Old 11-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
And Bob Smith said the manual was wrong. I would believe him any day over a manual. Unfortunately he has passed away now, but his knowledge was astounding.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #22

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The Manual for my L120s said 200 hours! Had to post a copy to convince Marin. Compromised @ 100 hours, no problems arose.
That is weird.
I have a Lehman 120 aka 6D380 (which I am guessing is your L120 reference?)

Anyway, here is the manual I am using.

Attached Thumbnails
Lehman Manual 1.jpg   Lehman Manual 2.jpg  
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
My understanding is that there are multiple versions of the manual out there. Bob said to learn the individual engine and change the oil on that schedule.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:58 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Ha Ha Ha! All these boats have had the same problems! My steering chains were perpetually loose and I found the same problem was the cause: The wooden block holding the pulley had rotted. Actually the two bolts through the wooden block looked like something from the wreck of the Titanic. One had rusted through and the other would in another 10 minutes. All fixed now..... While you have them out replace those two bolts holding the steering chain pulley.
With mine, the bolts were stainless and not rusted, but the wooden block was all soft from the damp conditions in the lazaret over long years, allowing the slow slackening of the block and with it the pulley. I had an alloy replacement made, and then it was through-bolted through the full deck thickness, just to be on the safe side. Having the quite low profile rounded heads of the bolts in the cockpit floor was no problem at all. The chain never slackened after that.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
That is weird.
I have a Lehman 120 aka 6D380 (which I am guessing is your L120 reference?)
Anyway, here is the manual I am using....
Agree it`s weird. Same engine, different edition of the Manual, which had a smiling photo of the late Bob Smith as Lehman VP, providing some "don`t mess with it unless you know what you`re doing" advice.
Boat is sold, Manual went with it. Though my mechanic has my second copy(boat had twins)I lent him.... which he seems quite unable to find .
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
I guess you’re looking at different pictures than I am.I have owned three of these boats two aft cabins and one sedan . My favorite Taiwanese trawler is the 34 sedan by far. If you want a boat just to use the last little bit of life left in it then go for it otherwise run!!!
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: VAGABOND
Vessel Model: MARINE TRADER 34
Fuel injector pump - I change the oil every 50 hours simply because (a) prevention is preferable to cure, and (b) its so easy to do, even for a mechanical klutz like me….
Old 11-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
I guess you’re looking at different pictures than I am.I have owned three of these boats two aft cabins and one sedan . My favorite Taiwanese trawler is the 34 sedan by far. If you want a boat just to use the last little bit of life left in it then go for it otherwise run!!!
That's a very strange generalist statement to make, Scooby. It would help if you offered some details.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #29

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Quote:
Agree it`s weird. Same engine, different edition of the Manual, which had a smiling photo of the late Bob Smith as Lehman VP, providing some "don`t mess with it unless you know what you`re doing" advice.
Boat is sold, Manual went with it. Though my mechanic has my second copy(boat had twins)I lent him.... which he seems quite unable to find .
I would love to get my hands on the revised manual. I am still absorbing Big-boat/Lehmans/Trawler knowledge at a phenomenal rate. Need.more.data.

If anyone has one of these revised manuals, please post here or PM me.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #30

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer79 View Post
here's more info I got through email. The seller has a fleet of charter boats, that's his line of work, this boat was to be personal for him to do "the loop" (I honestly don't know what that means yet) but he's so busy with work that this boat sitting and costing slip fees is not in his game anymore. It's been maintained as well as his fleet of boats he makes his living with though. here's a copy of the email of more info on it.

Hi Charles,

The 1975 Marine Trader is a very unique boat with a great interior. I've copied some internal notes from the Seller that might give you some better info:

1975 34' Marine Trader Trawler
engine hours (total): 1843
length overall (LOA): 34
make / manufacturer: Marine Trader
model name / number: Double Cabin
propulsion type: power
year manufactured: 1975
Original 120 hp Ford Lehman Diesel with 1843 hours.
Rebuilt original Paragon marine transmission.
New head gasket and headers inspected earlier this year.
Brand new exhaust.
New fuel lines.
Brand new starter.
New fuel tanks.
Shaft just balanced and new couplers.
Lots of spare parts.
Two helms all with new working gauges.
Chain steering.
4 house AGM batteries powered by Solar panels.
Two engine starting batteries.
Receipts for everything.
New marine water heater.
70 gallon stainless water tank.
12 gallon holding tank.
Two new 8' Shakespeare Antenna's.
Older Garmin Chartplotter.
VHF Stereo inside helm.
Bose audio system with Alpine Amp and Subwoofer.
Working TV.
Fridge.
Stove Top.
Two heads, One manual flush, One electric flush.
All sinks and showers operational.
Aft Cabin roof completely redone with brand new marine plywood and finished with nonskid.
No leaks from any windows.
Brand new cushions for interior.
Exterior has non skid on all decks.
Top deck has no furniture and is ready to be built to your specifications!
Teak swim platform.
Two anchors.
Comes with brand new West Marine Inflatable dinghy with 3.5 hp outboard!
Comes with lots of extra teak pieces and parts
1843/46 40.065 hours per year seems like very low hours I would ask for the logs to substantiate the Hours. it could be correct I would just like to see something that supports the claim
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
That's a very strange generalist statement to make, Scooby. It would help if you offered some details.
I don’t want to be negative if you like the boat and you’ve actually looked at it great .I wouldn’t even go look at it and I have owned many Taiwanese trawlers .I would buy them clean them up and flip them when I say many more than 20 I don’t remember exactly how many ,I’m not saying that to make myself looks like some kind of expert but I do know a lot about those boats .I think I looked at pictures on the brokers website ,is that the one with the air conditioning hang out on the back window those bolts are just too old for all that plywood coring I could go on for a long time maybe I’m wrong maybe I’m not
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #32
Guru

City: Trenton
I have 1855 hours on mine. These aren't globe trotters. About 50 hrs a year is normal. One of the reasons they last so long.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Deltaville, Virginia
Vessel Name: Next Chapter
Vessel Model: 34' Marine Trader DC
I would be concerned that the rear escape door has been covered up. Very small water tank compared to what came on it new (150 gallons was standard)
nobles9596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #34
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Aft cabin safety and ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles9596 View Post
I would be concerned that the rear escape door has been covered up. Very small water tank compared to what came on it new (150 gallons was standard)
I’m also a veteran of early MT 34 . Owned a ‘73 for about 11 years until health said it was time to pack it in a few years back.Many of the photos brought back memories of projects I spent a lot of time on. All these boats now have 40++ years on them, but I never seen a mod that eliminated both the aft hatch, rear and starboard windows. You gotta wonder what sort of damage or deterioration would cause a PO to repair it this way. The risk of fire, CO , or whatever else that would require quick egress would make me totally unwilling to spend a night in that dark hole of an aft cabin.

I’d also question when and how regular maintenance was performed…the boat is a pigpen and pride of ownership by PO is obviously very low, even if he did have it in charter. Looks like there’s no thruster, no genset, no anchor windlass…dodgy a/c with the window unit and a portable unit fwd that vents out a window.. I wouldn’t back that thing out of its slip.

When I bought my MT in 2007 it was already older than most insurance brokers would consider but I had two previous boats with BoatUS, was paying cash for the boat, and only with repair receipts to correct several survey issues was I able to insure the boat. I hope the prospective owner has his insurance, and financing if necessary, all in line before he jumps in.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Washington
That boat sat for a long time, so I had suspicions about it, but it finally sold, and my house hasn't yet, not til next Monday if all goes as planned. I haven't shed any tears that it's gone lol..when the right one comes along, it'll work out. The Albin 27 in the for sale section looks like a good boat for a decent price for a single guy to live on. I'll definitely eyeball it harder once the house closing is complete. I've kinda paused the shopping til I'm in a situation to buy.
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #36
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
The Manual for my L120s said 200 hours! Had to post a copy to convince Marin. Compromised @ 100 hours, no problems arose.
What happened to Marin? He hasn’t been on here in half a decade?!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
What happened to Marin? He hasn’t been on here in half a decade?!
It`s messier, but effectively, as I read it, Marin reached a self determined number of posts and didn`t want to post anymore as Marin. By then, he had generously shared his knowledge and views.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote