1976 Marine Trader 36 Europa Sedan project boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well folks, the dash was one of those projects that I attacked without taking any more pictures.
I drilled the holes and mounted the gauges before I knew it.

I also purchased a USB charge port after the fact and decided to mount it up high. I realised that my tablet will be running Navionics and I don't want to be running around looking for a charger if the tablet battery runs low. This way I can plug it in and have it on the top of the dash right where the charge-port will be.

I want to stain the wood to make it more teak-like.
Staining and varnish will have to wait until spring when I can get into the garage. Darn that parrot!! :|

Daylight
AM-JKLXK213eqx9-FlYsMUvTpWtJAeWGtUMNG6xYlhlY0bdO_fxhcrOC4sWppd4B_FoGlT58lMQ86ZAzE220RNlEZbxj_4nU7zXpRI1ExRRjWoJooKG3qUKlaURUhDsrqKEmwafx20W5vFwtPfG7fRzwTfHV=w1000-h339-no

Sorta-dark
AM-JKLXgQS2aYQbUBCsZ402xkmzZ1_GHfl6Ct1syjZv69OJLJ_Pb5fbnzhDEcsgEePBnjpurBx0IHXKGSjKzUXg8SWR1UV2Sf5iVsgM3dxNYdczCtw7RIrhF0xSAG5qxPjtj7vRPWhGF8JyNgjyGKCC51Sya=w1000-h324-no

Total dark(-ish....)
AM-JKLXeqzhfi-hwBWLxKbfXCABxF5xmtyIruz5W14_uTxPNYaK4_zlCuLcC04VZ26ghCFc36QMA5n1aizl497AUcz0fVjQtXF02F66704qbTzmEUxz4UEAGde8Wv7ZhljxRoX_2YNnwkdT37BigRw4xJbX9=w1000-h422-no

Mmmm........ Max is happy

Staining and varnish will have to wait until spring when I can get into the garage. Darn that parrot!! :|

Here is the reason why we cant stain or have any solvents in the house... Bugger!

AM-JKLWRMJbFetd0cLh2MZ9Lyb_ftRivvt3x3nVj00vuATOUsbAsgPiq288DPzMGLrid441S7imQv0k_qP3kh98Vep8ptPlp_FJZIbssTKQETewe01IzrN8IrYFs_B5YKBRDg71RdC0TruhGJlmVRatI3UxU=w1000-h638-no

The dining area will be a major facelift for us. Right now there is only a desk, and its useless and it looks like crap. On the far left of the photo where the large blue cabinet is, there is a hot water tank in there. We plan to locate the hot water tank in the engine compartment where it belongs and get rid of the desk this will open up the area for a proper dining area.

AM-JKLWZsN98b7-DD5JGgkjY-5P2rZR8fyTXzv700PiaP59axHZ2rka7YFlW92etiHYUgfnUvpptiHwttqcYIrJnNGJVVFINKnGOJxYacDKfeSMAYSv4Ro0jnO7s3YtDXa-LpLVhoMaAoidCWcpohuDNx3I5=w1200-h900-no

In our trailer, we have a dining area that is just the right size. We figured it would fit nicely into the spot where the desk/hot water tank is.
Here is a photo of the set-up that is in our trailer:
AM-JKLXDUQTqneNnw9Ez-PL2rzZqnyVfR-y7b1zQB86aTIqUOfHHQxdSJsVNNow-ATQVDVl7f_ndvsTMzhCsLaZOr9r855RhwJs9SOkbhQNW9jnB17an6d_7cMxjwe4Q4KOgXzf95zsBIBeSOGp6NoL6y4eS=w640-h480-no

The bench and table depth for the dining area in our trailer is 28". The boat can be up to 36" deep.

When we looked at the boat in the spring, we noticed that a folding table had been screwed to the railing at the stern of the boat and it was weatherbeaten! Poor thing. I guess the PO was using it as a BBQ stand. Here are some photos where we were able to capture of the table as it was when we first looked at the boat. Pardon the mess- that is how it was when we first saw it, it looks much better now :)

AM-JKLXTtIcIuyicXZij4aXlFBIH0_EpzdC9vHiWCNmWYT9StE8YvqiDrTHdUeQd5Y_ZrljHnoiQbxuq46ji52mS8zbHyaZ52Ayl3GMvZUqMOdIV5mp3VY-ukINzVYAoQ9GFZMEwdFU_tCx68PvLEqD_TZ9q=w1000-h563-no

AM-JKLVrdzPmoUMC9MQhIH8adYfwZQYf5QFDrhAsqVLg-I-JHNqH2G3k4SYywDKa2VGkGh6jC9Cl3CF_ymc6-L8DmloNbwQz19o0Iy_Km8GzcDg3OIlcAw-QAm8PO5gWOiigkbqRvtJCbkBdfZYBIDHhmWN5=w1000-h781-no

Now to me it was trash, and I would be happy to just make a new table from salvaged material from Re-Store. But the Admiral likes to refurbish and she insisted I can refinish it. So we removed it from the boat and brought it home last fall.

Using the trailer dining area as a template, and the folding table we brought home, I came up with a concept sketch for the construction of the dining area.

AM-JKLVzBMRbyikDPf1i7j09WpjPQN3Jm0t7mTo0n8BQsYYlwbGYMHCo5y9ibmlCCKAB5F9e9pqXvi4FE2aLiR5O6yo-2K04VWtqz6BqC5kAq0R2v0ecP7GSBRNQaB-zj_89hsIQbHveQB0pqQ3yzK1eALGt=w736-h952-no

We haven't decided what to do about the under-seat storage. In our trailer, you have to remove the cushions and the wood panel that is the seat-top to get to the storage under the seat. Real pain in the butt. We would like to have slide-boxes that we can pull out. Either from the side or from under the table. Have not decided on that yet, but you can imagine how it would look from the concept sketch.

Last edited:
Wow. Good for the pair of you! Having lived in trailers and found they really have space utilized efficiently and attractively, and lived 6 yrs on my own &7 a number more on others on a boat in boatyards, I did wish they could have made boat layouts more like trailers! All the best in

Wow. Good for the pair of you! Having lived in trailers and found they really have space utilized efficiently and attractively, and lived 6 yrs on my own &7 a number more on others on a boat in boatyards, I did wish they could have made boat layouts more like trailers! All the best in
Thank you, Carolyn. :)
We hope to make this boat our "trailer on the water"

Well, I did it again.
I did not take any "Before" pictures of the table restoration.

The table that we salvaged from the boat was screwed to the gunwhale and left exposed to the environment. The table top that was facing "up" was weather-beaten and suffered from exposure and delamination of the teak veneer. It could not be saved.

I thought I could flip it over and use the bottom-for-the-top and the top-for-the-bottom, but although the bottom side was in better shape, it had too many marks and holes all over it to be made into a top.

So I decided to just re-skin the top.

I routed off the top, and found that the table was not solid but a hollow frame with teak skins on it. I routed off the top skin right to the frame and went to the hardware store to find a suitable 3/16" skin. There wasn't much choice. We found a reddish coloured ply and decided to use it.

Cut to size and glued on
All 3 pieces to make the folding table:
AM-JKLW2xhyD6GZRGfffjCkR_Tl2H50TBPS1YUPHDDiC4CU5SyeWYWWfrPewLjYYrfBpCCH5TVyRd4oXn93tT6cWzb5npeJTRNjkSO7jU79xQon5DI8qq473HL3tgvzIVk58-B_6vKvhX6SA8YMzrxfmYS1O=w800-h517-no

Then the edges routed.
AM-JKLXHazZkhOCMnSPWGEAfBetGnC7-fW6kK_9Gh3r7_O12hf8JZfkAhAvMiuerbOYTSaUuLB3JFfxqpjMUnQ9a_o0hhqm9BVFK1SZOFEbwMFzROxmr1vQMoH3Wmx9SVou3sduQHlEFlYOeyENhpJs3T9x8=w1422-h800-no

Not bad. I hope it looks even better once I get a chance to varnish it.
AM-JKLVShvv4ZJ6VolC1Cy1OLgR4pwXXZs11bR2ye-Z5XVKgL0R8AZfNdNIisvSvMFjlmeZlsAJ8uvA59unGl6pTWET8oLPuM7HVqRsWmw2te_tAIknxlQMGTguzDPuDppvLS3B7rlYpIrb_oTH2sfrrJaca=w1206-h800-no

Also noticed that the routed edges look too white.

I stained one and took a picture to show before and after, then did the second.
The "before" is on the top and the "after" is on the bottom.
AM-JKLUXPMcsvAQ6zd77LB9e3lFF7Uujy4KKSs7ZLIw-_nGCHFTC-6fuJoM5FhrpuMxuNxENiSQTZktoLzrslgpJFB3YQ0AzITj0Xv6E-4_n3aq7QWT2SedHiB8WUYqdnSHFc1AueeDwDXMmKyGzuOAvepdt=w800-h450-no

Last edited:
I hate this winter weather we have here.
Last week we had a nice thaw and the bulk of the snowbanks on either side of our driveways in my neigborhood melted away. I was thinking if it warms up just a bit more, I can start working in the garage and get some of the woodwork done.

Today it was snowing again!! Dang. I sure am getting tired of winter.
Hey, April arrives on Friday!! Woot woot!

Meanwhile, the admiral has been at work.
She made new curtains for the boat. Now personally, I didn't mind the existing curtains, but, its HER boat (so she tells me). And she wanted them to be blackout-curtains as well so that the cabin can be nice and dark.

Here are the old curtains
AM-JKLW4Kxi6KNI25ueDpumf6aYAu1c0v-yjEE-1bQbi00i_gnCNOf_ZQJji-XBc0X9SvMcNKCQYdeT34nVMlUr56yYuUmMFs_4nTMcS8R5YShfkJl0DjQB_cJ3nukkDPZ6mgD80DXEN-53E7pg47K4oQxTo=w1000-h644-no

Curtain loops were made first
AM-JKLWK3kRnIlXahDnB3j1qwife-KKFi5KRGnKf8GNPHxSNmuwh9Puak-tob9YFhV2RawLVmN7EOFKR5LACl1Wk4i1AXxy1yFrju9-80HPMsZ8ZluCqcc1msA8vN2U-qYwIXCFN2AkMwTU7n_gvMnxLUuve=w1000-h563-no

Loops ready to be stitched to new curtain materials
AM-JKLU52w6tLgpL85MWokOmP64Ca1RhRhsvOxsdq30jGAUq_ZDCCTxRYYdwMw3PBb-nr0ppx6WwNb0JCBLdgXMpQ1LhkJUnz_cvcj6FC_3eKnR8mrEEzK73zfHPvpMSuLYSYnp26lMqlk-HKb7PMGpFbw-C=w1000-h563-no

Well, where has the summer gone?
I guess its time for an update.

My wife and I got to the boat yard to work on it in the first week of May this year and worked sun-up to sun-down nonstop, only stopping during the week-days for work (my job) and coming home for family events. Have only been home a couple of days total this summer.
We did a LOT of work, some was planned, some unplanned that we discovered as we did other work and uncovered unforeseen problems.

I have not had time to post while working on the boat, but I took lots of pictures ;).

Maybe this winter I will do some catch-up posting of all the work we did.

On July 19 she went in the water :) :). It was a very fulfilling moment.
She was no-where near done, but I wanted it in the water to at least get some enjoyment out of it.

We did more work on it while it was in the water, though at a MUCH slower rate. We are too busy having fun to work on the boat full time while its in the water.

We have LOTS more work to do on it, but for now we've had a ton of fun using it. :smitten:

AL9nZEV2vN0FaOAj55MHhQ6g3-8666f6GhYPC8l3BBPIF-whUMCFWPzuMNMAxAR1wc3V3VkPi1FYQPAJL_6h3unzyaGP93AtUKF7Olom-38rEieLEL1dSoXxTSbKwkc21Eci346lnaaby3RAz7AUWk87I1M1=w1269-h952-no

AL9nZEWY4yRV4eEQvXmVmjIKuNO_sltv5OU11siUplXW1eC-zzeAAyvpSVcnD5mjVusBNwutnoE2zwMk4m5dfAv4M08XkEnHVPd1w_aPuEc-ydEspM3eRUiy9m-_OkpmkQgRUQHf-UxKhru-6FgJwsUkaYcN=w1353-h952-no

AL9nZEVEADvWiIWC5VgGqIRk5DEZy9ojhpExXIz6YDPYlJwzdc23wSYRzmnVVLkXn8zKcHgUk05jqH2e7-9UV1EX0gNelhTG1rldSLvLuWP28QCAOKs9jAzn3nfWPYOQEFY4oWfh6NREfUl3wY6iMzeQ4VYL=w1500-h917-no

AL9nZEU_VXKgy2nQNZllO-y6Rde25GyDeF-yCow4G8BVsK95cR7CNVtxtRKhVHLpabD-2xUI6lpqkLx-HJYQRLz8Tz5tlXQcrq1Rvjt-fI7Ro7hTymRqONXkLf2dBHEyZoVFFi9Fbr5WEoUSOuLmGRZmmhMO=w1269-h952-no

Seas are building rapidly; take it back to the marina and get back to work.

It's important to go out and play with it, to keep you motivated to finish. Besides, nothing like using it.....to find more projects. :facepalm:

Ted

Looks great, glad you had a chance to use it some.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. M. Toronto? You're good in the water until mid November (perhaps) and the work will still be there for your winters pleasure. Enjoy. Fall in Ontario is one of our favorite times. Bugs and "tourists" gone and GREAT days.
Edit: Maybe even snow. Careful of slippery decks. Don't ask how I know...

iu

Last edited:
That’s great, I was actually wondering a while ago how your project was. I look forward to learning about your projects.

It's catch up time.
We did a lot of work this summer and I haven't been posting. I think many can relate to "I didn't have the time....":hide:

So what do you guys think? Should I just show one "before" and one "after"? or should I post a string of "before-during and after's"? Do you want the whole story of each improvement or just a quick note? I've got all winter.... This winter business sucks. I'm already going stir crazy, so I will (maybe?) have lots of time.

I told my wife: "Do you know why this winter will be tougher than last winter?"....

... It's because we bought this project boat last fall and we spent all last winter imagining how great it would be to spend the summer living on a boat. I imagined hot afternoons on the boat anchored in a cove, taking a dip when I got too hot. I imagined water calm as glass and watching beautiful sunsets. I imagined going on journeys with the boat, exploring waterways and waking up to new and beautiful sights. I imagined having family come for a visit and taking them out on my boat, spending a few days with them, gabbing, swimming, BBQ-ing and enjoying boating life. I imagined enjoying every day living on the water and spending all this time with my beautiful wife.
Yes, I know it was a lot to ask for, and last winter I had to tell myself more than once: "You are too optimistic. There is no way it will be this good. Things will go wrong and your summer will be ruined by this money pit....Stop dreaming...."

Well.
Now that the boat is put away for the winter, I can emphatically state that ALL my dreams and imaginings about living on a boat in the summer CAME TRUE. :)
All of them. We had such an amazing summer. True, we did launch late due to the overwhelming amount of work we had to do in the spring, but we still had an amazing first summer. We did so many trips (albeit short ones due to us still getting used to this boat and getting to know her) but they were all immensely satisfying. We did do one long trip at the end of the season where we had a couple of engine issues, but nothing we could not handle.

So- with that little background, do you want to know why I told my wife: "Do you know why this winter will be tougher than last winter?"....

Its because last winter we imagined WHAT A GREAT SUMMER WE COULD have...
This winter, we will spend all winter REMINISCING about what an AMAZING SUMMER we HAD!!! ;)

Its going to be a long winter.......:ermm:

Thats great Max. Show as many before and after pictures as you can. And some of you guys using the boat too. Glad its all working out for you.

Another catch-up and then picture time!

Seems i'm always giving u guys a catch-up since I've been disappearing for long periods lately.
  • Last spring-summer we were insanely busy with prepping Bermuda Belle for launch doing lots of work on her. The after we launched, we spent practically all summer on her. Between working remotely and being on the Belle, no time for Forums. :angel:
  • After haul-out it was winterising and wrapping, then a major work deadline had to be dealt with that kept me busy 24/7 right into December...
  • In December I had to deal with my dad's estate. It had to be completely vacated by new-years. My wife and I would work all day, then over to dad's to dumpster, sell or donate everything in the house all night. We had to clean, wash, wipe, polish, scrape, paint and sand/varnish practically everything. Then we would go home, sleep and start our day all over again. Repeat, repeat, repeat....:eek:
  • Then after new year's we took our first "Fly-Away" vacation since the covid travel restrictions were put in place in March 2020. It was good to finally get some beach, sun and vitamin D in the dead of winter!
AMWts8CCs37OuZ0bRdB3GQTpML5M9PxMG0KpTEjCv-0ydFWkbF8jdfvnfLJOt6hPn3ruLzpAR08dQChbpZlAt8RjaHSLLYc3UYNQJ_JJ8J-hsSSGL13_O-a3xgJeT2xVpTfwNUv8_KWwz0nbjY1FoESPaDe6=w1500-h844-s-no

And now.... I finally have some "me" time....

Last edited:
I guess I'll start with the dash.

Here's how it looked when we got the boat:
AMWts8B3ksrck0_QkpZ6QDzh7suXQv4WNrUsw6lERhMpCVMptKqHQaaO2KOkUlLMyGA_Y9aOozPK8MAdBMU7PfeEGY93WnlQxYJqQMAEirdLskC8nMSIpytq_BaVke6DI5WqZZI6I49MJj6gW6kdcdgnbGW6=w1000-h334-s-no

Then last post I showed, I cut a new board, drilled it and had the instruments installed....
AMWts8AQ1JanKjwqYx39WhBUE1nUwhN9oS4Z0QwML3nkwtfIdL4A9iyz_qYYOVShX1YzjSYodNAld0yFinlHHUqvLtWEfgf4L16lz8_HuYMjfQOMw6QlO0DQ_A6BBGhd_LTQPdHIpE00u76MCP8DUtT2DTkx=w1000-h339-s-no

Here is the panel after I stained and varnished it. This was the first time I lay it up in the boat.
AMWts8AJOhBzzlQqBnH91zHcKHliJOTGDWOx8yZwmz51SUZ33E0Eftg6aTjZE8-kaa4HTJaIcyiVzaVk-voHELISwFHGWXuwpvMHNWNiBg4frh2kVhktUuW9N0EnzWHW1y2a9a8zzOGWAaRdg0TbD9nWPM0b=w1500-h844-s-no

This is the first configuration of the panel when we launched in the summer of 2022
AMWts8BK-DMoSRZ7YETNbed-s_QA_5WgMwXxENzjuOy2Z3yvZI17JQAuH_551vYYQR10LVfagAo6wbm38e4rn_YiEhfqQBwwonlZ1uSrAgaplAJ698jZ3_GCAtcN9DbZu0qtDGuVJLCSZF4Ks0--32GBRkL_=w1500-h844-s-no

Her she is as we came out in the fall of 2022. I added an alternator idiot-light, Hawkeye depth sensor since the Lowrance hull-mount transponder kept giving me errors, and the rudder angle indicator. I also have a speedo-compass gauge I bought this summer that I want to install. It's the same diameter as the tach, so there is no room for it in the current configuration. Hence why I might fab a new panel over the course of this winter...(maybe...LOL)
AMWts8Ad6JSvl6s7917Jre7JmZQlb7v2AAaqSWt3-0w-yPeN0MLviQdywgLO2KqhvEHt2tzMrWnWeTBVQBf2R2j0meIC7ypxcnSkR_Vy-BCdmNLkJYlUgvm56JjHpEdO5oZu65Ci2T3nx3mu4YayxowPjt3k=w1500-h844-s-no

Very nicely done!

Ted

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Just reviewing my photo-library in the dead of winter to post catch-up photos on this thread is making me smile. I sure miss my boat!
For an airplane nut, I certainly jumped into the trawler community head first, eh?

Here is another area we put a lot of sweat-equity into in the spring of 2022. The dining area.

First, a refresher photo from earlier in this thread. This is what the "dining area" looked like when we got her. Where are you supposed to eat???
(Note- I discovered that a lot of this butchery was done by owner #3. He used this boat as a live-aboard and wanted an "office" instead of a dining area. From what I surmise, he tore out the dining area and replaced it with a hot water tank that he enclosed, and a jury-rigged "desk". The workmanship was poor. FYI, Owner #4 was the guy that neglected this boat and let it rot for a few seasons. I bought this boat from owner #5, who bought it in a sorry state in the hopes of restoring her, but didn't get far)

How she was when we got her...Yeecccchhhhh!!! Where are you supposed to eat???
AMWts8BmDnByODcEBAOkBDQ-u2de5zjaldMZDlVqS-E5z_SJifvaPR_8ucqMEFLF8YfskfbinIMamRhvRySJR-g-BA5YyS5k0OqEXrfOmYwvRLeUbXI7k2gcG9cv5nYiQ_XieVM0FsIPyrBgrWpH7mkHqGLO=w1269-h952-s-no

If you were following along earlier in my thread, I had this bright idea to copy the framework of my trailer and put it into the boat. Well, I made the frame over the winter of 2022, but I made a serious mistake. I got the wrong dimensions of the framing wood and when I built it, it was too weak. When I installed it in the spring, it was so flimsy it fell apart as soon as you sat on it....LOL.... Dumbass!!
So I figured "What the hell!, I'll just make it out of 2x4's" And I did. This is the second frame, a bespoke build on the spot! It turned ot to be very sturdy. Sturdy is good!!
AMWts8BJyyHoSaAhi9snPB5aay_G-VN2VWSM00FlA07fSUvDYqFBacVCOSn_Y4Wp4tZRpCFd3QckwXyPAs2Yulw3zwN-NdE7kUc8AB9gXfGhvsC8LNmPj3CfmJcBIDO1iyNk78Ju3BbGBCQbr3EMJyK1k8qh=w1500-h844-s-no

Seeing as I was "working from home", I needed a desk and chair to continue with my work meetings. So I threw some ply in it and fashioned a makeshift table from 6x6 and the wood that was the "countertop" that was in the corner of photo 1 (Hiding the hot water tank). I have conducted many work meetings from this spot :) :)
AMWts8BGqtb4RN7f13y0cvwBXCKWQDHcMQG8_90FYEXWoo7JYsNG2qP_-IPSWQ9ZtamvcUEm_mf13afdOaMVMlEST7mCUa8dnLKgfSDWFtu7vmEu0UK7eMflYqzZz3Prd_dMsB95_iQ833oVImYxEeFnr42p=w1500-h844-s-no

By the way, the hot water tank is still in my garage. I had a spot for it in the engine bay when I took it out of where it was in the corner, but it would not fit in the nook below deck. By the end of the 2022 season, I have problem-solved a solution for where to put the tank and I will try it this spring- along with my solar-hot water project :) )

Cutting the side panels from Russian birch. I "sorta" followed the same shape as the panels in my trailer, with some artistic liberty taken. IE- the radiuses are all from a folger's coffee can lid :p
AMWts8C_fVwG8pWrmc2t1x_os9y9VN9VeQ5dqBt_Zk_EuExQfsj1_zVoLKUhk64wk4iyvYiUj5-aDBAxIZCtEM8_NYICao211sWs-tDH6PrAi5w2K24MlfB2hbJVxEdS9rZZrC4667saU2o4tWd1PPsL4Iqt=w1500-h844-s-no

I made 1 mistake when planning the side panels. Can you figure it out?? :confused: (dont worry, I fixed it...)
AMWts8A7-NdUzuLQAMsSsGfqmF6DFuwUhQVLRzAHwpQSEH1_jt2ZnJ-bUkHkKQoOBxWtQE504cizTLzfN-PiEYAQCMv_WL1t3p8rrNPk9oCHRFU4zFJOEwaZGmHsouhHZQkKCS3-rbIcSzTD54fRhFohXztq=w1500-h844-s-no

Stained the panels as well as the folding table-top. This is the same table-top I salvaged last winter.
AMWts8BujHwdNX4vqeLfH7HbYHeDA81HDVB0G6SV8Mj_8Hf9qooDPBv3OYwVkR1MjFS3vxyjlCTuRrgW6T4cb3ZH87GyYOk24BFZ4cLFMyAldSuD25qoV6m_9_AcmywoNqchb4j7ItTdsEAlbC1UpAU63ujS=w1500-h844-s-no

I am sorry to say I don't have any pictures of the finished product. I could have sworn I took several, but I cant find them in my photo gallery.
I guess I will have to post an update later. After varnishing and adding the wood panels to enclose the seating area, the finished product looks amazing. We have temporary cushions on there as well which look really good, but the Admiral wants to make "nice" (as she calls them) cushions that are thicker than the ones we have on there now. I guess those updates will have to come when we go back to the boat in May 2023

Last edited:
Looks good Max, I don't look forward to starting my dash and guages project, but I do look forward to completing it.

Oh yeah. I know what you mean. It's work, but it feels so good when its finished and working :) :)

Nice boat! The MT Europa was the boat we were looking for but couldn't find one at the time.. ended up with a MS 34. We really liked the Europa layout.

Tales of the Refrigerator!!!!(Sounds bad at first, but ends well)

Tales of the Refrigerator!!!!(Sounds bad at first, but ends well)

Background: Our intention was to take 1 week or 2 week long outings at anchor throughout the summer, and after we retire, take 6 week trips at a time. Therefore, food storage and refrigeration would be a priority.

When we bought the boat, it had a small 110V bar fridge.
AMWts8ARSJcTZyDTy554g9fdQxowPZVQliyiu2qaFfpCEIJ2Co2XpOyOlnmMG91wkcRvT8rybDRF2xJ9K4icguO5oi4nX-OjpxgfbVDoz4R_fZuI4l7XpwfL8UB7PllbmYJUG8acKsOlMU-3tgXOrLWfV13E=w817-h892-s-no

In addition to needing AC power, the fridge was not big enough to store a week or two’s worth of perishable food.
(Note: a “hindsight 20:20 observation”: At the time I thought there was no way to power it via AC for weeks at anchor. I discovered much later during power tests that the fridge drew 75W when on duty, which is not much when you consider that by the time the boat in the water we had 300 usable amps per day due to our combined lead/lithium set-up. Assuming a 50:50 duty cycle, the fridge would have pulled approx. 75A per day, something that could easily be recovered daily from our solar panel array. Food for thought….Now back to my story….)

Out trailer has a propane/electric stove so….. Why not get one for the boat?
My wife...ahem... I mean "The Admiral" wanted a bigger fridge than what was on the boat at the present.
I shopped around for a used propane stove and found one way up north, but the owner could not vouch for the operation of the stove. We took a gamble and drove up to get it. We paid 75 bucks for it.
AMWts8CGoo2ui8hygtx6wLIzn8bb-Xf6VRPDAhuyS603m5j74C53xWXPQks9A3VURCrTPwY4_o5pT6tkYQbEz3B5Jqh0w_UvupvMdVVVwp6i5YTjCT9KAjXsA0OAjGwX-D6peybvF7xXxklhugu7E2DZbeee=w502-h892-s-no

AMWts8D4mAbgO1q4gSwMSHw7npHBqYj3-hf3X7bZhnOEMhVLM09N1wvRI28IE0s9G-5XdddAsCQoROqZje4VCFgfd7MK2P6-zI4QW5baieQba8c_qGpiy8cUm-hHKlMzJawX-bB4fgTS9yuOXAhZ40Q54-i1=w502-h892-s-no

I got it home and cleaned it up, then hooked it up. Sure enough, it would not work. No wonder he sold it to me for 75 bucks. The pilot would light would time-out and shut off every time it was lit. I started trouble shooting the electrics and found that the thermocouple had a dirty connector. That’s all it was. Once I disconnected it, cleaned the connections and put it back together. It worked like a charm. I ran it for several days on propane and it worked fine. Problem solved, right?.... Um.... NOPE!!
The problem started when I started doing the math on the number of propane bottles needed.

My first realization that this fridge was going to be a problem was when I downloaded the manual and specs for this fridge. The fridge needed 300W when running on AC!! Jeez, that’s a lot!!. (The bar fridge that came with the boat and wanted to get rid of was 75W!. So already this RV fridge was looking like a bad idea). Next I looked up BTU’s needed to run the fridge and that blew my mind. In short, I calculated I would go through 1 20lb bottle a week. A 40lb bottle would not fare much better. So in my mind I started to imagine how many bottles would need to be on the boat per outing, as well as the headache of constantly schlepping empty bottles off the boat, take them to the fill station and bring them back... Plus, have you SEEN the price of propane lately?? Nuh-uh…. I ‘aint doing that!

There had to be a better way!

So I started researching battery powered fridges. I discovered “solar fridges” (its just a bunch of blah-blah…they’re just 12V fridges!). After much searching and looking at sizes and specs, we found one that was larger than the bar fridge currently in the boat and comparable to the propane fridge we just bought. The power consumption specs were good too. We picked the 6Cuft size, which was 50" in height.
AMWts8Bnb0Q_8Qn_8NjD_sFNpVcdMZfdPZePnabVcz8PINjBCo1i5_iXiyAuWIb_brU9Mb-XtGL0fTBgxqtooGfMertNGmyzfYd1EIF7VkosVoFKu0wOBLXhnJyVgQmxk0mPD6ViiTJZ5s-cMBmk97lUeVgC=w627-h892-s-no

AMWts8CiYO-0l6loJhIcBm5sMd1IghB6-P_weS51-5VG62wgXo5U23XUMbcHVmhoJLrmmhwNYZDIqpU9I1He55z8YOL9jN82p01hUJyyonxgkxvHWi4mIL9hy3X0E22GPNaurJzBz1o9LiqGMYZYfal3p-cj=w561-h892-s-no

This would fit perfectly in the boat, the height of the fridge would be equal to the height of the doo-hickey that is at the front of the boat.
AMWts8AYSrcKX9ki3Kaa1nqIPIK7u8kfrHde3TS1m2W5cbOgbUfDMP5uIrX4e6FRqcCihincbg8i_y-7C7sH-UG4VhaAUG5EQWxjeXh_wbC3k_6fsU6JBfuDDgyV4ww_N85OcUNY6OEt3yvWD7TtLeZQZmL4=w1189-h892-s-no

It was expensive, but worth it in the long run. I quickly set up my data-logger and ran several tests with the fridge to verify the stated power consumption. To my surprise, my results were better than spec.
With the fridge set to “4” on the dial (dial goes from 0-7), it was pulling 30Amps in a 24hour period, and the duty cycle was 40on/60off.Water in the ice-cube-tray was frozen solid when I checked it at the end of the test.
AMWts8C96Y0Kaz2CMq6FOomDkv7n6Qj0j4Kh7IPb-Hs5TcNZni07Fyq7_50194kLJB_rZqofAeP5j8NB7Jw9Jvs3L3RJw5sMGdXdda-h4P1mRdF40xCf875dRlG2zjMM6SNyyVZdf4E-dwNRtBD3KMZidLMF=w1500-h844-s-no

AMWts8BB7iZv6LPt9oGY4ghA7EPRA83E0F2jo3d9rPVY0wsVyV3K6TcIrpuY9KLd0rTeY3Tl1_aNc-PbISyb8iHm4CHB1NZt9E4ghO0joGAj3qbIx9l5WMxk89oMU5uJMIogceb_Z-OriE-qWk2jD-8sqkbq=w1500-h844-s-no

Next I repeated the test with the dial set to 7 and I got a duty cycle of about 70on/30off and in 24 hours it pulled 50amps. I was thrilled!
Since this was almost double the size of the bar fridge currently in the boat, and it used less power AND did not need to use an AC inverter, this was the best solution. All it needed was 12V from the house bank. Yeah!!
AMWts8AS-LqSkeJ1HVgmMutdCXJNsBq7M-DarQ7E_w1GRJ1EJsP6eCnckfchgZNMAR8XXeDSXiPrVJOebGNPuYftdizVe8DdQVwSHypdEFtygfgiN1MfiLCdbbUhwxmY77OHMC2Z9iHSTHng6LAED1mvkJ4K=w1500-h844-s-no

Also, getting rid of the propane fridge and the need to constantly replace the propane bottles was also a bonus.
The best part? I bought the propane fridge for 75 bucks, fixed it, cleaned it up and sold it for $450 :) :). I took that money and used it to offset the purchase price of the solar fridge.

Our experience with our new fridge in the 2022 season was better than we expected. I hooked up a point-of-use power monitor on the fridge and could monitor the fridge's power consumption.

As from the tests I did last winter, I have determined that the fridge in normal use will pull 30A in 24 hours, and 50A in 24 hours at worst-case setting.

Because of our solar set-up, running our fridge during the day amounts to a net-0 battery drain since the panels provide more than enough power to keep the batteries at full all day. So effectively, the load is only applied onto the batteries from sundown to sunrise. Hence, when I check my power consumption overnight, the most I ever got was 20A from sunset to sunrise. And this was late in the season when we were getting less daylight and longer nights. Considering I have a lead-lithium set-up that provides 300A of usable power that is refilled daily by our solar panels, that hardly makes a dent in my batteries.

Overall I am very pleased with our new refrigerator, its larger capacity(than what was there) and the 0 cost to power it, day in and day out. :) :)

Last edited:
[STRIKE]Out[/STRIKE] Our trailer has a propane/electric [STRIKE]stove[/STRIKE] FRIDGE so….. Why not get one for the boat?
My wife...ahem... I mean "The Admiral" wanted a bigger fridge than what was on the boat at the present.
I shopped around for a used propane [STRIKE]stove[/STRIKE] FRIDGE and found one way up north, but the owner could not vouch for the operation of the [STRIKE]stove[/STRIKE] FRIDGE. We took a gamble and drove up to get it. We paid 75 bucks for it.

Umm.. sorry folks. I don't know where my head was at when I wrote this paragraph....:facepalm:. Thread is locked now, so I cant fix it....:ermm:

You didn’t want the RV propane fridge in the boat anyway. It most likely was not made for use in a boat. And adding a proper propane system to a boat is a large and expensive project.

Thanks for the numbers on your test. We are still in the thinking stage of what is our best option for refrigeration. Why is it marketed as a solar fridge? Because it only runs on 12/24v and no option for 110? I thought maybe it came with its own solar panel.

I'll give their other models a closer look. We are also space constrained. We don't have any solar panels yet either.

Wish they had an under-counter model. Looks like it would be only a little more money than buying a quality 110v fridge and a quality inverter with associated gadgets.

Last edited:
You didn’t want the RV propane fridge in the boat anyway. It most likely was not made for use in a boat. And adding a proper propane system to a boat is a large and expensive project.

I'll say.
Having done all that research, I can emphatically state that there's no reason to ever have a propane fridge on a boat. Given the convenience of 12 volt electric fridges, also 24 volt, there's no need to go propane. Plus given that most people have moderate size house banks, and the advent of easy solar, there's no reason to not go with a battery powered fridge.

Thanks for the numbers on your test. We are still in the thinking stage of what is our best option for refrigeration. Why is it marketed as a solar fridge? Because it only runs on 12/24v and no option for 110? I thought maybe it came with its own solar panel.

I'll give their other models a closer look. We are also space constrained. We don't have any solar panels yet either.

Wish they had an under-counter model. Looks like it would be only a little more money than buying a quality 110v fridge and a quality inverter with associated gadgets.

I guess they call them solar fridges, because they are trying to market these to those people that are building homes that are off grid. In that case, the off grid homes are using DC battery Banks, with solar panels. A 12 or 24 volt fridge is the best option.
https://uniqueappliances.com/product-category/refrigerators-freezers/solar-dc/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom