1979 marine trader veneer type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flydiver

Vessel Name
Fahrfrumwurken
Vessel Make
1979 44 ft marine trader dc
hello I have a 1979 marine trader dc. of course my windows have leaked and have discolored the wood. I do not want to paint I would like to reveneer. but do not know what wood they used. thank you in advance

gary

Greetings,
Mr. f. Any wood/veneer I've ever seen on any Taiwanese boat has always been teak. This only applies to visible/cosmetic woods NOT structural members.

hello I have a 1979 marine trader dc. of course my windows have leaked and have discolored the wood. I do not want to paint I would like to reveneer. but do not know what wood they used. thank you in advance

gary

Teak.

Last boat I had also had leaking windows that created a streaked teak issue as you are noting. After fixing the leaks, we cleaned the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, then applied a few coats of Howard's Feed-N-Wax. The Feed-N-Wax absorbed nicely into the wood and the streaks went away. Although a few really light bleached areas needed three coats to get it correct. This is a WHOLE lot easier than covering the wood with new veneer if it is just water streaked.

This is the stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B001BKQYGW

I can pick it up at local hardware and grocery stores in Washington and Oregon. Not sure how easy it will be to get in MD. If you have a Kroger Grocery Store around your area, they most like will stock it in the wood cleaning area of the store (by the Murphy's Oil Soap)

ok thank you for the help in the teak veneer now I need to narrow down as to what type of teak. there are many different cuts and styles. I will try the stain and wax but I may have to replace in 2 spots. the core is good just surface is discolored.
gary

Last boat I had also had leaking windows that created a streaked teak issue as you are noting. After fixing the leaks, we cleaned the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, then applied a few coats of Howard's Feed-N-Wax. The Feed-N-Wax absorbed nicely into the wood and the streaks went away. Although a few really light bleached areas needed three coats to get it correct. This is a WHOLE lot easier than covering the wood with new veneer if it is just water streaked.

This is the stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B001BKQYGW

I can pick it up at local hardware and grocery stores in Washington and Oregon. Not sure how easy it will be to get in MD. If you have a Kroger Grocery Store around your area, they most like will stock it in the wood cleaning area of the store (by the Murphy's Oil Soap)

I would like to thank you very much for this information. Bought a bottle of it and tried it.............Tis a miracle, we have always use Orange Glo but this stuff makes it look sick. It did not remove all evidence of water damage but boy it looks great! Now about 3 days to do all the interior teak, oh well just need to stock up on Rum. This stuff is GREAT!.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I got the tip online also, glad passing it alonghelped. We just finished our new to us trawler this week also.

By the way, if you let the Howard's Feed-N-Wax soak in a week or so and put on another coat on the water stained areas, you will find they blend in much better and may disappear all together.

If you have to replace the teak you are in for a real trial. The teak panel they sell at marine stores is much darker and in the wrong orientation. When I rebuilt my aft cabin walls I had to account for the extra thickness, slice and glue the panel together so the grain matched the existing walls, bleach and stain the teak to be as close as possible to the existing teak. Next time I will just paint it white. Pray the Feed-and-wax works as long as possible.

Great suggestion. For a new-to-me MT, I was looking for some advise to keep the wood in the great shape that it is now. Sound like the way to go.

For small areas I used some artist's oil paints and a couple of quality, fine tip brushes to recreate a faux grain. Sealed with Minwax hand rubbed polyurethane. Undetectable to a casual observer.

Back
Top Bottom