Air conditioning anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Humidity does make a world of difference, when temperature is above 70F or thereabouts.

If I was to install an A/C it would be an evaporative unit, given that our humidity is normally <30% on the days when the temperature is high. This type of system would not work for most boaters in other areas as there humidity is above 50%. Where humidity is low, just being on the water, the temperature is often much lower the the temperature on nearby land.

My point exactly....heat index snd direct sun all play into comfort...a lot of discussion thete with only part of the equation being mentioned.

I have a Taiwanese trawler without air conditioning and have enjoyed it for these 25 years. But this is about to end as I am putting a/c into her this winter. All those years swinging on a mooring were wonderful. Every night just open all the windows and let the breezes blow through. If it got too hot, jump off the swim platform and go swimming. Live was good.

Now we are in a slip: no breezes, no open windows, no privacy. There are other amenities like unlimited 120v, unlimited fresh water and no unloading the dinghy. It's time for a/c to make this boat a home. No need to fear July and August in south Jersey.

I got so desperate this summer that I bought one of those self-contained a/c units. It worked great at home but was useless on the boat. Maybe not completely useless. It did reduce the humidity to tolerable levels but the temp never got below 90. 90 is too many of anything especially degrees.

By September you can't remember why you ever wanted a/c. But I won't be fooled again.

I have a Hershine 37. I installed two 12K Webasto units under the settee in the main cabin. There are two zones. One unit has a vent in the vee birth and one in the main cabin, the other unit has one in the main cabin and one in the aft cabin. ao far they work great and quiet in sleeping areas. I do miss the storage space lost but the AC/heat works great. The square footage formula suggested I needed 24 K and the units seem to cycle about right.

Running 3 units in zones could not live comfortably full time 24/7 without it.a must for us.

I have a Cruisair unit . It is in the engine room . The Blower is in a top cupboard at the head of the stairs. It blows air into the main stateroom aft and into the salon from that location. I can post pics if you like.

I have a Cruisair unit . It is in the engine room . The Blower is in a top cupboard at the head of the stairs. It blows air into the main stateroom aft and into the salon from that location. I can post pics if you like.

Thanks all. Spirited to say the least. When I posted this last year, we were having a hum dickens of an August. The wife made outside sun/UV blocker shades and that helped... but when there is no breeze, we were miserable. We brought a single room stand up from home to try. It worked, set it up in the salon, but it was big and noisy and won't do it again. This year we only had 1 or 2 bad days and we suffered through it.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom