Wooden Boat Festival 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
October 12-14 2012, the Classic and Wooden Boat Festival 2012 was held at Darling Harbour Sydney by the Australian National Maritime Museum.
Halvorsen was well represented,with 18 cruisers from 22ft to 65 ft displayed,built between the 1930s and 1970s. Some in stunning condition, some in the course of restoration,others in between, a wonderful display of painted and varnished timber and polished fittings. The love,time and money owners lavish on their vessels was obvious, onboard inspections were welcome.I was just glad someone else was doing the maintenance.
There were timber yachts (sailboats),and other timber powerboats, including tugs,workboats,open launches and converted trawlers. A converted and restored Tasmanian cray(lobster) boat impressed,still with its Gardner engine; the "wet well" where seawater could flow inside the hull to keep the captured crays happy was removed.
The Sydney Heritage Fleet`s Lady Hopetoun, a steam launch built in 1922 for the Governor, offered an hour cruise on the Harbour for just $5. The faithful replica of the Endeavour used by Captain Cook to "discover" Australia, the graceful 1874 iron hulled barque James Craig lovingly restored from a rusting hulk to a sea-going ship, the Krait,a 50ft fishing boat used by Australian commandos to attach Japanese ships in Singapore in WW2, were among many boats on display.On the hardstand,there were boat building demonstrations, stalls offering marine items,entertainment, all you could wish for on a bright Sydney spring day. BruceK

Sounds like it was a good one, Bruce. We had our own up here last month, the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival (my favorite boat show!). We did a video feature on the fest: Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

From your description, sounds like our shows are similar.

Hi Darren, Impressive video! Your Festival attracts more exhibiting boats,ours was around 70 but the concept is very similar.I liked the Scottish trawler conversion. The Sydney show gave access to the whole Museum fleet which includes a sub, a destroyer,and other retired navy vessels. We only gave our visit a half day but next year I`ll make it a full day,and take the Nikon.
I see from your choice of vessel that like me,wooden boats are to be admired rather than owned,though our earlier fibreglass "trawlers" are getting toward vintage status at 30+ years.
Thanks again for the video, lots of Forum people will enjoy it. BruceK

"wooden boats are to be admired rather than owned"

I dunno about that, Bruce - I've manged to do both for some time!
Depends on what you want from your boat I guess
It`s more my lack of ability with timber repairs. Wish I was good at it. I`m left envying those with woodworking skills, and paying for the timber repairs on my window frames etc. BruceK

My motto has always been; "Date wood, marry fiberglass."

My motto has always been; "Date wood, marry fiberglass."
Always useful having wood on a date.
One boat at the Festival stays in mind: the 65ft Halvorsen "Silver Cloud". Mainly for the interior, finished with a mix of 2 pack white and teak. Ceilings, and the aft passageway "walls" to the sleeping cabins were off white, the ceilings had contrasting timber cross beams. What would have been a dark passage to the cabins was light and bright. Forward, bulkheads were removed to open up the interior,you could sit in the bow and see 60ft right to the transom cockpit, and vv of course.
The only helm was on the flybridge, the owner explained you could operate from anywhere by remote control device.
Timber Halvorsens are becoming the marine equivalent of a vintage car. In some ways Silver Cloud could be said to be "over-restored" inside, I was just as impressed, in a different way,with a Halvorsen 36 in original but refreshed condition,even the signature built in mirrored cocktail cabinet with drop down door remained.
Some time ago we tried joining the Halvorsen Club but f/glass IGs are only eligible as restricted second class members. BruceK

They're a provocative lot those woodies.

Attachments

• wooden boats12 032.jpg
    wooden boats12 032.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 136
  • wooden boats12 034.jpg
    wooden boats12 034.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom