Mainship bankruptcy where to get parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, so many of the recreational boat companies are like that, no long term support, even if you're willing top pay. Well, lots of companies in general for that matter. We had a thread some months ago about those Bestway dinghies. My air floor failed after six months. Delaminated and blew out and Bestway essentially said tough luck, even if wanted to buy a new one. And in contrast there's Scandvik (looks like they're Florida based or at least has an operation there). They've been making exactly the same transom push-button wash down nozzle for over 30 years, and I can still easily order a replacement for my '96 boat in five minutes for less than $50.

Attachments

• Scandvik.jpg
    Scandvik.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 16
Mainship, like many other mfg don't make their own parts they are all sourced from OEM suppliers. With some digging, lots of times you can find info on the OEM Mfg. There was a lot of MS Parts info, BOMs, etc online after they closed. I believe Marlow had no interest in serving older MS owners and pulled all the info. Too bad as it would not have been too difficult to move the info to another host, but it is gone now.
I was able to salvage some of the later model (MS, Luhrs & Hunter) part pics & info and have posted links to it, but there was much much more there before Marlow pulled the plug. I have written to them twice inquiring & offering to take it all over, but they would not even answer me.

Yeah, I don't get it, you'd think they wouldn't care about unloading it -- in some ways that's free long term customer support, done by somebody else, but instead they just abandon it all. Some companies don't even care to make a few bucks after-market. I offered Bestway half the price of a new dinghy for a replacement floor, plus shipping -- nope, they don't do that -- even though that blow-up raft is still in production and still being sold. Then I wrote to a corporate rep and said I intended to place a quantity order with a Chinese factory and advertise and sell the (odd sized) replacement floor for that dinghy myself online, openly marketing it as a replacement floor for their product. Never bothered to answer me. I figured that would at least get their attention and they'd want to protect their brand and market share. Nope. I know they're essentially just a drop-shipper and conduit for Chinese-made products, but they still ride on a brand name or identity, kind of like Wayfair.

I would love to find the "Mainship" decal used on the 1983 MIII. I've searched for an image on the web but can't seem to find it. We had the decks on up to the flybridge painted with Awlgrip and would like to reapply the Mainship logo.

If you page down to the Mainship II you'll see the chevron.

Attachments

• Mainship-Brochure.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Maybe I can find some help here I am looking for a shoe for a 2011 Mainship 395. If anyone has any info on where I can even start hunting for it would be greatly appreciated. I am try to find it in any for no old stock to salvage so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Mainship, like many other mfg don't make their own parts they are all sourced from OEM suppliers. With some digging, lots of times you can find info on the OEM Mfg. There was a lot of MS Parts info, BOMs, etc online after they closed. I believe Marlow had no interest in serving older MS owners and pulled all the info. Too bad as it would not have been too difficult to move the info to another host, but it is gone now.
I was able to salvage some of the later model (MS, Luhrs & Hunter) part pics & info and have posted links to it, but there was much much more there before Marlow pulled the plug. I have written to them twice inquiring & offering to take it all over, but they would not even answer me.

Don,

I have also heard that Marlow is not very friendly to Mainship owners. That's a shame and also rather strange as you would think they would welcome us as potential future customers. IMO that doesn't speak too well of how customer-service driven they are as a company.

Don,

I have also heard that Marlow is not very friendly to Mainship owners. That's a shame and also rather strange as you would think they would welcome us as potential future customers. IMO that doesn't speak too well of how customer-service driven they are as a company.
Bob
That has been my experience. I have emailed them twice with no response.
There was a lot of info online when MS closed down and I assume Marlow had access / control of it after the sale. It was all taken down. I offered to take over the chore of finding a way to repost it for MS owners benefit even if it took a fee for a new host site. I'm somewhat fortunate that I downloaded some of the late model yr MS 34T/HT parts info. Some other TF members / MS owners have provided part pics that they downloaded. That was the basis for what I've posted here on TF and posted on my Bacchus website. I'll bet there was 10X more available including schematics that were online at one time.

That's just a real shame. I also contacted them about something last year and got no reply. I understand that it's not their place to service all the existing MS owners but it would have taken very little for them to leave things online or let someone like you take it over. Just feels wrong, like they look down on Mainship even though they purchased it. Normally there's a better spirit of helping eachother within the boating community.

I want to replace both shafts, pee brackets and all cutlass bearings on a 1999 mainship 430. Can anyone point me in the right direction? One place for the lot would be perfect - I'm dreaming!

Seraphina check with BACCHUS. He is extremely knowledgeable about Mainship parts and repairs. Good luck!
Bella

Sebastion
Welcome aboard TF. Lots of knowledgeable Mainship owners here.
I'm not intimately familiar with your model. Only suggestion as a start would be to see the MS Parts "Sticky" at the top of the Marlow MS section and scan through the part thumbnails to find something that looks simbags.
If you open the photo it will also list supplier & part #.
Having the old parts will be key to finding identical replacements... I think the struts are usually marked with some identifying #s
My guess you might find the in the part pics, but I don't recall seeing any sharts listed. Many suppliers can fabricate shafts with a few basic dimensions that should be available from the old shafts. Usually it's dia, length and the specifics of the taper. The taper is the only tricky part to measure but any yard or machine shop should be able to help. Once you find the strut it should give info for the cutlass brgs.
Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom