CHB- Bilge/Keel refinishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bernman

Vessel Make
CHB Tri-Cabin
Newly acquired 1983 - 34' CHB Tri-cabin. Cleaned mid section bilge area removed the skank under pump area along with superficial fiberglass found keel filler (concrete?) loose and crumbly. Removed down to solid and clean surfaces (all flaking material including; stones & bondo), area about 3 foot in length. Looking for best practice to fill and level the concrete surface voids (I'd say max 1" deep) then glass over to avoid layers where bilge skank can fester.

Have the issue of what leveling material use to concrete (cost & adhesion/ epoxy vs polyester) then top with glass (epoxy/polyester).
Open to suggestions!
Pic's on available on request.

Here is how I did the same project. Follow the link, lots of pics. This was a Hershine 37, 1980.

Saving Tortuga: Water in the keel

Yes the keel is filled with concrete, I used 20 gal of vinylester resin before it was all over.

Here is how I did the same project. Follow the link, lots of pics. This was a Hershine 37, 1980.

Saving Tortuga: Water in the keel

Yes the keel is filled with concrete, I used 20 gal of vinylester resin before it was all over.

wow that was a great labor intensive solution . I like the blog I will have to take the time to look through it good. have you stopped posting in it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom