Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Dan, yours should be a poster boat for why trawlers should go slow.

1.6 GPH @ 7.5knots gets you 15 nautical miles in two hours
2.1 GPH @ 8knots gets you 16 nautical miles in two hours
OR
18.1 GPH @ 17knots to get 17 nautical miles in an hour
Hey....17kts@18gph sounds fairly efficient to me!!!...and it is 17kts to go 34nautical miles in two hours. You must work in marketing or work for the media...
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...Sold
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #22
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Hey....17kts@18gph sounds fairly efficient to me!!!...and it is 17kts to go 34nautical miles in two hours. You must work in marketing or work for the media...

Yeah, really. I wish that were all I burned at 17 kts...
__________________

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #23
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Hey....17kts@18gph sounds fairly efficient to me!!!...and it is 17kts to go 34nautical miles in two hours. You must work in marketing or work for the media...
you must be confused.
In one hour 17 nautical miles using 18 gallons

but slow down and it takes you approx 2 hours to make the same distance using about 4 gallons.

That is using approx 14 gallons less to cover same distance going slower.
What did I miss?
__________________
SteveK
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #24
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
you must be confused.
In one hour 17 nautical miles using 18 gallons

but slow down and it takes you approx 2 hours to make the same distance using about 4 gallons.

That is using approx 14 gallons less to cover same distance going slower.
What did I miss?
What you missed is you said "it takes so and so amount to TWO HOURS"
ANd then you said "It takes so and so amount to go TWO HOURS"
ANd then you said "It takes so and so amount to go ONE HOUR"!!!!.....as if to magnify your point by your reduced comparison. Yes it is the same. But it reeks or a marketing gimick or something the media would do to amplify their point. And I was certainly just poking fun at you. So since you question me I will question you....why did you use only a one hour examply when you used two hour examples for the more efficient speeds?...
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...Sold
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #25
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What you missed is you said "it takes so and so amount to TWO HOURS"
ANd then you said "It takes so and so amount to go TWO HOURS"
ANd then you said "It takes so and so amount to go ONE HOUR"!!!!.....as if to magnify your point by your reduced comparison. Yes it is the same. But it reeks or a marketing gimick or something the media would do to amplify their point. And I was certainly just poking fun at you. So since you question me I will question you....why did you use only a one hour examply when you used two hour examples for the more efficient speeds?...
For convenience of course, to bring a fixed distance attainable in the shortest period of time as presented into a comparison of different velocities and comparative digestion of fluid volumes to attain that same fixed distance.
Now you can apply any constant to each scenario for greater coefficient.
__________________
SteveK
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,000
To be super accurate the measurements should all be taken in a 12 hr period of time, running each speed out and back..... and returning for refueling frequently to keep the fuel weight reasonable the same..... noting the tide for each run. BUT, who has the time and desire and wants to be that accurate.
I have always been stumped for why this is reported with the 12vt fridge running.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
To be super accurate the measurements should all be taken in a 12 hr period of time, running each speed out and back..... and returning for refueling frequently to keep the fuel weight reasonable the same..... noting the tide for each run. BUT, who has the time and desire and wants to be that accurate.
I have always been stumped for why this is reported with the 12vt fridge running.
You don't drink beer?
__________________
SteveK
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #28
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
You don't drink beer?
Maybe 2 beers each year but, dont get between me and my red wine or cognac.

Plus, I dont 'serve' while underway. If there is a casualty I dont need drunk help.
The bar will open upon returning to my slip and properly tied up or anchored for the night.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #29
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Maybe 2 beers each year but, dont get between me and my red wine or cognac.
I understand why you don't see the need to run the fridge.
__________________
SteveK
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #30
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 770
OCDiver says 1 gallon per 20 hp. Hmmm, I have to question that. Sounds way high. That would put my 36 TT with 120 F.L. at 6 gls per hour. I don't burn half that. In fact I burn between 2 and 3 per hour.

People sometimes look at me funny when I can't quote a litany of GPHs and MPGs or GPMs.
Seriously, who cares. A heavy season of cruising requires me to buy a few hundred gallons of diesel. A season filled with other commitments just saw me top off the tanks at the end of the season for storage.

The first few years I owned the boat I was very concerned that my fuel was getting old. I had spent a lot of time doing other projects than cruising.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #31
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
OCDiver says 1 gallon per 20 hp. Hmmm, I have to question that. Sounds way high. That would put my 36 TT with 120 F.L. at 6 gls per hour. I don't burn half that. In fact I burn between 2 and 3 per hour.

People sometimes look at me funny when I can't quote a litany of GPHs and MPGs or GPMs.
Seriously, who cares. A heavy season of cruising requires me to buy a few hundred gallons of diesel. A season filled with other commitments just saw me top off the tanks at the end of the season for storage.

The first few years I owned the boat I was very concerned that my fuel was getting old. I had spent a lot of time doing other projects than cruising.

pete
I think you missed the point. It doesnít mean your engines are developing 120hp ALL THE TIME!!! His point was if your 120hp Lehmanís are running at 50% then they are burning 3gph.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...Sold
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #32
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,471
Codger ll wrote;
“My max rpm is 3300 but I never push her that hard. (That would give me 22 knots”

HaHa ... You may like 22 knots. But you should do that once for several minutes every 2-3 months IMO. You won’t cause a bit of harm providing that’s your rated rpm.
Right after I bought Willy I ran her to the pin in a rather narrow channel. Found out the engine was overpropped. And then the engine quit. Got it going before we anchored. Was a fuel delivery problem. A problem like that rearing it’s head when you’re way out somewhere could be big trouble or dangerous. Just say’in......
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #33
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,633
Sweet spot at 1800 rpm with 6.3 knots using 1.7 gph:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CootintheDelta_zps438271b0.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	100692  
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #34
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5,000
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sweet spot at 1800 rpm with 6.3 knots using 1.7 gph:
Now that is a mighty fine bow wake
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #35
Member
 
City: Henderson, NC
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 10
Gph

Guess i need to get the graph paper out, a fixed course, a fuel dock, and a few different types of preferred beverages to have in hand while doing the calculations after we get docked. On several different days at several different speeds - maybe stop at end of day one with the beverages.
TWille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member
 
Beaverlake's Avatar
 
City: Sammamish
Country: US
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 77
I discovered a simple fuel burn correlation. Annual fuel burn is directly proportional to enjoyment. More fuel = more fun. (We Cruise at a nominal 7.5 knots with the occasional run up for the benefit of the turbos). Of all our annual boat related expenses fuel may not be the least, but it’s not near the top either. Taxes/fees/insurance, moorage, things that go bump on a 20 year old boat, etc are all up there.

That noted, with a cruise loaded boat, averaging PacNW current push/pull, 1450 rpm x twin Cummins 330s, the occasional high speed run, and generous generator time we’re averaging 5-5.5 gph total consumption. We’ve had as low as 4.5 (I did some great route planning and timing) and as high as 8+ (needed to run quickly across the Straits of Georgia along the way).
__________________

__________________
Patti & Gordon
Knot Home - 1998 Bayliner 4788
Anacortes WA
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×