Fuel leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sure thing

40 uropa mt we have a fule tank leak on port side i can't find it they are round tanks and look like new no rust at all to be seen only one fitting on bottom with Two plugs and one valve. The vent and fill fittings are on top of course. Could there be something else I'm not seeing Could there be another valve set somewhere on the outboard side. Any ideas yo check would be great I sure hate the idea of pulling the tank.

Always helpful to post pictures when seeking help on equipment problems.

It's worth examining the welds near where you think it might be leaking. Sometimes a poor weld can crack.

Ted

Get some of the blue paper towels and carpet the areas under the tank. The towels will change color when the fuel drips on them. Then you can get a clue where to start looking for the leak. It may run down the tank some but it is a place to start.

Last edited:
You can also cut paper towels into strips to use as telltales. Twist them into a string and tie them around every fuel line connector. The ones that turn pink (if that's your diesel color) show you the problem areas. Sometimes it's just a matter of tightening a fitting. Also works on hydraulic steering. I now tend to just leave them on. Looks a little weird in the engine room, but I prefer it to seeing a sheen on the bilgewater and not knowing where it came from.

Just since you said tank appears new. Check welds. Tank seam welds should have full penetration. Root fill pass and cap. Check baffles. If baffles appear just tack welded in 3 o r 4 places vs full circumference weld tank will flex, welds will crack. Beware of tanks fab where plates overlap and edge welded. If tank improperly made and not pressure tested (what does tank maker plate say?) you might have something more than fitting leak.

Well I finally cut the old round tanks out and installed new conventional style tanks. The round tanks where original and actually put in with no plan of replacement. The new shape let us use a smaller foot print. Nice to get it done. New generator and reinstall the ford lehman. I'm going to get on the cosmetics next. 4 years to retirement i should have her ship shape by then. lol atleast I will know everything in the boat when I'm finished.

Well I finally cut the old round tanks out and installed new conventional style tanks. The round tanks where original and actually put in with no plan of replacement. The new shape let us use a smaller foot print. Nice to get it done. New generator and reinstall the ford lehman. I'm going to get on the cosmetics next. 4 years to retirement i should have her ship shape by then. lol atleast I will know everything in the boat when I'm finished.
Excellent!

But we need pictures! I'd like to see what you have done, and maybe take some of your ideas and use them on my boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom