Broken Hearted for a Marine Trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow... just simply, wow! You guys are absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for all of the candid, unfiltered feedback. Your passion for boating knows no limits!

My schedule over the last 10 days has been hectic so I finally found time to sit down in front of my computer and read through everything you all have said and I am disheartened; not by your comments, but by the appalling condition of the boat and the amount of work it looks like it will take to get her back into shape. Many of you have recommended that I run away from her while some of you have told me to go into this with my eyes open and that perhaps there may be something good to come out of it. I appreciate both viewpoints and still plan to get a professional opinion as to my best course of action. Now that I am back in the States, I am going to contact a shipwright in the local area and get an inspection. I will also contact a couple of marine surveyors for their ideas as well.

A few of you have expressed concerns regarding the black spots in the hull. I believe these to be deep chips in the fiberglass. When I was last on-site, I took a particular interest in these areas and poked around with my finger. They are not holes exactly, but have a substrate that to my untrained eye, seems to be another layer of a fiberglass-type material. I believe these may be cosmetic in nature but cannot say for certain.

Thank you again for all of your beneficial responses. I find this community to be incredibly active and a true resource for not only boat savvy sailors such as yourselves, but also the neophyte land lubbers like me. Thank you again and I will post once more as soon as I get this inspection completed. :)

Wow... just simply, wow! You guys are absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for all of the candid, unfiltered feedback. Your passion for boating knows no limits!

My schedule over the last 10 days has been hectic so I finally found time to sit down in front of my computer and read through everything you all have said and I am disheartened; not by your comments, but by the appalling condition of the boat and the amount of work it looks like it will take to get her back into shape. Many of you have recommended that I run away from her while some of you have told me to go into this with my eyes open and that perhaps there may be something good to come out of it. I appreciate both viewpoints and still plan to get a professional opinion as to my best course of action. Now that I am back in the States, I am going to contact a shipwright in the local area and get an inspection. I will also contact a couple of marine surveyors for their ideas as well.

A few of you have expressed concerns regarding the black spots in the hull. I believe these to be deep chips in the fiberglass. When I was last on-site, I took a particular interest in these areas and poked around with my finger. They are not holes exactly, but have a substrate that to my untrained eye, seems to be another layer of a fiberglass-type material. I believe these may be cosmetic in nature but cannot say for certain.

Thank you again for all of your beneficial responses. I find this community to be incredibly active and a true resource for not only boat savvy sailors such as yourselves, but also the neophyte land lubbers like me. Thank you again and I will post once more as soon as I get this inspection completed. :)

Tb - Man o' man... Am I ever glad to hear from you... to see that you are sticking with this and viewing things with clear eyes. Soooo much looking forward to read your reports on what you find from here on!

Best Luck! Buddy

PS: Any questions you run into can always be addressed on this thread. We ol' salts, many having decades cumulative experience, really like to help newbies, oldbies and anybies of persons interested in marine life/boating!!

I have seen that boat it was close to mine when I did my bottom job .I tried to read the number on the sign but was afraid to board it . a buddy was looking for one. had no idea the inside was so bad . water may have came in the front windows I remember them looking rough . could of sank on land as they say . at least it has a thruster . my boat only surveyed for around 30 when nothing worked on it .

Marine trader trawler 2009 info???

After 70+ years of wonderful sailing, I'm now considering switching to a trawler. And, I'm considering a like-new 2009 Marine Trader trawler (36/40 feet), only a few of which were manufactured after the Great Recession. Does anyone have any idea of what these trawlers sold for a new? Or, where I might look to find this kind of info? I've Googled the heck out of it with no success. Thanks so much.

After 70+ years of wonderful sailing, I'm now considering switching to a trawler. And, I'm considering a like-new 2009 Marine Trader trawler (36/40 feet), only a few of which were manufactured after the Great Recession. Does anyone have any idea of what these trawlers sold for a new? Or, where I might look to find this kind of info? I've Googled the heck out of it with no success. Thanks so much.

Is this the one in White Stone, VA?

I think you can overlook a lot of the potential problem areas. The F.L. will run again without any major work, the interior woodwork is pretty easy to refinish, painted areas also. But...

If you can poke your finger into those holes in the bow, Serious problems!, Then don't forget those fuel tanks, very expensive to fix.

We are glad you are still with us but if you travel a lot most of the work will have to be hired out. VERY expensive.

If you are intent on being a trawler owner, there are lots of cheaper, better routes to take.

Good Luck, keep us in the loop.

pete

HI: I just sold my 1977 MT 40DC. I got her when PO let it get so bad he donated it...
Interior was not as bad as yours but exterior was worse. Check out the (after) pictures in my ad on Trawler Forum link below...We had fun with the renovation and got 8 years of enjoyment using her. It can be done but it's not for the faint of heart or wallet...

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s69/1977-marine-trader-calypso-47898.html

If your married and have kids they should be part of the decision on this. Getting a trawler can be a life changing event. It's definately a relationship, for better or worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom