Old 04-04-2023, 08:44 PM   #181

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Stateroom.

Before: Here are a few "BEFORE" photos of the stateroom. First impressions was "A total waste of space". Nothing seemed to have any fit, form or function.

The cabinets at the front were useless, and inaccessible for anything. The lower drawer could not even open. Ditto for the double doors. Nothing useful here! The beige and red colour scheme.....Yech!!!!!
Note the hatch and trim.....

Sticking out in the middle of the room was this cubby that seemed to be an afterthought. it protruded into the cabin and just made everything seem cramped.

At the rear of the stateroom is a closet that was painted in the same red paint

Step 1, got rid of the cubby that was overhanging everything.

Got rid of everything else at the rear

Took down the ceiling tile and everything from the front

Got rid of the cabinets

Notice the excellent workmanship on the framing of the hatch. This hatch leaked a lot. Coupled with the poor fiberglassing on the outside, is it any wonder??

This is where we started removing the inner wall, before we realised the outer wall would also have to come out...
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:49 AM   #182
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quite an undertaking on your whole boat Max, wow!

I too want to reconfigure our staterooms, but luckily not too much stuff has been "fixed" by previous owners. I am a big fan of do it right, do it once. Right now I've got the forward stateroom cabin ceiling gutted waiting for rebuild.

I look forward to seeing your solutions.

Thanks for documenting and sharing.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
Quite an undertaking on your whole boat Max, wow!

I too want to reconfigure our staterooms, but luckily not too much stuff has been "fixed" by previous owners. I am a big fan of do it right, do it once. Right now I've got the forward stateroom cabin ceiling gutted waiting for rebuild.

I look forward to seeing your solutions.

Thanks for documenting and sharing.
Thanks Charlie!
I haven't gotten caught up because I went to the boat last weekend and removed the wrapping and put away all the framing. It was such a pleasant feeling to be back on the moat after what seemed to be an endless winter of hibernation!. I feel so rejuvenated.

The batteries are on board, the solar panels hooked up and I had music playing in the boat the whole time I was on it.

PS- I am sick and tired of coiling rope.

I will try to do a few more catch-up posts in the next few weeks. Once May rolls around, you may not hear from me for a while...LOL
Old 04-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #184
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
Thanks Charlie!
I haven't gotten caught up because I went to the boat last weekend and removed the wrapping and put away all the framing. It was such a pleasant feeling to be back on the moat after what seemed to be an endless winter of hibernation!. I feel so rejuvenated.

The batteries are on board, the solar panels hooked up and I had music playing in the boat the whole time I was on it.

PS- I am sick and tired of coiling rope.

I will try to do a few more catch-up posts in the next few weeks. Once May rolls around, you may not hear from me for a while...LOL
That's great Max, I'm close to unwrapping and I am hauling my batteries back to the boat tomorrow. I want to unwrap but my forward cabin is currently hatchless and not water tight in other areas. I may unwrap my aft deck over the lazarette though so I can drop my water tanks to the ground and finish putting that end of the boat together. probably only 3- 4 weekends till splash.

I am looking forward to the sunshine and a cold one with music working on the boat this weekend thinking about the summer to come.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:05 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
That's great Max, I'm close to unwrapping and I am hauling my batteries back to the boat tomorrow. I want to unwrap but my forward cabin is currently hatchless and not water tight in other areas. I may unwrap my aft deck over the lazarette though so I can drop my water tanks to the ground and finish putting that end of the boat together. probably only 3- 4 weekends till splash.

I am looking forward to the sunshine and a cold one with music working on the boat this weekend thinking about the summer to come.
Ha.. I know that feeling. "Get to work" was what I had to keep telling myself every day the boat was on the hard last spring....

CharlieO....."Get to work!!"...LOL
Old 10-16-2023, 04:43 AM   #186

Getting caught up with this thread again.
Another season has come and gone.
And, like last year, once the season started in May, I have disappeared from these forums as I dedicated all my time to the boat. From May to Mid-June it was hard work while it was on the Hard. Then from Mid-June until the end of September we were enjoying the boat.

Now that it is back up on the hard and wrapped for winter, I will have even more catching up to do with this thread over the coming winter.

I still want to post some pictures of the before/after improvements from last year. But also have many more new photos of the improvements I had to do this past spring. One was a major project that was completely unforeseen. But I will save that for another catch-up post.

In the meantime, I want to say that this summer's boating season was amazing. In year 1 we were unfamiliar with the boat and limited our excursions to 3 days at the most as we were getting used to her. This year, once we launched, all excursions were 10 days or longer which made for some amazing adventures. We've been on it longer and went further this year than last. With longer trips came new problems that we need to overcome such as insufficient fresh water stores and dealing with our trash.

So if you are interested in what we have done this year, stay tuned. I'll try to post more catch-up pictures when I can.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #187
Veteran Member

City: Toronto, ON
Vessel Name: Wooly Bully
Vessel Model: Albin 33
Looking forward to seeing your improvements. I have done a lot of work as well and because of health reasons did not get much cruising in. Should have taken more photos myself.

Tags
europa, marine trader, project