could live there.

We*look forward to hearing more about you and your boating adventures.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Very nice boat! That's my idea of a master stateroom!!!

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the kind words *- glad to be part of such a great forum! I have also left a private message to Delia Rosa - the starter of this thread - hopefully they will get back to me as well.

Regarding the master stateroom - yes, I love it - what is truly amazing is that the minimum headroom throughout the vessel is 6'8" - myself being 6'1" - I do adore that as well. My previous boat was a 1970 Alglas 43 FDMY - a great "bulldozer" type hull with classic lines (picture a 43 Hatteras FDMY), but as we all know, the earlier American hull designs did not accomodate anyone over 6'2" with a kind note... Either way, I lived and cruised on her for 7 years - before moving to the DC area and being "boatless" (a richer man in the hip pocket alone) and concentrating on making my mark on the HealthCare administration efforts from 1999 to 2010.

Well - enough personal stuff. Before purchase, I had a full survey and independent diesel inspection done up in the Annapolis area and I can recommend great folks if anyone ever needs them - also, had major work done at Zahnhisers yard in Solomons Island over the winter months of 2009 - 2010 before the "half loop" - I simply cannot say enough good things about Craig and his staff at that yard - simply amazing, honest, artisans, experts in every class and always on time and under budget - at least with me.

I'm attaching a few pics of her on the hard so you can see her keel - as stated before, she REALLY saved me and my crew in the roughest Gulf Crossing I've personally been through. Not to mention her flybridge helm which is uncommonly set way abaft of the windshield and slightly to starboard - makes for a very dry "sleigh ride" in rough seas. I'll post pictures of the bridge next time.

I look forward to contributing - please feel free to ask questions - I'll do my very best to assist in any way possible.

Thanks again,
dcboater
Attached Thumbnails
pb160004.jpg   pb160006.jpg   p5050082.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #15

Everyone - my sincere apologies - I didn't realize that there was a thread under the General Discussion tree where we were to post pictures - I will do so soon. I need to get some newer pictures of my lady anyway !!!

Thanks again,
dcboater
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Quote:
dcboater wrote:

I am the very proud owner of a 1989 52' C&L Sea Ranger Cockpit Trawler with twin Cummins 6BTA 5.9s and a Westerbeke 8 kw.
Another testament to this vessel is the previous owners (2 owner vessel) upkeep, open checkbook maintenance, and retaining and full documentation of EVERYTHING - a rare find to say the least.

Lovely vessel indeed.* In fact there is one for sale at our marina as we speak, and I had a good look last weekend.* I looked, lusted, then thought about the size of that checkbook to keep one going............sadly must pass on it.....there are some advantages to being single without family, (not a lot, but some), and finance is one of them.....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #17

Peter - thanks for the response - I must say that your CHB 34 is very nice indeed and Brisbane is a very fine area to be enjoying her in.

Do you mind telling me what the asking price was of the Sea Ranger in your marina, her condition and how equipped? I'm just curious - definately NOT wanting to look, but I'm sure I'm like everyone else, just always wanting a vote of confidence that I did well in my purchase

Thanks again,
dcboater
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Sea Ranger 47

Quote:
dcboater wrote:

Peter - thanks for the response - I must say that your CHB 34 is very nice indeed and Brisbane is a very fine area to be enjoying her in.

Do you mind telling me what the asking price was of the Sea Ranger in your marina, her condition and how equipped? I'm just curious - definately NOT wanting to look, but I'm sure I'm like everyone else, just always wanting a vote of confidence that I did well in my purchase

Thanks again,
dcboater
You're welcome DC.* Here, have a look for yourself.* Bearing in mind the $Aus is now at parity or a bit higher than the $US, prices would be comparable I think?

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...aspx?R=8940774

PS.* Four brokers have the same vessel listed 3 at the same price, $348k, one for $375k

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 07:13:28 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #19

In that case - I'm VERY VERY VERY pleased to say the least. Especially since mine is a 52, basically a 47 like the one in your marina with a cockpit. I adore the cockpit feature, not only for convenience (especially with the full size slider door to the aft stateroom) but as it tends to add a more slender stern to the aft of the hull - it just seems to track so much better than I remember of any other vessels I have piloted.

Hell, if I can go through crab-pots in the Chesapeake with simple +1 or +2 on the Simrad Autopilot and she turns on a dime, that is my idea of tracking - not to mention how much better she seems to ride in a following sea like - I think I am in LOVE !!!!!

Hopefully my first 18 months will her will be the same as the next 18 years

Thanks again for all the feedback.

dcboater
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
dcboater wrote:
I'm attaching a few pics of her on the hard so you can see her keel - as stated before, she REALLY saved me and my crew in the roughest Gulf Crossing I've personally been through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean about a good keel and rough seas... our Sea Ranger can take a lot more than we can too! *Here a a few shots of our keel...
Attached Thumbnails
launch week 2009 028r.jpg   launch week 2009 032.jpg   launch week 2009 030.jpg