Saw One of These New hard Tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
At the Christmas boat parade. Looks nice and i like how it allows light through, but you can't mount anything to it if you don't have an arch.

http://hardtotop.com/

I wonder how light they are. Not very good looking but if ther'e light enough would be a great top.

Mount your "arch" to something lower.

Can't be furled in a blow... not interested.
Ugly on a trawler too IMHO

I may be wrong but didn't someone on the forum recently install something like this???

The guy gave me a sample of the material and it was lightweight, but looked like corrugated plastic. For my money I would still go with a glass hardtop.

I'm very familiar with the Coroplast material they're using. It isn't UV stable and will degrade and become brittle in a few short years of exposure. Cheap to replace, but just something to know going in.

Yes we did and we really like it much better than our old fabric bimini.

beach house boot key.jpg

Yes we did and we really like it much better than our old fabric bimini.

I would like it better if it were YELLOW. Trawler Beach House needs a YELLOW TOP!!! :thumb:

I know. We considered that but the fabric just doesn't last very long down here. Chuck

THAT'S IT! Sorry all, I was looking in the forum for a story I read on Chuck's blog.

I'll gladly be in the minority and say I like it.

I think it looks ok, especially if there was no other coloured canvas to clash with, so to speak. However, in our part of the world, I would be a bit worried as to how hail proof it was - what say you Cap'n Chuck..?

I'm very familiar with the Coroplast material they're using. It isn't UV stable and will degrade and become brittle in a few short years of exposure. Cheap to replace, but just something to know going in.

There are grades of PCSS that are used for green houses, sky lights and roof windows. I have to believe that Hard To Top is using one of these.

Just the thing for those who want their trawlers to have that trailer trash look. The hardtop concept is a great idea, but this particular execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Just the thing for those who want their trawlers to have that trailer trash look. The hardtop concept is a great idea, but this particular execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Really? Did you look at the pictures of the Sequoia?

I'm not saying that I love the look but I did look at the system. The cost of the original install is not bad and if it lasts more than five years without replacing any panels it beats the hell out of Sunbrella. It also has the advantage of having side panels like a canvas top attached as well.

I noticed that the two rude comments came from posters who had 40 and 44 posts.

I guess they haven't learned to play nicely in the sandbox.

One of the guys from our club put a cover like that on his boat. I think it looks OK and serves the purpose of keeping them out of the sun.

I really don't consider Beach House trailer trash and neither does the reflection of hundreds of positive comments we get everywhere we go. Looks do matter to us but we are actual cruisers and not dock queeens so functionality and longevity sometimes mean as much or more than just looks. When we're sitting in the Bahamas or on the Great Lakes I don't want to be replacing or resewing canvas and now I won't. I don't have any concern about hail, I doubt you can break this stuff or dent it without using a heavy sledge hammer. To each his own. Chuck

What about big gusts or just windy days? My concern lies less with the looks and more that you can't take it down if 50+mph gusts are forecast.

Greetings,
I am concerned about our ultimate air draft so this sort of set up wouldn't work for me AND personally I'm not too fond of the look but as Mr. Chuck notes "To each his own"-exactly! I can see a definite advantage over canvas in that side panels would be held more snugly by the rigid top thus minimizing flapping in the breeze.

What about big gusts or just windy days? My concern lies less with the looks and more that you can't take it down if 50+mph gusts are forecast.

Good point if one boats in an area with frequent higher winds. It's hard to tell from the photos on the website how easy the installation is, but I suppose if it's easy to dismount you could remove the panel if high winds are forecast and stow it on shore somewhere. Or even set it on edge on the side deck if the boat has them and lash it to the cabin rails or something.

I don't find the appearance much different than the full-length biminis I see on other boats. Biminis in general are not particularly complementary to the lines of most boats. I think it's the translucent nature of the panel(s) that make this one seem so different. If it was a solid Pacific Blue or green or one of the other popular Sunbrella colors it wouldn't call attention to itself as much.

A question I would have for someone who has one is since it's translucent does it provide the same kind of get-out-of-the-sun shade as a Sunbrella-type bimini?

I can certainly relate to Chuck's desire to eliminate the maintenance that comes with canvas covers and panels--- my wife has been spending a lot of time lately "saving" the older covers that came with our boat, particularly the ancient two-part flying bridge cover which has got to be approaching twenty years of age now.

I do kinda miss the yellow though. Now maybe I won't recognize you when passing.

The top was up in Issac and we had 45 knots of sustained wind at one point. The weak link is not the top, but the hardware that holds the bimini bows. We live in south Florida so hurricanes are an issue and if one were coming the top would have to come off. Not a big deal, you just need someplace to store it. It can be removed in one piece, it's really light. Afternoon thunderstorms can come up with 50 to 60 knots of wind and there isn't time to remove canvas or anything else sometimes. I would much rather have this up than sunbrella. We have just as much shade as the cloth bimini but with a little more light in the flybridge. Chuck

I do kinda miss the yellow though. Now maybe I won't recognize you when passing.

Yeah... I haven't seen your boat in person, but was always impressed with the bright yellow.. I'll miss that.

Alright guys. If I can figure out any way to make it yellow without screwing it up, I'll do it.

Maybe a yellow Sunbrella slip cover. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom