1975 Marine Trader 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drummer79

Veteran Member
This boat is solid as hell, decks redone already, windows fixed for leakage, new fuel tanks, etc..it's a solid boat, and cheap enough that I can customize it some to fit my needs, the wiring is a rat's nest by my standards, I'd fix that. thoughts on it? https://www.popyachts.com/trawlers-...n-fort-lauderdale-florida-r1-256802?C=1803169
I've talked to the owner, we're going to do a facetime meeting or whatever to show me anything I want to ask questions about, then a visit if I'm satisfied, he does charter stuff, he's got a fleet of boats and immaculate records of keeping her up, says turn key I can motor it to NC from Florida no problem. Sounds like a hell of a deal, but i'm squirelly about a good deal lol. All outside thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Man those photos take me back. That boat is the same vintage as the Clipper (CHB) 34 I bought several owners down the track in 2002, and sold her just in 2018. She was in worse condition than this one, for sure.

It appears most of the 'inevitable' issues, characteristic of the genre, have been addressed, so most that needs doing is a tidy up, new nav instruments eventually, a tidy up of some of the no doubt much-added-to-over-time wiring, as you said, and you'd have a pretty damn good boat for that price.

The engine is legend for reliability. The Paragon box, which mine also had, is extra reliable, and the engine gauges appear ok. I noted the faux plank effect on the hull, not part of the from new finish, suggesting a fairly good professional re-paint with a good two-pack as well. That alone, without the pattern, cost me $Aus8000 ~ 2006. I think she'd be a safe and good value buy at $US27,000...but of course, nothing like a survey and good sea trial. Certainly worth a look. �� :)

Just make sure you get a proper survey and sea trial. I'm sure the owner is a great guy, but I wouldn't take his word. Many times owners gloss over issues. Even if the boat is a good deal knowing what needs to be addressed is necessary information.

Make sure you will be able to get insurance on it before you sign on the line.

I'll be following your experience here, we are looking for the same type of boat, with a similar price point in mind. Are you planning on pulling it out of the water to inspect the bottom?

Looks like Angelina's sister. In a good way. You need to see her in person. Digital photography can make these old girls look way better than they are in person. That said she looks good and the price is right. All the usual suspects have been addressed. Looks like we used some of the same spare parts. I'll bet the bottom is OK. These old MTs were built before the foolishness of the 80's so the hull is nice and thick with no blistering.

here's more info I got through email. The seller has a fleet of charter boats, that's his line of work, this boat was to be personal for him to do "the loop" (I honestly don't know what that means yet) but he's so busy with work that this boat sitting and costing slip fees is not in his game anymore. It's been maintained as well as his fleet of boats he makes his living with though. here's a copy of the email of more info on it.

[FONT=ClanPro-Book,HelveticaNeue-Light,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Hi Charles,

The 1975 Marine Trader is a very unique boat with a great interior. I've copied some internal notes from the Seller that might give you some better info:

1975 34' Marine Trader Trawler
engine hours (total): 1843
length overall (LOA): 34
make / manufacturer: Marine Trader
model name / number: Double Cabin
propulsion type: power
year manufactured: 1975
Original 120 hp Ford Lehman Diesel with 1843 hours.
Rebuilt original Paragon marine transmission.
New head gasket and headers inspected earlier this year.
Brand new exhaust.
New fuel lines.
Brand new starter.
New fuel tanks.
Shaft just balanced and new couplers.
Lots of spare parts.
Two helms all with new working gauges.
Chain steering.
4 house AGM batteries powered by Solar panels.
Two engine starting batteries.
Receipts for everything.
New marine water heater.
70 gallon stainless water tank.
12 gallon holding tank.
Two new 8' Shakespeare Antenna's.
Older Garmin Chartplotter.
VHF Stereo inside helm.
Bose audio system with Alpine Amp and Subwoofer.
Working TV.
Fridge.
Stove Top.
Two heads, One manual flush, One electric flush.
All sinks and showers operational.
Aft Cabin roof completely redone with brand new marine plywood and finished with nonskid.
No leaks from any windows.
Brand new cushions for interior.
Exterior has non skid on all decks.
Top deck has no furniture and is ready to be built to your specifications!
Teak swim platform.
Two anchors.
Comes with brand new West Marine Inflatable dinghy with 3.5 hp outboard!
Comes with lots of extra teak pieces and parts
[/FONT]

It looks like the port water tank has a couple of cuts in it from a cutoff wheel or sawzall. Something you may want to get the story on https://www.popyachts.com/trawlers-...ale-florida-r1-256802?C=1803169#&gid=1&pid=24
These boats typically carry around 150 gallons of water so the stated 70 gallons may just be the starboard tank since the port tank isn't going to hold much water.

Good luck!

Yeah that's disclosed. Was cut to try to remove it, but steering post in the way.

If the vessel has been in charter, then if the regs there regarding such is anything like they are here, the boat will have had to pass a survey for charter level safety and function, including bilge pumps, through-hull fixtures, etc, etc. In other words some built in redundancy, and over-all seaworthiness will have to be right up to scratch. So, that in itself should be reassuring.

That chain and rod steering system is virtually bullet-proof - as long as the chain doesn't come off. Ask me how I know. Still, we found the one time that happened, because the wooden block holding the pulley under the aft deck got soft from the damp and allowed slack to develop, the emergency tiller worked fine. Fixed with alloy replacement with no other issues. There are no issues re loosing power from hydraulic leaks, etc, and no issues with handover from upper helm to lower, and vice versa, as they are both engaged all the time. Loved that. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha! All these boats have had the same problems! My steering chains were perpetually loose and I found the same problem was the cause: The wooden block holding the pulley had rotted. Actually the two bolts through the wooden block looked like something from the wreck of the Titanic. One had rusted through and the other would in another 10 minutes. All fixed now.

Which brings up the water tank removal. Yes the rudder shaft and steering gear have to come out to remove the water tank intact. It's about a morning's job to remove the rudder and steering gear. The water tanks must come out port side first then starboard side next as they are not mounted center line. (they just look it) While you have them out replace those two bolts holding the steering chain pulley.

Ha Ha Ha! All these boats have had the same problems! My steering chains were perpetually loose and I found the same problem was the cause: The wooden block holding the pulley had rotted. Actually the two bolts through the wooden block looked like something from the wreck of the Titanic. One had rusted through and the other would in another 10 minutes. All fixed now.

Which brings up the water tank removal. Yes the rudder shaft and steering gear have to come out to remove the water tank intact. It's about a morning's job to remove the rudder and steering gear. The water tanks must come out port side first then starboard side next as they are not mounted center line. (they just look it) While you have them out replace those two bolts holding the steering chain pulley.
I have a buddy who welds stainless, etc.. who can handle building a new tank. once i get the boat home, (if i can make it happen between house closing delays and this boat maybe getting gone first) replacing the tank won't be that big a deal.

I have twin 120 Ford Lehmans in my 1982 Ocean Alexander aporoaching 5,000 hrs. Very reliable. Very important to change oil in fuel injectors religiously.

I have twin 120 Ford Lehmans in my 1982 Ocean Alexander aporoaching 5,000 hrs. Very reliable. Very important to change oil in fuel injectors religiously.
What interval do you use? The owners manual states every 50 hours. Is that what you do?

What interval do you use? The owners manual states every 50 hours. Is that what you do?

I took a seminar from Bob Smith, Lehman guru, he said start at 50 hours. Check at 50 and see if the oil has any diesel dilution. If not then go to 60 hours and check on the next oil change. Each engine is different and the oil change interval will be different from others. One guy in the seminar said one of his engines had to be changed every 50 hours but the other engine only needed changing every 100 hours. Bob said that was reasonable. Just keep checking the oil for diesel dilution and if not diluted extend the interval by 10 hours until you start to see dilution, when you do back down 10 hours and that will be the oil change interval.

I took a seminar from Bob Smith, Lehman guru, he said start at 50 hours. Check at 50 and see if the oil has any diesel dilution. If not then go to 60 hours and check on the next oil change. Each engine is different and the oil change interval will be different from others. One guy in the seminar said one of his engines had to be changed every 50 hours but the other engine only needed changing every 100 hours. Bob said that was reasonable. Just keep checking the oil for diesel dilution and if not diluted extend the interval by 10 hours until you start to see dilution, when you do back down 10 hours and that will be the oil change interval.
Thanks. I guess I will be starting at 50 hours.
How can you tell if it has diesel dilution? Just from the viscosity or does the colour change? Will it separate if I put it in a glass jar and check the jar after it sat for a bit to see if it stratifies? Or do I have to send it out for lab testing?

Sorry for all the questions. My first trawler, my first diesel and my first 2 months of ownership ;)

I would try smell first. I think, but I have not tried it, that you will be able to smell the diesel in the oil. Also it may feel different between your fingers. I never had a 120, mine were 225s so I didn’t actually have to change the oil in the injection pump.

The Manual for my L120s said 200 hours! Had to post a copy to convince Marin. Compromised @ 100 hours, no problems arose.

And Bob Smith said the manual was wrong. I would believe him any day over a manual. Unfortunately he has passed away now, but his knowledge was astounding.

The Manual for my L120s said 200 hours! Had to post a copy to convince Marin. Compromised @ 100 hours, no problems arose.

That is weird.
I have a Lehman 120 aka 6D380 (which I am guessing is your L120 reference?)

Anyway, here is the manual I am using.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lehman Manual 1.jpg
    Lehman Manual 1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 194
  • Lehman Manual 2.jpg
    Lehman Manual 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 186
My understanding is that there are multiple versions of the manual out there. Bob said to learn the individual engine and change the oil on that schedule.

Ha Ha Ha! All these boats have had the same problems! My steering chains were perpetually loose and I found the same problem was the cause: The wooden block holding the pulley had rotted. Actually the two bolts through the wooden block looked like something from the wreck of the Titanic. One had rusted through and the other would in another 10 minutes. All fixed now..... While you have them out replace those two bolts holding the steering chain pulley.
With mine, the bolts were stainless and not rusted, but the wooden block was all soft from the damp conditions in the lazaret over long years, allowing the slow slackening of the block and with it the pulley. I had an alloy replacement made, and then it was through-bolted through the full deck thickness, just to be on the safe side. Having the quite low profile rounded heads of the bolts in the cockpit floor was no problem at all. The chain never slackened after that. :thumb:

That is weird.
I have a Lehman 120 aka 6D380 (which I am guessing is your L120 reference?)
Anyway, here is the manual I am using....
Agree it`s weird. Same engine, different edition of the Manual, which had a smiling photo of the late Bob Smith as Lehman VP, providing some "don`t mess with it unless you know what you`re doing" advice.
Boat is sold, Manual went with it. Though my mechanic has my second copy(boat had twins)I lent him.... which he seems quite unable to find :).

I guess you’re looking at different pictures than I am.I have owned three of these boats two aft cabins and one sedan . My favorite Taiwanese trawler is the 34 sedan by far. If you want a boat just to use the last little bit of life left in it then go for it otherwise run!!!

Fuel injector pump - I change the oil every 50 hours simply because (a) prevention is preferable to cure, and (b) its so easy to do, even for a mechanical klutz like me….

I guess you’re looking at different pictures than I am.I have owned three of these boats two aft cabins and one sedan . My favorite Taiwanese trawler is the 34 sedan by far. If you want a boat just to use the last little bit of life left in it then go for it otherwise run!!!

That's a very strange generalist statement to make, Scooby. It would help if you offered some details.

Agree it`s weird. Same engine, different edition of the Manual, which had a smiling photo of the late Bob Smith as Lehman VP, providing some "don`t mess with it unless you know what you`re doing" advice.
Boat is sold, Manual went with it. Though my mechanic has my second copy(boat had twins)I lent him.... which he seems quite unable to find :).

I would love to get my hands on the revised manual. I am still absorbing Big-boat/Lehmans/Trawler knowledge at a phenomenal rate. Need.more.data.

If anyone has one of these revised manuals, please post here or PM me.

here's more info I got through email. The seller has a fleet of charter boats, that's his line of work, this boat was to be personal for him to do "the loop" (I honestly don't know what that means yet) but he's so busy with work that this boat sitting and costing slip fees is not in his game anymore. It's been maintained as well as his fleet of boats he makes his living with though. here's a copy of the email of more info on it.

[FONT=ClanPro-Book,HelveticaNeue-Light,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Hi Charles,

The 1975 Marine Trader is a very unique boat with a great interior. I've copied some internal notes from the Seller that might give you some better info:

1975 34' Marine Trader Trawler
engine hours (total): 1843
length overall (LOA): 34
make / manufacturer: Marine Trader
model name / number: Double Cabin
propulsion type: power
year manufactured: 1975
Original 120 hp Ford Lehman Diesel with 1843 hours.
Rebuilt original Paragon marine transmission.
New head gasket and headers inspected earlier this year.
Brand new exhaust.
New fuel lines.
Brand new starter.
New fuel tanks.
Shaft just balanced and new couplers.
Lots of spare parts.
Two helms all with new working gauges.
Chain steering.
4 house AGM batteries powered by Solar panels.
Two engine starting batteries.
Receipts for everything.
New marine water heater.
70 gallon stainless water tank.
12 gallon holding tank.
Two new 8' Shakespeare Antenna's.
Older Garmin Chartplotter.
VHF Stereo inside helm.
Bose audio system with Alpine Amp and Subwoofer.
Working TV.
Fridge.
Stove Top.
Two heads, One manual flush, One electric flush.
All sinks and showers operational.
Aft Cabin roof completely redone with brand new marine plywood and finished with nonskid.
No leaks from any windows.
Brand new cushions for interior.
Exterior has non skid on all decks.
Top deck has no furniture and is ready to be built to your specifications!
Teak swim platform.
Two anchors.
Comes with brand new West Marine Inflatable dinghy with 3.5 hp outboard!
Comes with lots of extra teak pieces and parts
[/FONT]
1843/46 40.065 hours per year seems like very low hours I would ask for the logs to substantiate the Hours. it could be correct I would just like to see something that supports the claim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom