Hi from Galveston Bay, Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot-Enuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot Enuff
Vessel Make
Atlantic 47'
I've enjoyed reading all of the post from new members like myself. And yes, I just sold my Catalina sailboat to come over to the "Dark Side" and power my way to happiness. The purchase of my Atlantic 47' Trawler was the best thing I could have done. The comfort level can not be matched in any sailboat I've seen or owned. The fuel was the biggest hurdle to overcome but what the heck. The comfort, enjoyment and safety is a far greater posative than the negative of fuel cost. Looking to retire and do as much coastal crusing as I can. Thanks to all of you who post and respond. It helps an old salt, like me, adjust to my new life style. I'm looking forward to years of happy motoring and reading the Trawler Forum.
ps. I'm trying to be nice to sailboaters as I pass... :angel:

Last edited:
Which model Catalina did you have? Welcome to the dark side. It's loads of fun. :)

ps. I'm trying to be nice to sailboaters as I pass... :angel:[/QUOTE]

Why are they being nice to you?:blush:

I find most sailboaters to be rather rude.
Perhaps it is because they don't have a radio mounted where they can get to them.

I don't know. They just seem to ignore everyone.

But all that aside

Welcome aboard.

SD

Welcome aboard. Appreciate you being nice to sailboaters. Some of us, perhaps even most of us, I don't know, were sailboaters before moving to a trawler. There are jerks in all types of boating (with the possible exception of kayakers, I suppose), but there are also an awful lot of very nice people in all types of boating.

John

Welcome aboard. Appreciate you being nice to sailboaters. Some of us, perhaps even most of us, I don't know, were sailboaters before moving to a trawler. There are jerks in all types of boating (with the possible exception of kayakers, I suppose), but there are also an awful lot of very nice people in all types of boating.

John

Well that pretty much sums it up. Except for those Kyakers.:nonono:

The good the bad and the Kyakers.:nonono:

I don't think they use there radios much either.:rofl:

Sorry slow day:banghead:

SD

SkipperDude wrote:

"Well that pretty much sums it up. Except for those Kyakers.:nonono:

The good the bad and the Kyakers
.:nonono:"

Well, of course I didn't mean that an individual kayaker might not be a jerk. I just meant that he or she would be hard put to show such jerkdom by boat operation. They seldom throw a wake, seldom run a genset in a crowded anchorage, and seldom verbally abuse their wives to cover up their own ineptness at docking. :)

And of course this shows my personal definition of being a jerk, I suppose.

John

:speed boat:Good one.
Personal definition allowed and appreciated.

SD

Well, of course I didn't mean that an individual kayaker might not be a jerk. They seldom.... seldom verbally abuse their wives to cover up their own ineptness..
John
A local kayak hire company calls their 2 person kayaks, often hired by couples, "divorce boats".
An advantage for power-boaters who have sailed is an ability to anticipate probable sailboat course changes and act accordingly, to the advantage of all.
Of course there are some idiots out there in sailboats too, but mutual respect and commonsense usually wins out.

When we were sailing types, we used to sort of pity those fizz-boat people who from our side of the water seemed to predominantly be the ones who lacked consideration for others, especially sail boat people, and seemed to be less ecologically minded also, when it came to respecting the environment. However, looking back we did not come across trawler type power boats all that much. It was usually the (often trailered), fast planing boat brigade we came in contact with. We were probably mostly wrong then, as motor boat types are mostly wrong in their reverse judgment. I can see that better now having been, (as many of us are/were), in both camps at one time now. Certainly makes one a bit less judgmental.

Geeee, all I wanted to do was say Hello. The bottom line is respecting each other and enjoying whatever your boating choice is. I'm out there to have a great day and I find beauty in all boats. It may not be my choice of boat, but I respect others choices. And, everyone is entitled to their opinion with out fear. No, I'm not running for office, just an old salt who loves the water and people.

What marina are you in? We made the switch last year. We're in Waterford Harbor.

Bob

Bob, I am in the Kemah Board Walk Marina. Originally here due to a deep draft sailboat but I get a substantial discount due to a family member who works for the company. I like turning right and immediately being in the bay. So, as long as I receive a discount, I guess I'll be here. Really not bad and as usual, the majority of others here are real nice.

john

Back
Top Bottom