Helm Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTrader34

Looking to replace the hydraulics helm in my 1981 MT 34. Current one is a leaky Syten H-10 system. I believe I have found a SeaStar replacement combo but don't know if this is a good fit. Any advice welcome

Sounds like a big job. Are you sure you can install some new seals in the present system. I think they are mostly "O" rings.

pete

Looking to replace the hydraulics helm in my 1981 MT 34. Current one is a leaky Syten H-10 system. I believe I have found a SeaStar replacement combo but don't know if this is a good fit. Any advice welcome

I rebuilt mine this winter, it is pretty easy with the factory kits. Not sure what the Syten H-10 system is though, I have a Wagner helm pumps. For my helms the factory rebuilt kits include a gasket and all the o-rings for $50, so $100 for both helms, beats thousands to replace with new units. If you don't want to pull and rebuild them there are places that will do it for you.
I would research rebuilding before you replace.

SyTen was the Teleflex introductory model Sea Star system. This from the SeaStar site:

SeaStar Solutions

SYTEN HELMS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN 1978 – 1984, THESE HELM PUMPS ARE NOT FIELD REPAIRABLE. NO SEALS AVAILABLE

A Sea Star helm would be a direct replacement when selecting against the cylinder size and number of turns.

:socool:

SyTen was the Teleflex introductory model Sea Star system. This from the SeaStar site:

SeaStar Solutions

SYTEN HELMS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN 1978 – 1984, THESE HELM PUMPS ARE NOT FIELD REPAIRABLE. NO SEALS AVAILABLE

A Sea Star helm would be a direct replacement when selecting against the cylinder size and number of turns.

:socool:

Isn't that a convenient statement. I seriously doubt that they cannot be rebuilt.

They take the same stance on Uniflow valves in older Capilano systems too, but if you have the tenacity to work through it, a uniflow valve is certainly rebuildable and even repairable. I would wager the same can be said for a Syten H-10, even though I've never seen one.

Back
Top Bottom