34DC fuel tank replacement. Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a 34DC Marine Trader which I think is the same set up as you have. We had to remove the tanks two years ago, 150 gal each. We started trying to cut them out with a sawzall but wasn’t working, would have taken forever. Luckily my stepson does a lot of work on cars and came over with a plasma cutter. Cut through those tanks in a few hours. A lot of people advised me not to pull the engine to put in new tanks, I knew I would have to settle for smaller tanks but figured I would never have to worry about old fuel. The yard made mockups of tanks to see how big we could fit. They gave me the dimensions and I had a fabricator make the tanks for me. We ended up with 67 gal on each side The biggest expense was having the yard install them, new tanks, all new hoses and valves. They did an excellent job and took about one week. Was very pleased with the work even though we saved money on removing the old tanks and getting the tanks the installation did cost.Probably could have installed the tanks ourselves but decided not to.

Do you happen to have any pics?
I'd be interested in the dimensions if you happened to know.

Cost of aluminum is keeping me from custom fabrication.

Thanks for your experiences.

Charlie Iv'e done what you are planning to do. I'm pretty sure the plastic
tanks I used are 12'' wide 24" high and 48" long. 50 gal. per tank. I put 2 on each side. I used a Sawzall, short blades all the cutting is close to the head. [ ear protection]

Charlie Iv'e done what you are planning to do. I'm pretty sure the plastic
tanks I used are 12'' wide 24" high and 48" long. 50 gal. per tank. I put 2 on each side. I used a Sawzall, short blades all the cutting is close to the head. [ ear protection]
Where did you get them from?

max1 tempo 50 gal tank Boat US along time ago

Yo,
Thanks I just did a search and found some on ebay, NOS. If it works it's even close enough for me to pick up. I asked if he happened to have 2.

Just adding to my list of possibilities.

CharlieO. my tanks went down and thru the front hatch in the galley

Is this the tank that is being discussed? It used to be available direct from Moeller.

Nick

Attachments

• Moeller 032550 50 gal tank.JPG
    Moeller 032550 50 gal tank.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 10
Nick that one is very similar in dimensions but if you look up the plastic Tempo tank on eBay I believe is the tank that was used by YO.

CharlieO. yes the tanks went straight down thru the hatch, I'm in the engine room [single engine] slid, push, pulled the tank around and placed on shelf where old steel 150 gal tank was. I placed mine so that fuel fill hoses would be close together when both tanks were installed. If you go this route make sure to run your vent lines in first.

37 gallon tank. 1.5 gallons per hour. 24.6 hours run time equals 3 days of cruising.

One could get you home. Two would get you home in style. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Al, I was just looking to see if there was a reason that these would not work. I am going to order them and keep moving forward on my project.

Tanks

Hi Charlie

This is what I used for the tanks up against the hull:

https://www.moellermarine.com/moell...eck-boat-fuel-tank-port-side-withdraw-032524/

This is what I used for the tanks that sit next to them

https://www.moellermarine.com/moell...n-permanent-below-deck-boat-fuel-tank-032627/

With the Moeller tanks you swap out the fuel sender for one that has a return line. Both of these tanks are easy to maneuver in the engine room.

I suspect the tank you are looking at is a Moeller tank...

It is very easy to adapt the fuel feed/return line to 1/4" A1 fuel hose, the brass adapter for the fuel pump is a couple of bucks at any hardware store, the metal return line can just be pushed inside the hose. With the standard fuel pump the first prime takes a while...

Last edited:
Charlie -

I would give preference to Moeller tanks. There are plenty of comments on the various sites about the superior quality of the Moeller tanks. I would also prefer a tank with a flat bottom for easier support.

Another consideration would be to choose tanks that can also be part of the final (increased capacity) solution. Perhaps a single cube shaped tank for now that can have another one added next to it later (each side).

Hi Nick,
Moeller was top of my list for plastic tanks but I could not find anyone that had a ready to ship one. These ones say they'll be on my doorstep Friday. The narrower bottom isn't ideal but I'm confident I can build a nice saddle/cradle and they will be absolutely secure when I'm done. One benefit of the narrower bottom is I will have more useable fuel capacity, the last few gallons won't be spread across a long flat bottom. Not that I ever want to run that low. If I can get two trouble free years from my fuel system I'll be satisfied. At that time I'll be ready for more capacity, either move the engine for larger tanks or add a couple more.

I absolutely appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge and taking their time to post. I've read each post. For this project I took into consideration::
Time
Ease of installation
Benefit
Cost
Pretty much in that order of priority

We are hoping to be back in the water mid March, following bottom paint for an April 1st departure.
We work fulltime and the boat is about 3 1\2 hrs away and the marina doesn't allow boat work on the weekends.

Thanks everyone, stay tuned for updates.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie for this great post. It seems we are on similar tracks on several items. Currently looking at the Moeller 58, 70 and 76 gal but also checking useable space... I saw in several distributors that the factory is making these to order, hence the long lead time. Will look for your updates!

Yes, that is why we went for an alternative that was in stock. I actually ordered the two tanks on Sunday and received them on Thursday(yesterday) , I wasn't happy with the fit and finish on one of the tanks so they shipped me a replacement today after I dropped off the other one for return to fed ex.

On to my bilge project next then start the tank removal and replacement process.

I have a sister ship to Cape Fear, but took a different fix when the port tank started weeping. I pumped the tank empty using my fuel polishing system to transfer to the starboard tank, then called a fixit guy whose only business is relining fuel tanks. Two guys showed up and cut three 8 inch inspection holes in the tank. They pumped out the remaining diesel (mostly goop), pressure washed the insides and checked for tank integrity. That took a couple hours and, had they found the tank couldn't be repaired, I would have been out $500 and looking at a much more difficult, expensive, and time consuming project (like those outlined in this thread).

I had some pitting in the very bottom of the tank, but the rest was almost pristine (much like Cape Fear's pictures of his removed tank). My tank was then lined with an epoxy mostly used to reline aviation fuel tanks. Took one day, cost $2,800, and I still have full capacity in the tank (+100 gallons). No engine removal, fuel line refitting, earplugs, cleanup, etc. I just watched and gabbed. I would gladly do it again and probably should for the other tank.

Attachments

• 100_1535.jpg
    100_1535.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1497.jpg
    100_1497.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1518.jpg
    100_1518.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 8
Diesel Tank Return Line

I am on similar path as CharlieO (in progress) and SeaMoose (completed) having resourced a suitable 58 Gal. Moeller tank from West Marine (they have another one in Key West BTW...). Charlie, would have offered your way but I just found this tank and you are currently in possession of your solution tanks.

I understand that the Moeller tanks offer a modified fuel level sender that includes an additional fitting for the return but my question is: Does each fuel tank need a return line or does it suffice that the engine return line (I assume single) is plumbed to allow fuel return to at least one of the available tanks?

Apologies for what is possibly a pretty basic question but still working on understanding the modified fuel line routing from two owners back.... stbd side tank had been replaced with "piggybacked" tanks with questionable plumbing and not a return line to be seen hence it (diesel return) may be just to the side I am pulling.... thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks Patience, I know my tanks and solution I'm doing now aren't my final solution but will allow me to open up my engine room to clean and rewire, replumb as needed and clean it while having adequate tankage to enjoy the boat for the next couple seasons. Those big old tanks take up a lot of room.

I would opt for a return on each tank to give me more flexibility on where to direct it. You don't want to return to a full tank unless you are using that tank. Look forward to seeing how your project comes along.

Here they are dropped through the hatch.

Attachments

• BA5A93F0-66AD-47AE-83E4-9AABE1D5EE4B.jpg
    BA5A93F0-66AD-47AE-83E4-9AABE1D5EE4B.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BD983603-1A2E-4BB9-AD8F-A26D5FA6525F.jpg
    BD983603-1A2E-4BB9-AD8F-A26D5FA6525F.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
  • F9CF6E90-98B3-4E4B-8AB1-F68B50EE261E.jpg
    F9CF6E90-98B3-4E4B-8AB1-F68B50EE261E.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 7
  • 791024F0-4484-4521-A7C6-D041ED38FA55.jpg
    791024F0-4484-4521-A7C6-D041ED38FA55.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 7
@GB32Patience: If you're using the Moeller tanks, all the fittings are on the top of the tank, so I would run a return line to each tank and setup a manifold for both suction and return.

For a few more dollars you can eliminate the mechanical fuel pump (I used a Wahlbro FRB) add an extra valve on the return, and have the ability to move fuel from tank to tank, or run the fuel in one tank through the filter over and over. It also makes bleeding the engine, or changing the filters a snap. PM me for pictures of my setup if interested.

@SeaMoose: Yep, just picked up my 58 Gal Moeller this afternoon. Thanks for the config support offer. I need to diagram out my entire fuel system then will bounce around and reach out for your diagram/system as now is the time to upgrade. I'm sure @CharlieO will appreciate the input as well.

Seamoose, I'd be interested in your fuel plumbing setup. I only have to two tanks now and wanted to incorporate a electric fuel pump to move fuel around or filter if needed, with the possibility of adding a third tank in the future.

Thanks for the pics, I may add the 12v pump once I'm satisfied with my tankage.

Question on my part, would it be a bad idea to feed the Racor with 5/8 line from the tank? I haven't verified what size fuel line goes from the Racor to the engine.

Thanks

Charlie - in my opinion the use of a relatively large line size between tank and primary filters (Racor in your case) is good (but, see proviso below). From the Racor to the engine the flow is filtered and is very slow flow. Even a 1/4" line would be adequate, although typical practice is a 5/16" or 3/8" line.

Note, however, that running a 5/8" internal diameter line from tank to Racor only makes sense if all the fittings (from inside the tank to right into the filter bowl) are of similar internal passage size. If you have, say, a 1/4" NPT connection at the Racor it is pointless running 5/8" line.

What is the bore of the pickup tube on the tank? There is nothing to gain by using hose with a bore greater than the pickup internal diameter.

Regards,
Nick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom