Still posting catch-ups from last summer's work....
Sometime in this boat's past, someone once thought of repairing the leaks and soft deck walls by adding a second piece of plywood to the side and then fiberglassing over it using fiberglass mat. As you can see on the last two slides from the previous post, the second layer of ply on the side meant there was a gap between the new ply and the top deck. I am guessing that is where the idea came to add flanges in the previous post. These flanges were screwed to the side to make up for the difference in thickness. Of course, the flange was sealed but over time it leaked again. Now that the flanges are is gone, I started removing this second layer of ply which by the way had some rot in it.
Once the second layer of ply was removed, I think I'm looking at the original side. When inside the boat, there is a lot of rot in this wood.
Now I'm starting to remove some of this material. Some of the open areas seen here are from when the Admiral started picking away from the inside. Back then we didn't know the true extent of the problem so, so when we got to this part here we realized the whole wall had to come out.
I used a circular saw to cut the periphery, and started prying out the rotten wall.
All the rotten sections have now been cut out. At the bottom there is a flange which is the actual fiberglass deck. Thankfully this was still solid, which created a seal from the decking to the sidewall.
Another angle of the same cleanup. Notice the 2x4 inside the stateroom. This was put in place to act as a support from the top since the entire sidewall is now gone.
I decided to build up this wall using two layers of 11 mm plywood. The two layers will be glued and screwed. I found this to be very advantageous, because of the Curve that the wood is required to take would be easier into separate thinner pieces than one thick piece. Also note the conduit that I embedded into the decking. I discovered that most of the rot that was found on the previous plywood was because the wood was put into the trough of the deck. Water draining down the trough would be wicked up into the wood. By adding the conduit, it acts as a channel to drain the water down the deck and not get absorbed by the wood. Later I added drill holes to the conduit to allow water to weep in and drain.
Here's a close up shot of the trough I was talking about. There is a lot of rotten dust still in there that I will clean up before installing the conduit. At some point in the next few years, all the teak decking will be removed, but for now we intend to leave it for the time being.
Another shot of the conduit. The conduit is nested into the trough and does not need any glue or screws. This is the first layer of ply, there will be one more layer placed on top with staggered cuts so that the seams do not overlap.
This is the second layer of ply. It will eventually be trimmed down to the correct height.